Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

1 minute ago, stuie said:

She could have headlined though, but that’s beside the point here.  It was a brilliant set, made better by the glorious weather! Ah, the memories 😎

Yeah she probs could have. But Glasto HQ clearly didn't think so- which is what perplexes me about them saying that stuff after she was booked to sub. 

It was a great set, bloody roasting that day

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Never said it was, to be fair. But it's definitely gone through the roof since nominations. Hence why it wasn't like the Wet Leg hype.

Is it not more since she won rather than nominations. Agreed wet leg kinda came out of nowhere. They're pretty shite tho imo

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah she probs could have. But Glasto HQ clearly didn't think so- which is what perplexes me about them saying that stuff after she was booked to sub. 

It was a great set, bloody roasting that day

That was my big takeaway. If you're going to say that, then why not book her in the first place? Especially as we also knew GNR were a late call-up.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Is it not more since she won rather than nominations. Agreed wet leg kinda came out of nowhere. They're pretty shite tho imo

Oh, right, sorry. Yeah, absolutely is, that's fair.

if her trajectory does the job, then happy to see her do it. But... I remain unconvinced it will. Plenty of talented artists stall out below what many think they should achieve, even with garlanded success at their backs. (Lorde arguably should be bigger than she is, for example.)

42 minutes ago, crumbler said:

There's something about the recent uptick in Raye hype, particularly with the BRITs wins, that doesn't sit right with me. Not to go all tin hat but I've been wondering if part of it is a ploy to artificially boost her popularity in an attempt to create another international British superstar at a time when there's a dearth of them.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think is artificially boosting her popularity? Is there some secret pop illuminati controlling the hype?

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's the Royal Family.

Fair enough, knew there was something dodgy going on with them. Killed princess Di so Elton could get another number 1

I genuinely think it goes underrated how the biggest festival around is run by Emily. 

Literally look at anywhere else - it's all blokes (Melvin Benn, Andy Copping) but having someone who understands what it's like to be a woman in the music industry and actually make a push for equality is amazing.

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Just out of curiosity, who do you think is artificially boosting her popularity? Is there some secret pop illuminati controlling the hype?

Well, it’s not a secret pop illuminati but she went to BRIT school and she won a lot of BRIT awards… just like Adele, Amy Winehouse and Jessie J! 

It’s probably just a coincidence 😂😂

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Well, it’s not a secret pop illuminati but she went to BRIT school and she won a lot of BRIT awards… just like Adele, Amy Winehouse and Jessie J! 

It’s probably just a coincidence 😂😂

I suppose if someone is talented/dedicated enough to get into brit school they've probably got a bit of an advantage!

2 hours ago, stuie said:

From what I’ve gathered on my old man discovery, I would say so. It seems that there’s genuine reason and demand for this SZA lady to headline but I don’t see any difference in Doja since 2022 other stage booking. 

Doja was subbing the Pyramid in 2022, Sam Fender replaced her.

1 hour ago, crumbler said:

There's something about the recent uptick in Raye hype, particularly with the BRITs wins, that doesn't sit right with me. Not to go all tin hat but I've been wondering if part of it is a ploy to artificially boost her popularity in an attempt to create another international British superstar at a time when there's a dearth of them.

Thats not tin hat. The BRITS are an industry promotional tool, they’ve always been used to push certain artists into the public consciousness.

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Thats not tin hat. The BRITS are an industry promotional tool, they’ve always been used to push certain artists into the public consciousness.

Probably not as effective these days going by the (abysmal) viewing figures.

16 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I genuinely think it goes underrated how the biggest festival around is run by Emily. 

Literally look at anywhere else - it's all blokes (Melvin Benn, Andy Copping) but having someone who understands what it's like to be a woman in the music industry and actually make a push for equality is amazing.

Absolutely. Won't knock her push.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've been out of the loop today but from what I can gather from a quick scan, Emily confirmed two headliners are female and the poster is out next week? Anything else?

Nothing else on this years festival but plenty on her and her experience of working in the industry.

Was a great talk and glad I managed to bag a seat almost right at the front. 😊

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Was a great talk and glad I managed to bag a seat almost right at the front. 😊

Actually really jealous! I find her a very interesting character. Obviously her route in to the industry was very natural but she’s more than proven herself and I love that she’s been scrappy and got the men to take her seriously and give her respect. 

23 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I suppose if someone is talented/dedicated enough to get into brit school they've probably got a bit of an advantage!

I've had three nephews/nieces do britschool. It's not a guarantee of success. One of those is having good acting success. After working hard and getting some recognition.