UK Politics

kalifire

I live in an area of Manchester with a fairly high muslim population. Normally in the lead up to an election there's Labour signs everywhere, not seen one. Also had hardly any pamphlets through the door, only some from local independent guy who's against clear air zones etc.

I work in an area further out, is wealthier, whiter, older, and normally see a mix of Tory and Lib Dem signs. Not seen any Tory signs, have seen a few Lib Dem signs, and some Labour ones in the not so wealthy areas.

So...I extrapolate from that...turnout is going to be low.

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

There is something very funny about the author writing a very long essay about what Starmer believes with the reader being no closer at the end. Does he think that he’s done? That everyone gets it now. Starmer believes in X, Y, Z.

Nah, the only thing you can say is that whatever Starmer believes in, its the opposite of what he used to want to do. And then its opposite of that, and then the opposite of whatever he says he wants to do next.

its stuff he'll be able to do because hes not as sh*t as your guy.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I live in an area of Manchester with a fairly high muslim population. Normally in the lead up to an election there's Labour signs everywhere, not seen one. Also had hardly any pamphlets through the door, only some from local independent guy who's against clear air zones etc.

I work in an area further out, is wealthier, whiter, older, and normally see a mix of Tory and Lib Dem signs. Not seen any Tory signs, have seen a few Lib Dem signs, and some Labour ones in the not so wealthy areas.

glad to see someone else deciding that visible signs of support have a meaning for how the vote will go.

bet  you won't get the same hate baclk on you from the non-thinkers.

don't for get to vote today, anything but tory, reckon there might be some "the pen slipped"types around here 😛 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

1 hour ago, Neil said:

glad to see someone else deciding that visible signs of support have a meaning for how the vote will go.

bet  you won't get the same hate baclk on you from the non-thinkers.

Burnham is polling at 70% ish no? So when Burnham wins comfortably can we then conclude the signs theory is pretty baseless?

But yes turnout will be low i'm sure but also sure Burnham will absolutely walk it. Most elections are based on votes cast and not signs spotted by efests members as far as im aware

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

can we then conclude the signs theory is pretty baseless?

we can conclude that your analysis isn't very good, because there's more than the number of party posters to arrive at a conclusion.

30 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Burnham is polling at 70% ish no? So when Burnham wins comfortably can we then conclude the signs theory is pretty baseless?

But yes turnout will be low i'm sure but also sure Burnham will absolutely walk it. Most elections are based on votes cast and not signs spotted by efests members as far as im aware

Yes Burnham will walk it, and Manchester council will continue to be dominated by Labour, and so yes sign theory will likely be baseless over all...just saying what I see. You wouldn't know there was any election on at all around here, muslim households are not supporting Labour, at least not as visibly as they have in the past, and in usual Tory areas people are not supporting Tory, again not visibly.

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Its all PFI style contracts for private business investment. This costs a lot more in the long run because they have to guarantee returns. Needing private investment is also why they are going back on workers rights

I can't find anything to backup the claim. But I've just seen someone say that Bristol greens have been getting funding from the merchant venturers ( that's slavery cash if you don't know who the merchant venturers are).

2 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Its all PFI style contracts for private business investment. This costs a lot more in the long run because they have to guarantee returns. Needing private investment is also why they are going back on workers rights

Greens would be against that cos it'll include nuclear generation. Needed to keep the lights on)

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm in a west yorkshire town in a Tory marginal with a Labour council. Multiple leaflets and 3 knocks on the door from Labour. Nothing from anyone else apart from one Tory leaflet through the post.  I took that to mean Labour have motivated activists rather than that they are worried.

8 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I'm in a west yorkshire town in a Tory marginal with a Labour council. Multiple leaflets and 3 knocks on the door from Labour. Nothing from anyone else apart from one Tory leaflet through the post.  I took that to mean Labour have motivated activists rather than that they are worried.

Labour activists will be all over the mayoralties today, in their hundreds, if not thousands. At the 2019 general election, my constituency had c. 500 out on the doorstep, trying to keep it Labour (LD marginal with dodgy ex-Lab incumbent). They'll also be hammering the phones. 

Leaflets this year are the usual saturation coverage from LDs, some Greens, one Lab, and a Green doorstep last week. We're 3-way for the council, in that order.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

Greens would be against that cos it'll include nuclear generation. Needed to keep the lights on)

Yeah I remember the Nuclear Power No Thanks stickers.They were successful in Germany which meant they needed russian gas and turned back to coal for a time after the Ukraine invasion.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

we can conclude that your analysis isn't very good, because there's more than the number of party posters to arrive at a conclusion.

no idea what this means. my analysis was tory signs in manchester means nothing cause Labour will walk it. Tell me what you think it means?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

You wouldn't know there was any election on at all around here

not shocked aye, last time turnout was under 35 %

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve only got the police and crime thing to vote for … excuse my ignorance but does that really make any difference if I vote or not ? Likely I will anyway 

In case you’re interested this explains the PCC role a bit. I’d always recommend to vote!

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/how-elections-work/types-elections/police-and-crime-commissioners