UK Politics

kalifire

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Country

Nope. The country is the U.K. The nations are England, Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales. If Wales was a country they could compete in the olympics as Wales.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, lost said:

Nope. The country is the U.K. The nations are England, Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales. If Wales was a country they could compete in the olympics as Wales.

Complete tosh 

35 minutes ago, lost said:

Yeah that's incorrect, Wales is one of 4 constituent countries of the UK (which is the sovereign nation/country).

50 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Complete tosh 

Came up on pointless too.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/pointless-celebrities-wales-richard-osmond-17114537

TV wine expert Olly Smith, opted to answer with Wales over other contestant's choices including Chad and Chile.

But the foodie's attempt was rejected as Osman replied: "United Kingdom is the country I'm afraid."

by countries I mean a sovereign state that is recognised by the United Nations

Edited by lost

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

just feels like Labour are fighting amongst themselves with this racism hierarchy thing depending on what faction you are from...you're a racist, no you're a racist etc etc. I guess get it everywhere though...we probably all are guilty of it.

Neil Coyle is a racist c**t and shouldn't be in the Labour party.

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

Pointless has long established that only Sovreign Countries are acceptable answers when they ask for countries as an answer. In real life, Wales is by definition a country.

They are using the cambridge dictionary defination aren't they? I understand people nowadays use terms interchangeably but based on that dictionary definition its impossible to have a country in a country.

1 minute ago, lost said:

They are using the cambridge dictionary defination aren't they? I understand people nowadays use terms interchangeably but based on that dictionary definition its impossible to have a country in a country.

Sovereign Country is a specific title, which refers to the UK. Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are the 4 Constituent Countries that make up the UK. 

5 minutes ago, lost said:

a country that is part of the United Kingdom

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/scotland?q=Scotland

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

although she says it's bullshit.

its not bullshit we all saw what she wrote, and what she was asked to do to get the whip back.

16 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

And this one says something completely different: 😆

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/learner-english/country

As i said words can evolve and be used interchangeably. Tradionally like say the Rugby it started as the four nations then France and Italy were added later but thats why it uses the term nation not country.

Edited by lost

15 minutes ago, lost said:

As i said words can evolve and be used interchangeably. Tradionally like say the Rugby it started as the four nations then France and Italy were added later but thats why it uses the term nation not country.

glasgow is not a part of scotland. 😛 

no one cares about these apart from scots who think the language they choose to use themselves is doing them down.

i'd love to know how Gaelic deals with these things?

2 minutes ago, lost said:

When I lived in Reading the council put city centre on aload of street signs even though it was a town.

i lived most of my life 20 miles from reading (and worked in reading too)and always thought it was a city.(i now know it wasn't back then.

35 minutes ago, lost said:

That doesn't say something completely different - it actually confirms Wales as being a country, since there is a Welsh Government 😅

The UK government refers to the UK as a country of countries. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cellar said:

That doesn't say something completely different - it actually confirms Wales as being a country, since there is a Welsh Government 😅

So you don't think it was before 1999? 😁Thats when the "national" assembly was created

Edited by lost

17 minutes ago, lost said:

So you don't think it was before 1999? 😁Thats when the "national" assembly was created

I just know that it is a country now - it is a constituent country of the sovereign country of the UK. That is what Wales is. You can call it a nation as well, but it is also a country.