2024 New Music

Quark

If anyone's a fan of jazz piano i'd check out the new Amaro Freitas album. Really interesting Brazilian jazz piano, with some input from Shabaka Hutchings on flute and Jeff Parker on guitar. The album is inspired by the music of Manaus, a city in the Amazon rainforest home to 2 million, it's some very cool sounding music.

https://youtu.be/geAqxBp-Uhk?feature=shared

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:32 PM, The Nal said:

17 year old Grace Bowers

Stevie Wonder/George Clinton meets the Allmans

That's class.  17?  Wow.  What a talent.

I think Jordan Rakei's new album, The Loop, is extremely good. I've bumped him up from a would-be-nice to a must-see (particularly if it's sunny) on my clashfinder as a result.

• Upvote 1

I've been working through the Strummerville lineup and came across Page of Cups.

Their recent album from March is quite good. They describe themselves as a blend of  indie pop, industrial grit, and electronic sounds. Recommended.

If anyone's a fan of IDM type music, i'd recommend the new Jlin album, quite experimental, full of really interesting rhythms and synth sounds. Got features from Björk and Philip Glass too. Loving it at the moment.

Been listening to the new Tyla album from a couple months back recently and it's got some great smooth summery vibes. Like how she's bringing amapiano to the mainstream. Can see a big future for her, wouldn't be surprised if she gets a prominent slot at the festival next year. 'Water' is a massive banger, and this one is too.

Edited by Acid_Haze

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Big miss for this year. One of many. 

Wouldn't be surprised if she was booked for this year, and pulled out when she got a head injury + cancelled her tour

Finally listened to Cowboy Carter all the way through and I think it's fantastic. How she blends so many different musical styles into one album while keeping it very Beyonce is amazing. It's got to be one of the albums of this year that gets remembered in years to come. Not sure if I prefer it to Renaissance or Lemonade purely because country isn't totally my thing but you can't deny it's still one of the best albums of this year. The single "16 Carriages" is brilliant, but so is this one.

Edited by Acid_Haze

Holy sh*t just listened to the new Vampire Weekend album and it blew me away. So much going on with it, some of the most poignant lyrics they've written and some of the most interesting and masterly music they've ever made. Wasn't that fussed by their last album but this one is easily their best. New favourite album of the year. Give it a listen, and Emily please give them an Other stage headline slot next year.

On 4/24/2024 at 1:49 PM, CharlotteB said:

They're not on the Glasto lineup (yet) but I'm really into a Norwegian all girl punk band called twominuteshate. So early 00's sounding and nostalgic!

Just had a listen to these guys and they’re great. You hit the nail on the head with early 00s sound, if you hadn’t told me they were new I would have 100% thought I’d just missed them first time around. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Holy sh*t just listened to the new Vampire Weekend album and it blew me away. So much going on with it, some of the most poignant lyrics they've written and some of the most interesting and masterly music they've ever made. Wasn't that fussed by their last album but this one is easily their best. New favourite album of the year. Give it a listen, and Emily please give them an Other stage headline slot next year.

The duality of man. I have listened to 53 albums so far, and this is my second least favourite. Bored me to tears.

A week late, but really dug that new BMTH record. Gets a bit too indulgent at times - last track is soft - and jury's out whether they have the wholesale pop chops without Fish in terms of songwriting - the best "new" stuff was still the material with his fingerprints all over it - but bodes well at the very least.