Wide Awake festival 2024

mahoneypepe

3 hours ago, internetjef said:

What’s the walk time between main stage and the 2nd stage ? Would be keen to see a bit of bodega / dry cleaning / fat dog 

doable or would I miss most of each set transferring ?

Easily doable if they use the same layout as last year. Probably 5 mins tops transfer time between the stages.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BoogiemanCam said:

Given that King Gizz is not really up against any other big acts, what do people reckon of the chance of finding a good spot in the crowd without waiting for a while?

Was wondering if it would be possible to dip halfway through Lynks but am pretty sure I would find myself trying to watch main stage from behind the trees..

Isn't Sevdaliza quite big? Also the Byrne's Night supergroup might be a decent draw. I'm not sure the Gizz are of much interest to a wider crowd, my bigger fear is there will be loads of talkers completely disinterested and ruining it for the rest of us. 

Never seen King Gizz before but super hyped for it. Have heard they have a pretty solid group of die hard fans who sometimes go full commitment and dress up as charachters from songs ha. If it further back and there is talkers I am gonna try and get stuck in with these guys 

hoping to get a couple of tracks from mind fuzz / nonagon infinity as those are albums I am most familiar with. Appreciate could be absolutely anything though. The most recent album with gila monster will prob get a few but that’s a bit more hard metal than I normally go for 

Edited by internetjef

15 hours ago, BoogiemanCam said:

Easily doable if they use the same layout as last year. Probably 5 mins tops transfer time between the stages.

Live locally so was in the park yest - build is in full swing and main and second stages (assuming the second one was the smaller outdoor stage) are in the same place as last year

• Like 3

Has anyone got their tickets yet for this Saturday? I bought some tickets via the Kaboodle offer and others on Twickets and haven't received anything yet. Getting a bit late now, and I thought I read they'd be sent out last weekend or so.

1 hour ago, rivaldo said:

Has anyone got their tickets yet for this Saturday? I bought some tickets via the Kaboodle offer and others on Twickets and haven't received anything yet. Getting a bit late now, and I thought I read they'd be sent out last weekend or so.

No, but I've had generic e-mails so they at least seem to know I exist 

First time at Wide Awake Festival in London. Despite being very busy and the site not being huge, I was generally impressed. Never really had to queue long for anything. That said, apparently they only sold 80% of tickets. Not sure if the site could have coped with another 20%.

Line up was what made it. Apart from 2021, the previous 2 live ups didn’t do it for me whereas this year was much stronger. Saw loads but the standouts were Young Fathers, Fat Dog, Squid and The New Eves.

Edited by more matey
  • Like 1

Cracking day out . Saw bodega , dry cleaning, fat dog , young fathers and king gizz. Last two were the highlight. 

Can bars meant didn’t have to que for a drink all day. The main and 2nd stage easy to walk between. Also found a rum slushy cocktail bar that provided a welcome change of pace to beers. Seemed some decent food options too. 

would definitely attend again, esp if the lineup is as strong as it was / suited to my tastes as this year 

• Like 1

So I was toying with going and then a 45 quid VIP ticket appeared online that I got yesterday morning. Went solo..

Is VIP worth it. For 45 quid, yes. The lineup pays for itself so the extra bit of comfort is nice but totally down to you if you will use it. The bar was dead, the food queues ting, lots of seating space , the bathrooms lovely but did have a queue now and again but I only needed the urinal. Viewing platform is nice but found the sound a bit iffy from there.

The thing is , the rest of the festival was absolutely blissful. Like the best run festival Ive been to in London.

The main stage , down by the right hand side was really easy to get to the front. I was almost on the rail for Young Fathers(shout out to the sign language peeps) For King Gizzard it was far busier but I am not the biggest fan so it wasn't a big deal.

The walk between main and and second was decent. The bar situation was again, amazing. Never waited for a beer and went to a few different spots. I think cans for most part also controlled my level of drunkenness. 

The rough trade spots, meet and greets especially were a great idea. Met modeselektor very briefly. Got some merch from the rough trade store and went on my way. Speaking of the , only negative I have is the stage they were on had really low sound. I saw Helena Hauff and if wasn't great and the noise bleed from the red bull spot was pretty bad. Modeselektor later on also had pretty crap sound and I was stood right by the middle at the mixing desk.

Will certainly go again, may just do GA unless I can get VIP as cheaply as that. But for 50 quid , that line up, the logistics , the spot (Herne hill has some great spots. Off the cuff was amazing) it's a far more enjoyable fest than I expected

Sets I saw 

Top Dog - never heard of them. Unbelievable set. Now a big fan. Absolutely mental and bizarre 

David Holmes - legend. Sinead O Connor mix was a moment. 

Helena Hauff - bad sound. Couldn't get into it. So ended up at the red bull bar while some dnb DJ dropped some fun mixes. She was a great time. 

Charlotte and Bolis - so much fun and great energy. Another recommendation from a friend. Really fun vibe.

Young Fathers - their reputation as one of the best live bands is true. Opening up with Queen is Dead was a pure blast of sound. Danced my arse off. Cried a bit. Was sad when it was over. 

Alice Glass - I'm a bit crystal castles guy. I kinda like her solo stuff. I love HEALTH and I know Jupiter Keyes was touring with her at one point. 

Worst set by far. Constantly complaining. It was almost a Grimes level melt down. Her attitude sucked. I saw how she treated the back stage from where I was standing. Really a shame

Slowdive - legends again. Second stage in general with sound and beer being right there , great spot. 

Modeselektor - let down by the sound at that tent. 

Left quickly and got the tube home. 

Fun night. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TWEBBLE said:

Semi off topic Q, but what were the drinks prices like? 

Girlfriend is going to Hoopla at the same venue next week and drink prices always lined up in previous years

Not terrible if you’re used to London prices. Go to the craft bar where there are pints for £7.50 compared to £6.95 for 500ml cans of Lost Lager.

Optics doubles are £10.50 w/ mixer. Cocktails £13. 

• Thanks 1

Had a good day and would consider going again, but only if it were half price or less. As with other London events the volume was generally too low but also various acts were marred by people talking throughout no matter how close to the stage it was. Lambrini Girls was great until the end when someone was on the main stage - too much sound bleed.

Gizz were phenomenal and I’m glad the first half was very so heavy as that seemed to send the talkers elsewhere 

1 hour ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Not terrible if you’re used to London prices. Go to the craft bar where there are pints for £7.50 compared to £6.95 for 500ml cans of Lost Lager.

Optics doubles are £10.50 w/ mixer. Cocktails £13. 

Seen better but seen worse.

Hope you all had a great time!

£10.50 for a 3 quid can of MOTH cocktail is a bit punchy, although that's what the Roundhouse was charging too the other week. £7.50 a pint, maybe it depends where you drink in London, but that makes me wince a bit too. Great day out though, thought the sound was really good, although obviously the weather helped with that. Tempted by a 40 quid early bird for next year.

Glad to hear most people had a great time. In hindsight how lucky were we with the weather? Splashfest on the Monday looked like it lived up to it's name in the way you wouldn't want, and now Hoopla this weekend might be in doubt?? 😧

I've been to all four WA since 2021 and this may be the best one. Despite being a tad underwhelmed when the initial line up was released as me and my group who go aren't Gizz disciples (I know, I'm sorry). However, they threw us a bone with Young Fathers and then after doing some revision on the line up found loads of great acts as I always do!

highlights for me on the day were:

The Itch - only one song on Spotify so far but it sounds great so took a punt on these and no disappointed. somewhere between Depeche/ LCD/ the rapture. really excited to hear more of their stuff and hopefully see them again live soon!

Bodega - very Parquet courts feel to these, was a bit far back so couldnt get fully into it but was a great set and again very keen to see them live again soon. they seem to have 3+ albums already so plenty to get stuck into.

The Dare - this was the wildcard entry but what a fantastic set! one guy on stage alone but he has the moves to pull it off and had the crowd in the palm of his hand for 45 minutes. I imagine his music isnt too everyone's taste but a good fun festival afternoon act for sure.

Byrne's night - bit of a delay to get going (I think on reflection a tad ambitious to only have a 15 minute gap to set up around a dozen musicians, all from different bands!) but it was great fun playing all the TH bangers and having a great singaling, and the visuals from Scottish films and pop culture in the background set it off nicely.

already sorted my early bird for next year. at £40 it's laughably good value

• Like 1