Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

10 minutes ago, Akujin said:

He is defo sub. Last year we had subs like AJR, Carson Coma, Yung Lean.

One huge hit song is enough for sub spot at Sziget.

Aren't subs playing from 19:30?

All of these were playing in the afternoon, 17:30.

That's why I think Tom Odell will play from 17:30 as well, we'll have a sub at 19:30, and the headliner from 21:45. 

Edited by kristofm

28 minutes ago, kristofm said:

That's why I think Tom Odell will play from 17:30 as well, we'll have a sub at 19:30, and the headliner from 21:45. 

Oh you are absolutely right. I misremembered. But still Arlo Parks, Niall Horan probably similar caliber.

At the same time Foals played 17:30 but I think that was an outlier.

Due to the super weak day Tom could be bumped to 17:30 but my strong guess is sub

2 hours ago, kristofm said:

He played from 17:30 in 2019, and I don' think much changed since then 🤷‍♂️

On 4/1/2024 at 11:09 AM, #1SzigetFan said:

Blur would be awesome too... I totally forgot they're playing Coachella

He won't... we already know the remaining headliner is a band, not a solo artist

Bands touring on those dates : The National, The Smile, LCD Soundsystem, Massive Attack, Pulp, Queens of the Stone Age, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kristofm said:

Don't even... 😞

Im Still (Naively) hoping for The Strokes.

Leaks mentioned that they were negotiating with them although they have no tour announced. If the negotiating would be nonsense from beginning, he wouldnt mention them at all, he might have as well mentioned U2 or smthng.

Shame that our only hope lies in announcing single band. We used to have lot of live bands before..

13 hours ago, thetime said:

Except the quality of the lineups...

Ugh.

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Gabi Ruiz said:

Bands we won’t see on those dates : The National, The Smile, LCD Soundsystem, Massive Attack, Pulp, Queens of the Stone Age, 

Here, fixed that for you.

I have my hopes up for a traditional rock n roll band. So announcing Swedish House Mafia would destroy me. Even Jungle (who I love) would be a disappointment.

No Doubt, Blur, The Strokes or  QOTSA will do nicely, thank you very much. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AndrewChrist1996 said:

Lenny Kravitz has just been confirmed for UNTOLD (which is in Romania in the same weekend) today so maybe he's one of the missing acts for Sziget?

He would definitely headline if Sziget had him but he's not a band, so I guess it's unlikely

He also plays in Budapest on the 30th July, so he's out.

29 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

No Doubt, Blur, The Strokes or QOTSA will do nicely, thank you very much. 

I'm also rooting for No Doubt and Blur. The Strokes and Maneskin would be also okay but they wouldn't amaze me as much as No Doubt or Blur would do. QOTSA are fine too but they will be already at another festival I'm going to (Electric Castle), so I hope we get something better. 😁

Edited by #1SzigetFan

4 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

He would definitely headline if Sziget had him but he's not a band, so I guess it's unlikely

He also plays in Budapest on the 30th July, so he's out.

I'm also rooting for No Doubt and Blur. The Strokes and Maneskin would be also okay but they wouldn't amaze me as much as No Doubt or Blur would do. QOTSA are fine too but they will be already at another festival I'm going to (Electric Castle), so I hope we get something better. 😁

Lenny Kravitz is already playing in Budapest arena on July 30, so he is not playing Sziget.

4 hours ago, thetime said:

Fred Again day selling well.

seeing only this last day selling, proves that we're right : the 2024 line up is really weak.

We knew it, we said it, and now the "big sziget brains" can realize it.

Usually, when bookers f**ked a line-up up (is this correct english lol ?), do they get fired ? because, well, 2024 will remain in everyones' heads, but not for the 30th anniversary lol...

21 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

seeing only this last day selling, proves that we're right : the 2024 line up is really weak.

Usually, when bookers f**ked a line-up up (is this correct english lol ?), do they get fired ? because, well, 2024 will remain in everyones' heads, but not for the 30th anniversary lol...

Jesus Christ, we get it. It's bad but isn't this year bad everywhere? Noone is getting fired when even Coachella and Glastonbury struggle with their lineups. I don't know why you keep expecting miracles.

• Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

While I completely agree the lineup is weak AF, full of (cheaper) solo artists, etc., I guess it is not about bookers doing a bad job, but just low budget thing. That's it for this money. If they could book someone exclusive, they would. As well it is a year of only a few proper headliners touring through Europe so that doesn't help either.  

Sziget is evidently more leaning into electronics and trying to win over a younger audience, they offered 21&Under ticket for a reason and it may save this edition, while there will be less and less "regulars". Sziget is changing rapidly, organizers surely know they can't compete with some festivals anymore and they will try to go down a different path (i hope this expression makes any sense)  

Edited by activean

41 minutes ago, activean said:

While I completely agree the lineup is weak AF, full of (cheaper) solo artists, etc., I guess it is not about bookers doing a bad job, but just low budget thing. That's it for this money. If they could book someone exclusive, they would. As well it is a year of only a few proper headliners touring through Europe so that doesn't help either.  

Sziget is evidently more leaning into electronics and trying to win over a younger audience, they offered 21&Under ticket for a reason and it may save this edition, while there will be less and less "regulars". Sziget is changing rapidly, organizers surely know they can't compete with some festivals anymore and they will try to go down a different path (i hope this expression makes any sense)  

Offering the u21 ticket is a good initiative, electric castle is doing the same.

With festivals getting to a point of being over priced, they need to get new people to come to the festival. 

Take reading/leeds and parklife festivals as examples. 2 festivals who rely on the 18-21 age range to buy tickets, neither is sold out. 

Roskilde and rock werchter are other examples, festivals are just not selling apart from a select few. 

4 hours ago, thetime said:

Offering the u21 ticket is a good initiative, electric castle is doing the same.

With festivals getting to a point of being over priced, they need to get new people to come to the festival. 

Take reading/leeds and parklife festivals as examples. 2 festivals who rely on the 18-21 age range to buy tickets, neither is sold out. 

Roskilde and rock werchter are other examples, festivals are just not selling apart from a select few. 

Roskilde always sells out, no matter who plays there. 

8 hours ago, Newjem said:

Jesus Christ, we get it. It's bad but isn't this year bad everywhere? Noone is getting fired when even Coachella and Glastonbury struggle with their lineups. I don't know why you keep expecting miracles.

heuuu, no. It is not bad everywhere.You might blindly support the BullShit line up Sziget is giving us this year, but it is not everyones' case. Without criticism, festivals would keep on going with cheap/poor acts.

So please allow me, since I pay for this festival amongst others, to express what I feel about this particular year.

And then, I can show you a couple fests' in 2024 with a nice programs I consider better than Sziget (these are only a few examples).

1850906879_res2024.thumb.jpg.9893ebe5fc4946738a27b380763844bf.jpgwerchter.thumb.webp.03db41fcbc41973e8d43a7d1d6e55110.webpmainsq.thumb.jpg.642ddc3a7d264e41639f90a00c87955a.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt86 said:

heuuu, no. It is not bad everywhere.You might blindly support the BullShit line up Sziget is giving us this year, but it is not everyones' case. Without criticism, festivals would keep on going with cheap/poor acts.

So please allow me, since I pay for this festival amongst others, to express what I feel about this particular year.

And then, I can show you a couple fests' in 2024 with a nice programs I consider better than Sziget (these are only a few examples).

I don't blindly support Sziget's lineup (I don't even have a ticket lol) but if the festivals you picked are the best ones then it just proves my point (even though music taste is subjective). We get that you're dissapointed as a paying customer but you don't have to complain about it here every week.

Rock En Seine is solid, I'm not a fan of the headliners apart from Fred and maybe Maneskin. Lana is huge but probably one of the worst live acts in the world right now.

Rock Werchter is just weak compared to their previous editions. Lenny as a headliner? And wtf are Sum 41, Khruangbin and Pretenders doing so high up? In general, there are way too many "outdated/irrelevant" bands in big slots this year and barely anything "interesting/fresh".

And I'm sorry but Main Square is a joke, man. What kind of crowd are they aiming for? It's like putting lots of random things in a blender and calling it "mystery smoothie". I listen to loads of different stuff but even I think this is way too much.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Matt86 said:

1850906879_res2024.thumb.jpg.9893ebe5fc4946738a27b380763844bf.jpgwerchter.thumb.webp.03db41fcbc41973e8d43a7d1d6e55110.webpmainsq.thumb.jpg.642ddc3a7d264e41639f90a00c87955a.jpg

Everyone is after a different experience for a festival, not everyone will agree on the quality of the lineup, I think what Sziget have tried to do this year is book relevant artists, depending on the genre you like will maybe decide on if you think the lineup is strong or weak, the sziget lineup this year seems to be more leaning to the dance/house/EDM side, but that genre of music is by a mile the strongest most popular genre there is currently.

All of the other lineups above seem to be more nostalgic than relevant, maybe I am wrong but I cannot remember the last time I heard that Placebo/Lenny Kravitz/Offspring/Massive attack/Pj Harvey had a hit song ? not saying they are not great performers but they are not relevant to todays market.

Sziget, may not have the biggest names, but 90% of the artists are relevant in todays market and will appeal to most of the people.