Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

Something i was really wondering this year, what happened to the beach area? I mean i know it was closed due to high water levels but in 2018 (last time i went) the beach area was HUGE and amazing. Everyone was chilling and the place was just really beautiful.This year it was, well, a shitshow.

was it just because of the high water or is sziget beach just not a thing anymore?

17 minutes ago, poelim said:

Something i was really wondering this year, what happened to the beach area? I mean i know it was closed due to high water levels but in 2018 (last time i went) the beach area was HUGE and amazing. Everyone was chilling and the place was just really beautiful.This year it was, well, a shitshow.

was it just because of the high water or is sziget beach just not a thing anymore?

Yes, it was smaller due to high water. 2018 was the complete opposite because of the drought so there was a lot of space for the beach.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SkaPanda said:

First names for Flow Helsinki: Fred again.., Pulp, The Smile, PJ Harvey, Jessie Ware, Denzel Curry, Kenya Grace, Overmono, Body & Soul, Herrensauna, ibe, Arppa & Sunnuntain Seireenit, Antti Autio 4, Verneri Pohjola: Monkey Mind, Joalin, and Tinyhawk & Bizzarro

Same as Way Out West, I'd happily take Fred Again.., Pulp and PJ Harvey. 

The Smile would be interesting but not sure they and PJ Harvey are the kind of acts Sziget go for at the moment.

1 hour ago, SkaPanda said:

First names for Flow Helsinki: Fred again.., Pulp, The Smile, PJ Harvey, Jessie Ware, Denzel Curry, Kenya Grace, Overmono, Body & Soul, Herrensauna, ibe, Arppa & Sunnuntain Seireenit, Antti Autio 4, Verneri Pohjola: Monkey Mind, Joalin, and Tinyhawk & Bizzarro

I would assume that Sziget would want to fulfill lost bookings from 2020 which means Denzel Curry (and Of Monsters and Men) would make sense in my mind.

Edited by iamdebrii
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SkaPanda said:

Are these big names?

Like... normally I look at line ups and even though I don't know the music of the headliners I've at least heard of them.

But beside Denzel Curry I've never ever heard of anyone from this list. Maybe Pulp, but I think I'm just mixing it up with PUP. 

Also, if I'm looking at the Spotify steaming numbers, I see Fred again at 13.5m streams/month, PJ Harvey 1.5m/month, Pulp 2.5m/month.

From last year, Florence was at about 20m, David Guetta 60m, Billie Eilish 66m, Imagine Dragons 57m, Mumford 10m, Lorde 22m, Macklemore 31m.

So... I know streaming numbers aren't really the deciding factor, I was just wondering... like, who are the ones expected to headline this festival? Most festivals around August haven't really announced big names yet - except Sam Smith (56m) -, but it might be early days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kristofm said:

Are these big names?

Like... normally I look at line ups and even though I don't know the music of the headliners I've at least heard of them.

But beside Denzel Curry I've never ever heard of anyone from this list. Maybe Pulp, but I think I'm just mixing it up with PUP. 

Also, if I'm looking at the Spotify steaming numbers, I see Fred again at 13.5m streams/month, PJ Harvey 1.5m/month, Pulp 2.5m/month.

From last year, Florence was at about 20m, David Guetta 60m, Billie Eilish 66m, Imagine Dragons 57m, Mumford 10m, Lorde 22m, Macklemore 31m.

So... I know streaming numbers aren't really the deciding factor, I was just wondering... like, who are the ones expected to headline this festival? Most festivals around August haven't really announced big names yet - except Sam Smith (56m) -, but it might be early days.

Fred and Pulp are very big names 

• Like 1

Another idea completely out of nowhere:

"'Cause you could be the beauty and I could be the monster"

"A m*rf**king monster who's searching for redemption"

They are headlining every festival they are in this summer, only Jun-Jul dates announced only though, but I guess with big Italian fanbase on Sziget, it would be a nobrainer to book them if they would be around.

1 hour ago, kristofm said:

Are these big names?

Just confirming you've never heard of Pulp?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lukatej said:

Another idea completely out of nowhere:

"'Cause you could be the beauty and I could be the monster"

"A m*rf**king monster who's searching for redemption"

They are headlining every festival they are in this summer, only Jun-Jul dates announced only though, but I guess with big Italian fanbase on Sziget, it would be a nobrainer to book them if they would be around.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them both play and headline.

Edited by billybigballs

2 hours ago, kristofm said:

Are these big names?

I hope its early days...

4 hours ago, gingerevans84 said:

Just confirming you've never heard of Pulp?

Yup. I might be young for that or something, it seems like they were big in the early/mid 90s.

Wouldn't it be something like booking Billy Idol in - let's say - 2014? I really don't see if we've got an audience for this in Budapest in this moment in time, but it could be just my ignorance, we'll see of the organizers agree.

9 minutes ago, kristofm said:

Yup. I might be young for that or something, it seems like they were big in the early/mid 90s.

Wouldn't it be something like booking Billy Idol in - let's say - 2014? I really don't see if we've got an audience for this in Budapest in this moment in time, but it could be just my ignorance, we'll see of the organizers agree.

Probably is an age thing and possibly a cultural thing too if Pulp didn't have quite the impact in Budapest as they did in the UK. The Billy Idol comparison would work with an artist who is looked on as having great integrity, humour and intelligent lyrics attached to killer hooks as opposed to, say, Sweet Sixteen and Mony Mony.

Also, Pulp in the mid-90s were one of the three biggest 'Britpop' acts alongside Oasis and Blur - if that gives you an idea of just how big they were. Common People is regularly voted one of the best songs of that decade.

Edited by billybigballs

1 hour ago, billybigballs said:

Probably is an age thing and possibly a cultural thing too if Pulp didn't have quite the impact in Budapest as they did in the UK. The Billy Idol comparison would work with an artist who is looked on as having great integrity, humour and intelligent lyrics attached to killer hooks as opposed to, say, Sweet Sixteen and Mony Mony.

Also, Pulp in the mid-90s were one of the three biggest 'Britpop' acts alongside Oasis and Blur - if that gives you an idea of just how big they were. Common People is regularly voted one of the best songs of that decade.

Thanks for the clarification! 😊

Yeah, I think that's exactly why Blur wasn't booked this year. I remember mentioning them last year to my friends (who have been also attending Sziget in the past couple of years) as a possible headliner, and they didn't know what I was on about. They did know Song 2 when I played it. To be fair, that's probably the only song I know from them.

I think that's because internet wasn't around in the 90s these bands didn't really have a huge breakthrough here, but thats just what I know, I'm not sure, I was a born at that time. However, what's funny is that almost all of my friends know The Subways, who are significantly less popular outside of Hungary (and probably in the UK too), but they were always around in the 2010s, they've done at least 1 gig in almost every year, it was cheap, it was fun, it felt like it's some fresh exciting guitar music from Britain. I think pretty much every indie-rock fan of my age group in Hungary knows The Subways.

1 hour ago, dude111 said:

i think fred will be on the diplo slot and not an headliner.

he has a huge buzz, but the common peraon prob don't knoe him or his songs.

He definitely won’t.

a) He’s not a DJ so doesn’t fit in the Party Arena.

b) He’s headlining at all Scandinavian festivals + most likely Reading and Leeds which will be announced soon. Diplo has never been that big.

1 hour ago, dude111 said:

i think fred will be on the diplo slot and not an headliner.

he has a huge buzz, but the common peraon prob don't knoe him or his songs.

He's at headline level. Sometimes streaming numbers don't reflect the size of an act on the way up. At the moment he's about one of the hottest rising stars on the circuit and if Sziget have managed to book him then they should be congratulated. I, for one, cannot wait for an evening like this next August:

• Like 1