Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

29 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

I already secured myself entry for Glasto, I was just curious as I had never seen religious orgs at a festival before. You can tell I'm a Glasto noob -_-

There is lots of faith at Glastonbury - less than there used to be but still lots of it. Michael has a strong Methodist background after all. That's before you get into the Hare Krishnas etc.

4 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

There is lots of faith at Glastonbury - less than there used to be but still lots of it. Michael has a strong Methodist background after all. That's before you get into the Hare Krishnas etc.

Indeed.  It's worth mentioning that all the faith groups are open to all faiths and those of no faith at all for support and welfare if you need it. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I haven't seen the guy who goes round dragging the cross over his shoulder for years.

48 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I haven't seen the guy who goes round dragging the cross over his shoulder for years.

Never heard of this so I had a google and it seems it was before my time, in the 80's:

image.png.065252585477424e284d0c0d9a982392.png

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2013/jun/27/glastonbury-festival-in-80s-in-pictures

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Fairly sure I've seen him a lot more recently i.e. this century

No not been around for a while. What you have seen is a sign from God, repent you sinner 😉 

He was around after the 80's but not sure into this century but I maybe wrong of course.

Edit  just seen @incident post

Edited by fred quimby

5 hours ago, stuie said:

Indeed.  It's worth mentioning that all the faith groups are open to all faiths and those of no faith at all for support and welfare if you need it. 

Yeah, in my limited experience of them they're all usually a friendly, easy going and helpful bunch.

Apart from that group who ran that cafe a few years back, can't remember their name

2 hours ago, deadponyclub said:

Can anyone share a list of the charities who provide volunteers as part of the recycling crew each year?

If you check through this thread on some of the earlier pages there's a super useful spreadsheet 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

This might have been answered before, but what is the deal if you had a spot with Oxfam and then got lucky in the resale?

You cancel the place with Oxfam, and as long as you do so 8+ weeks before the festival you get your deposit back minus a 25 quid admin fee.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Still not heard anything

This is the latest I can remember

Starting to worry

Still loads of time though, Skip. 

Has anyone else on your team heard anything? 

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Still not heard anything

This is the latest I can remember

Starting to worry

Fear not

i read a few pages back technical difficulties over at recycling hq and invites would be later this year 

still I’m checking my email daily 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Still loads of time though, Skip. 

Has anyone else on your team heard anything? 

Messaged the only one I've got contact details for - no reply.

Normally I message my boss, but apparently she's retired (believe it when I see it). Her replacement, whose contact details I have, has also retired due to having to come over from Australia. So now I don't know who to contact. 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Messaged the only one I've got contact details for - no reply.

Normally I message my boss, but apparently she's retired (believe it when I see it). Her replacement, whose contact details I have, has also retired due to having to come over from Australia. So now I don't know who to contact. 

Have you tried to message the boss who's apparently retired?  She may have forward links for you. 

I expect it will all fall into place over the coming weeks though. 

Good luck. 

9 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Another question from me I can't see a definitive answer to online - for Oxfam when do you need to be onsite for? The Tuesday? Currently trying to cajole two mates in for the 1st Feb madness.

You need to be on site by 8pm Tuesday at the latest but can arrive from 10am Monday. 

I recommend as early as possible as it’s a really nice couple of days on the farm before everyone arrives. Lots of parties and crew bars to explore and you have access to the whole festival site to explore. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Another question from me I can't see a definitive answer to online - for Oxfam when do you need to be onsite for? The Tuesday? Currently trying to cajole two mates in for the 1st Feb madness.

The dates on the Oxfam website are the dates you have to be on site. You can arrive on the Monday if you want.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

You need to be on site by 8pm Tuesday at the latest but can arrive from 10am Monday. 

I recommend as early as possible as it’s a really nice couple of days on the farm before everyone arrives. Lots of parties and crew bars to explore and you have access to the whole festival site to explore. 

Agree, the Monday and Tuesday are really enjoyable days for me too.  Love wandering and exploring

• Like 1