The Pretenders

FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Definitely one of my surprise acts of the weekend. I thought they'd be alright - but I thought they were great. Chrissie hynde still could belt a tune out.

I havent seen / read much love for them, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Same! I'd always wanted to see them but never got the chance. Thought they sounded incredible, was such a great atmosphere up at the Park with the sun going down. Never watched an act up there at that time actually. 

Her voice is so good, and it comes across well on the BBC coverage too. I didn't realise she was 71, she doesn't sound it

4 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

They were excellent at Bearded Theory in May...

Did they skip Brass in Pocket again.? that was the only wrinkle at BT.

Nope they played it. Only watched it on the iPlayer but yep it looks like it was a good one. 

Really good, especially as I managed to get to the front row without a major effort. And I caught a glimpse of McCartney backstage and then thought I’d imagined it. And the guy beside me was telling me stories of how he acted as an agent for a Russian steel magnate a few years ago and booked Elton to play in Russia for £2 million. Elton amongst other demands required a 250 sq m dressing room. Then all the press photographers were herded in to get a photo of Grohl but they all missed McCartney on stage at the end. All in all a memorable hour at Glastonbury. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Nope they played it. Only watched it on the iPlayer but yep it looks like it was a good one. 

Nah they didn't play it. Was with friends who had been at BT so we were looking out for it as a point of comment but they definitely didn't.

Other point was the sound level. Ear achingly high from where we were, about five back just stage right. Really tinnitus inducing loud.

Great set though.

Edited by Copperface

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Really good, especially as I managed to get to the front row without a major effort. And I caught a glimpse of McCartney backstage and then thought I’d imagined it. And the guy beside me was telling me stories of how he acted as an agent for a Russian steel magnate a few years ago and booked Elton to play in Russia for £2 million. Elton amongst other demands required a 250 sq m dressing room. Then all the press photographers were herded in to get a photo of Grohl but they all missed McCartney on stage at the end. All in all a memorable hour at Glastonbury. 

They did the same thing as at Bearded Theory so probably not Grohl related I think but I've no idea why CH does it.

instead of the usual first 3 songs in the pit for photographers we had to wait until after the third song before we could go in - so there's an odd snappers marching into the pit moment after the set has started which draws attention to us - as you noting it demonstrates.

4 hours ago, Copperface said:

Nah they didn't play it. Was with friends who had been at BT so we were looking out for it as a point of comment but they definitely didn't.

Other point was the sound level. Ear achingly high from where we were, about five back just stage right. Really tinnitus inducing loud.

Great set though.

I was on the top of the ridge, so could see.. sound was great where I was.

I was much closer for Leftfield. Not too high for them. Just right 

20230624_203922.jpg

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Definitely one of my surprise acts of the weekend. I thought they'd be alright - but I thought they were great. Chrissie hynde still could belt a tune out.

I havent seen / read much love for them, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought they all sounded fab and she seemed to be having a lot of fun.  It was great when they brought out Johnny Marr (I find it easy to forget the myriad of bands he's played in) and then for the tune when DG joined them and they all just went rocked out.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pretenders/2023/worthy-farm-pilton-england-63a66627.html

I'd assumed it was a cover but the song is apparently one of their own and about a far more grim subject than one might have anticipated, hence I didn't share the link here, if folks want to know they can search themselves.