Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, On The Blend said:

Would they actually accept the slot? Vicky B strikes me as someone with an ego the size of a planet and I don't know if she'd go for playing mid-afternoon under Elbow, not matter what PR name the slot has.

I'd expect if it happens it'd be as a four piece, and they'd have to take it or leave it, cos it's a world of difference between the Sunday Funday slot and actually topping the bill.

45 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It'll even get close to Reg numbers I'd dare say.

Nah, there's still people who would see them as a manufactured girl band with no real credibility. Would still be very big numbers, but Reg had the sort of trio of real credibility, legendary cultural status, and weirdly even modern relevance (because of the Dua Lipa/Britney collabs). The Spice Girls only have the middle one. There will be plenty of people there who are either older and consider themselves "above" that, or under 25 and have no clue who the hell they are.

(And I'm not saying any of that is fair, nor arguing which is actually more popular in the wider world - just in terms of what you need to hit to get the largest Glasto audiences)

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Nah, there's still people who would see them as a manufactured girl band with no real credibility. Would still be very big numbers, but Reg had the sort of trio of real credibility, legendary cultural status, and weirdly even modern relevance (because of the Dua Lipa/Britney collabs). The Spice Girls only have the middle one. There will be plenty of people there who are either older and consider themselves "above" that, or under 25 and have no clue who the hell they are.

(And I'm not saying any of that is fair, nor arguing which is actually more popular in the wider world - just in terms of what you need to hit to get the largest Glasto audiences)

I disagree.

They're not my cup of tea, but Sunday afternoon with little competition, crowds will turn up in their droves. They were one of the biggest acts of the 90's and everyone remembers them. Fans, nostalgics, the gay crowd, people coming curiously, people expecting a car crash... They'll go down a storm.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I disagree.

They're not my cup of tea, but Sunday afternoon with little competition, crowds will turn up in their droves. They were one of the biggest acts of the 90's and everyone remembers them. Fans, nostalgics, the gay crowd, people coming curiously, people expecting a car crash... They'll go down a storm.

People under 24 were not alive in the 90s.

They'd do huge numbers. Dolly-esque numbers. Just not Elton numbers. Elton was a very, very weird one-off. A huge legacy act that had recently had a number of top ten singles.

I think Sugababes x 10 is probably but I think that was about 7000.

44 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

People under 24 were not alive in the 90s.

They'd do huge numbers. Dolly-esque numbers. Just not Elton numbers. Elton was a very, very weird one-off. A huge legacy act that had recently had a number of top ten singles.

I think Sugababes x 10 is probably but I think that was about 7000.

In a headline slot I'd agree with you. But mid-afternoon there's no real competition, unless they programme a special guest slot to clash with it (a la 2017 when Barry Gibb's numbers were affected a bit by The Killers being on directly afterwards).

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In a headline slot I'd agree with you. But mid-afternoon there's no real competition, unless they programme a special guest slot to clash with it (a la 2017 when Barry Gibb's numbers were affected a bit by The Killers being on directly afterwards).

This is my point exactly.

With nothing of note against them most of the festival would turn up to watch.

24 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yep. 

I reckon they’re the only act left who could pull those kind of numbers. 

I think that's a bit far. If the question had been phrased as 'who is the only act left who could pull those kind of numbers?' I kinda doubt that you would have said 'Spice Girls tea-time slot'.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Think about how many people turned up for the Sugababes and multiply it by ten.

So you think the Pyramid field will be approx 50% full?

Suspect you're underestimating just how small the Avalon field is and many people it takes to completely overwhelm it.

35 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

I think that's a bit far. If the question had been phrased as 'who is the only act left who could pull those kind of numbers?' I kinda doubt that you would have said 'Spice Girls tea-time slot'.

Go on then, who else could potentially fill the field like Reg? 

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If / when she finally does it I think Taylor will.

While I'll be there ahead of any other possible clash - there's also enough of a core of people with strong preconceptions who'll be offended by the very concept of her playing that they stay away no matter what. So she'll still get a big crowd but it won't be anywhere even close to record numbers. Just like would happen with the Spice Girls, except in their case it'd be justified.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It'll be a test of whether the Rockism of the past is truly dead in the water.

And for what it's worth I think it is and she'll stow the place in Reg-rivalling fashion.

I don't know if it's necessarily a case of "rockism" more not everyone loves Taylor Swift as much as the online echo chamber would have you think.

She do a big crowd, probably on a par with Macca, but there'll still be plenty of people who want to see everything else. She won't leave tumbleweeds blowing across the site the way Reg did IMO.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I don't know if it's necessarily a case of "rockism" more not everyone loves Taylor Swift as much as the online echo chamber would have you think.

She do a big crowd, probably on a par with Macca, but there'll still be plenty of people who want to see everything else. She won't leave tumbleweeds blowing across the site the way Reg did IMO.

I mean it's all hypothetical at this point and there are all sorts of variables as yet unseen that could come into play  - but the demographic of people who're 'not interested' just cause she's a pop star or whatever is very much on the wane.

I think we have to be careful of dismissing anyone who doesn't have an interest in seeing Taylor as some sort of Neil Lonsdale type.

I can't say I'm massively interested in seeing her, it would come down to what else is on, whether others in our party wanted to see her, the vibe of the evening, etc....