Entitlement - is it a post covid thing?

becs94

Was hoping that increased security this year would have reduced the number of those getting in without tickets and generally being drugged up dickheads from the sounds of it from what people have been saying? I wasn’t there this year but noticed this alot last year. Overall it is better than some years in the 90’s and 2000 was scary as hell but the festival has felt  a lot safer and manageable - until 2019 and last year when the atmosphere at times was less chilled out and more coked out. I do think COVID times had some impact on some group’s behaviour but nothing to do with class. Also probably /possibly more parents who had kids during lockdown thinking going to Glastonbury would be ok with the kids and not realising how difficult it would be with the increased busyness of the site now?? 

• Like 1

Nowt to do with be working class or middle class, this! If you can’t be decent to the people around you then a “hardened festival goer” you are not. You’re just a soft, selfish tw*t! 

when I see a group that are drinking hundreds of pounds worth of beer, sniffing hundreds of pounds worth of drugs, wearing hundreds of pounds worth of designer gear and leave behind hundreds of pounds worth of stuff, it doesn’t exactly scream working class. 

Whatever “class” you are you should be good to those around you 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Nowt to do with be working class or middle class, this! If you can’t be decent to the people around you then a “hardened festival goer” you are not. You’re just a soft, selfish tw*t! 

when I see a group that are drinking hundreds of pounds worth of beer, sniffing hundreds of pounds worth of drugs, wearing hundreds of pounds worth of designer gear and leave behind hundreds of pounds worth of stuff, it doesn’t exactly scream working class. 

Whatever “class” you are you should be good to those around you 

Charlie Higson: 'We created Loadsamoney, Harry Enfield cashed in'

Completely agree with the OP. Less regard for others is hugely noticeable. It’s not just the younger generation, or scousers, or people taking drugs. It’s obvious across the whole spectrum of attendees who just don’t have any respect for others. This year was the first time I actually lost my temper with another attendee and had to be held back. I’ve never, ever lost my sh*t like that at Glasto before, and it was all because the guy was being a completely unreasonable bellend with no consideration for anyone but himself. He wasn’t that young, he wasn’t on anything that could tell. Just a tosser.

Definitely concur with the sense of some people treating the day as recovery/prep for the night ahead, but I don’t mind that. It means they’re not taking up space during daytime events and they’re not at the campsite when I’m going to bed. 

I did take exception to the one arsehole who screamed at the top of his voice at 5am on both Wednesday and Friday evenings, apparently in response to being asked to keep his noise levels down. 

Actually, Pennards was full of people shouting at other people all night this year. First time I’ve heard it to that extent in six Glastonbury’s, and that finished the Pennards era for me. 

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

It’s obvious across the whole spectrum of attendees who just don’t have any respect for others. 

We had one interaction this year with a really sound group that we started talking to walking between stages, they were proper sound, had a bit of craic and almost ended up joining them for their next band.

It made me realise this used to happen all the time, now people just seem constantly pissed off, and I also think it's full of people intent on getting to all the big names so just constant crowds pushing around between stages, noone just exploring 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Actually, Pennards was full of people shouting at other people all night this year. First time I’ve heard it to that extent in six Glastonbury’s, and that finished the Pennards era for me. 

I don't think this is new, it's exactly how I think of pennards and I haven't camped there since about 2011 exactly for this reason

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

🥱

Sounds like you couldnt handle other people having fun on Pennards Hill either. We made plenty of noise at all times when we were at camp, although admittedly stayed out all night then went straight to the stone circle every morning at 5am, but hopefully some of our noise from the bevy of minirigs and subs displeased you ☺️

• Downvote 1

I didn't go this year, but felt what you're saying in 2022

Part of it could be a rapidly changing demographic - not necessarily lots of young people, just a lot more newbies. People talk about how friendly it is , everyone looks out for each other and chilled it is and so on - I remember that, and I started going in 2010. But people who started attending in 2022/23 etc..  are getting less of that friendly vibe and taking less of a cue. 

4 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

Sounds like you couldnt handle other people having fun on Pennards Hill either. We made plenty of noise at all times when we were at camp, although admittedly stayed out all night then went straight to the stone circle every morning at 5am, but hopefully some of our noise from the bevy of minirigs and subs displeased you ☺️

hippy

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

Did you even read OP's post before barging in with this absolute shite? The kids that parked up next to them clearly were not "hardened festival goers" – the whole ethos of Glastonbury is about not being a dickhead, respecting others' property, respecting the farm and looking out for each other.

It's tragic that OP felt so intimidated that they couldn't reason with them, nobody should feel like that at any music festival, particularly when you're paying a considerable amount of money to go to it. It's got absolutely nothing to do with class division, just basic morals and manners.

Check Gulping Gulls post history. Total Wind up merchant. Don’t bite.

1 hour ago, Gulping Gull said:

Boo hoo. This what happens when the middle classes go to Glastonbury, expecting it all to be flower garlands and polite people of their same ilk but end of camped beside a group of working class hardened festival goers. Basically they sh*t themselves for no reason 🤣

Mmm bit classist. What you saying about working class people? Doesnt sound like my husband and family...he and his mum working class. likes polite. Both love flowers.  Actually the first post on efestivals that really pissed me off. f**k off classist twat. My experience this festival was a bunch of grateful sometimes a bit f**ked up young people having fun (soz, didn't check their class status)

There's annoying noisy, messy neighbours, and then there is outright disrespect and vileness. Sounds like you experienced the latter. And yes, the only way to deal with that is to move. Although I really think security should be able to step in and remove people for the kind of behaviour you're talking about. 

I don't believe in a million years it can be a new thing though, look at some of the trouble from previous glasto years. Nob heads have always existed, but it's a balancing act I suppose. Perhaps Glastonbury should do more messaging around the whole 'Look after each other' message though in the same way they do with love the farm and leave no trace.

Main issue I see is just purely overcrowding.

Proper Tory behaviour this. Thinking of nobody other than themselves. Quite ironic when you think about it. And this is being said from a fellow Scouser. There is nothing humorous or fun about pissing people off, it just means your a self entitled lizard who enjoys making others unhappy. 

There is a huge sense of entitlement in the last two years, but I believe thats just life in general. Just alot of angry people who need to just chill out a bit and think about others every now and then. Its bad when your enjoyment comes from upsetting others. Understand the country has gone to sh*t and everyone is angry about one thing or another, but people should leave that at the door when they walk in.

Edited by Trainfella

5 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

Mmm bit classist. What you saying about working class people? Doesnt sound like my husband and family...he and his mum working class. likes polite. Both love flowers.  Actually the first post on efestivals that really pissed me off. f**k off classist twat. My experience this festival was a bunch of grateful sometimes a bit f**ked up young people having fun (soz, didn't check their class status)

Your abusive language doesn't do you any favours. Agree or not, it is a thing. There has been several articles recently in national newspapers about how the middle classes have ruined festivals, my advice is if they can't stand the heat at Glastonbury, then get out of the kitchen. It's always been a drug fueled, rowdy, messy festival, problem is this doesn't fit the narrative portrayed on the BBC that they see before buying up all the tickets to 'tick it off my bucket list'. 

3 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

Your abusive language doesn't do you any favours. Agree or not, it is a thing. There has been several articles recently in national newspapers about how the middle classes have ruined festivals, my advice is if they can't stand the heat at Glastonbury, then get out of the kitchen. It's always been a drug fueled, rowdy, messy festival, problem is this doesn't fit the narrative portrayed on the BBC that they see before buying up all the tickets to 'tick it off my bucket list'. 

No, there hasn't. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gulping Gull said:

I am insulted by you thinking that all working class people think like you.trust me they don't.  Let's exchange ,"middle class" have ruined the festival with "black people" have ruined the festival. You need an education in getting over ism's. all of them are bad.  Erggh horrible

40 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I don't think this is new, it's exactly how I think of pennards and I haven't camped there since about 2011 exactly for this reason

Exactly this - if you choose to camp here an experience like OP is pretty much expected.

2 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Sorry to hear. Had this at a festival (sonosphere) and there's almost sod all you can do except move. There's no reasoning with over excited teenage lads. Our average is about 1 in 15 too.

(After we moved, some crusty old bikers took our place - they didn't reason with the lads - the lads grew up fast)

that will have been a long time before covid. Sonisphere hasn't happened for a decade or more!

5 minutes ago, pandahands said:

Exactly this - if you choose to camp here an experience like OP is pretty much expected.

Hasn’t happened to me, nor have I seen it, in six festivals. Pennards is noisy, especially this year, but it doesn’t deserve to be thought of as the field where all the social degenerates go. That’s never been my experience. 

edit: afterthought… maybe that means I’m one of them 😬

Edited by kalifire