Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

23 hours ago, clarkete said:

Definitely far from alone, we're all aging and some of us further along the journey than others. 

Also some fitter than others - I know gigpusher could literally walk rings around me, but March so I'm increasing my steps and other activity and still plenty of weeks to be positive. 

Your phone may have an app to track activity, which you may find helpful but not everyone finds such things beneficial. Just start doing a bit more walking or other activity you can, especially if you enjoy it/don't hate it (as applicable) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001wh8w

This is quite interesting on fitness/activity trackers. Yes, they help track (obviously) but they do actually help with making people more active.

We really are simple creatures at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

This is quite interesting on fitness/activity trackers. Yes, they help track (obviously) but they do actually help with making people more active.

I track so much that I'm devastated if I walk to the front door and realise I don't have my watch or phone on 😄 

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

We are, although I have a thought (which I'm afraid keeps me well away from his content however beneficial it could be) that sometimes when you're already feeling a bit blue from your own nagging voices, adding to it has a potential to push me the other way. 

Do you get what I mean? He can poke his 5:2 etc 😂

Edited by clarkete

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

We are, although I have a thought (which I'm afraid keeps me well away from his content however beneficial it could be) that sometimes when you're already feeling a bit blue from your own nagging voices, adding to it has a potential to push me the other way. 

Do you get what I mean? He can poke his 5:2 etc 😂

No, I get that.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of his style but I'll always be grateful to him. It was reading his book after my type 2 diabetes diagnosis that really got me kick-started on sorting myself out and going into remission. Him and Tom Watson were both a big help. Well, them two and the doctor who first started the ultra low calorie/low carb/very fast weight loss diet that helps put it in remission whose name I can't remember unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

No, I get that.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of his style but I'll always be grateful to him. It was reading his book after my type 2 diabetes diagnosis that really got me kick-started on sorting myself out and going into remission. Him and Tom Watson were both a big help. Well, them two and the doctor who first started the ultra low calorie/low carb/very fast weight loss diet that helps put it in remission whose name I can't remember unfortunately.

That is a phenomenal achievement and you should be very proud. 

I do use the tracker on the phone, as it's easy and convenient but I've never tweaked the goals, just happy to use it as that.  I'm under no illusions about the things I need to change. 

But tbh after several of my ancestors if you grow up and don't kill yourself with whisky and smoking you've already achieved something 😉

On 3/19/2024 at 11:09 AM, BluesManP said:

I am so glad I found this thread. I thought I was alone with this! Any tips? 🙂

Definitely not alone! My main tip would be not to go too hard too fast. Build things up slowly.

I've managed over 10k steps 2 days in the last week which would have been unthinkable a year ago. 

4 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

Does anyone know how many steps do you do in Glasto approximately? Approximated mininum and maximum would be great to know from Glasto veterans. Current goal is 30k steps in a day

Honestly I walk a lot and even mine is very variable. As an average I'd say most people would be expecting to do about 30k a day. My record at Glastonbury is 60k but I was all over the place that day and dancing a lot!!!

One thing I would say is you don't have to get up to that level every day before you go. Making sure you are walking more than normal in the run up to it is sensible and making the effort to get the odd long walk in but a bit like marathon training, most people don't do a marathon having regularly run one in training because adrenaline on the day will usually do the last part for you.

The key thing is make sure you are practiced at doing some long walks in whatever footwear you intend to wear and over slightly uneven terrain (since you'll be on a farm). So many people have a festival made slightly wore by pesky blisters etc from suddenly doing a lot of steps in footwear that they are not used to.

• Like 1

Since last Glastonbury (I didn’t actually go but I did move house that weekend so I use it as a milestone!), I’ve managed to lose 11kg from moving around more and eating healthier. I’m a lot fitter now and no longer get a bad back.

I do find now that when I do have the odd unhealthy day, I can be a bit harsh on myself and get annoyed and “feel” overweight. I want to get out of that mindset and look at the bigger picture but not always easy!

2 hours ago, BluesManP said:

Does anyone know how many steps do you do in Glasto approximately? Approximated mininum and maximum would be great to know from Glasto veterans. Current goal is 30k steps in a day

@gigpusher is younger and fitter than I, starts each day very keenly and also has a more ambitious clashfinder.

Outside of the fest I've seen her step counts and thought "crikey that's ten times as much as me", so whilst I certainly increase a lot for the fest, I would compromise what I'm seeing depending where I am far more than I suspect gp does - and that goes doubly so on the off chance it's a muddy once.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

I went for a walk and I managed to do about 25k steps yesterday. Took me about 3.5 hours :0 So I will probably be doing that on weekend mornings.

As long as you can do it once in a while you'll be fine at the festival. Some of us just use the festival as an excuse to get fitter. I have done the festival at my most unfit and still managed it fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 2:39 PM, BluesManP said:

I don't really do steps, but we walked 12km a day last year haha. 

Oh I forgot to update this at the end of last month. I lost another 6lbs taking my total lost to 74 lbs or 33.5kg for those who prefer it that way. I also managed to hit over 800k steps for the month.

• Upvote 1

Just now, gigpusher said:

Oh I forgot to update this at the end of last month. I lost another 6lbs taking my total lost to 74 lbs or 33.5kg for those who prefer it that way. I also managed to hit over 800k steps for the month.

Outstanding work and effort. 

4 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Outstanding work and effort. 

Think the amount of time I have spent walking this year is why I am so sick of rain and mud. I have made soooo many sacrifices to the weather gods!!!

Just now, gigpusher said:

Think the amount of time I have spent walking this year is why I am so sick of rain and mud. I have made soooo many sacrifices to the weather gods!!!

I’ve done most of mine in the gym, but getting up every morning at 5:30 is getting harder each week.