Football 2023/24

charlierc

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Spurs are taking points off City this evening, I'm convinced of it.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

A draw would make it interesting.

Imo a draw is all we need to really throw a cat among the pigeons. A Spurs win really tilts the balance but a 2012 re-do would also be a good'un.

Certainly, 2 wins for Spurs makes Champions League possible, particularly as Villa have a more difficult game on the final day, so I think they've got to go for it even in spite of the contortions some Spurs fans are finding themselves making due to what impact it might have for Arsenal.

16 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Imo a draw is all we need to really throw a cat among the pigeons. A Spurs win really tilts the balance but a 2012 re-do would also be a good'un.

Certainly, 2 wins for Spurs makes Champions League possible, particularly as Villa have a more difficult game on the final day, so I think they've got to go for it even in spite of the contortions some Spurs fans are finding themselves making due to what impact it might have for Arsenal.

Can't see it myself. I know Spurs have a good record against city, but when the title is on the line, I can't see anything but a fairly comfortable win for the financial cheats.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Spurs are taking points off City this evening, I'm convinced of it.

spurs fans want spurs to lose, sad f**kers.

20 hours ago, thetime said:

Liverpool v Blackburn 1995...

I was there and the vast majority were behind the team as soon as it kicked off. There was a split second after we scored where I thought "Oh, sh*t. What have we done" but it didn't matter anyway thanks to West Ham.

Maybe they can spoil the Manc party again this year.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

What price we get rid of VAR and near-immediately go to wanting it back?

Those of us who support teams outside the premiership are generally happy not to have it.

I watched Liverpool v Villa this week. Gakpo scores but it’s a really subdued celebration knowing there is a VAR check coming. It sucks the emotion out of a game and I’m glad they don’t have it at our level.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Think I’m a bit conflicted on scrapping it . It feels to me like referring standards have dropped along with the VAR issues . So yeah above might well be true 

big problem is the fan standards rather than the ref standards, lots of fans expect perfection from a subjective judgement , you can measure with perfection for  if the ball has crossed the line, you cannot make the same perfect measure on whether that kick was a foul.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

big problem is the fan standards rather than the ref standards, lots of fans expect perfection from a subjective judgement , you can measure with perfection for  if the ball has crossed the line, you cannot make the same perfect measure on whether that kick was a foul.

personally I dont expect perfection , but I guess refs will always be under more scuitiny now with more and more tv coverage , so that shows up the errors more so maybe they havent got any worse and you are correct . Has just felt that way last couple of seasons particularly 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Rivalry? Jesus wept. 

Screenshot_20240515_193948_X.thumb.jpg.e3a2fb3520ae21d72762818e4cc3c137.jpg

I mean, treating it like it's still 1996 and we're smarting from that season is one way to go about. Although everyone wants to beat Manchester United tbf.

We were good enough to win tonight but just couldn't. Crap shooting and 3 poorly defended goals will do that for ya. f**king annoying but that's football sometimes.

17 minutes ago, thetime said:

Eeeekk united and Newcastle fighting for the conference league. 😐

Well, I suspect there'll be more final day twists and turns than the title race will provide.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Well, I suspect there'll be more final day twists and turns than the title race will provide.

Rather no european football, than go in the conference cup. It's perhaps what Newcastle need, maybe a good chance for them to win something. 

48 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I can’t see the EPL teams getting rid of it, but it’s telling that in those countries or leagues where it hasn’t been implemented, there is little call for it to come in.

Maybe Im being hopeful but Im not so sure. Id imagine the players would want it gone. Big managers like Mourinho and Klopp have spoken against it before. 

You can understand why Wolves want rid. Apparently this is the league table of changed decisions for the teams who have been in the prem since it was brought in, Wolves are a massive outlier.

Brighton +6

Aston Villa +4

Liverpool +4

Everton +3

Man City +3

Man United +3

Newcastle +3

Chelsea +2

Crystal Palace +2

Tottenham -3

West Ham -5

Arsenal -7

Wolves -17

Reading the pirlo autobiography which was written pre VAR. His quote on the use of technology.

“They’d be able to settle all the most difficult questions pretty much in real time. Offside yes or no, in all of 5 seconds”. That prediction didn’t work out too well!

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Reading the pirlo autobiography which was written pre VAR. His quote on the use of technology.

“They’d be able to settle all the most difficult questions pretty much in real time. Offside yes or no, in all of 5 seconds”. That prediction didn’t work out too well!

most difficult questions is surely is the ball over the goalline,  that part has worked well.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:17 AM, The Nal said:

It ws doomed from the start. Its ruined football. 

It's kinda remarkable about how it's pivoted tbf, given the Henry handball in 2009 lead to anger it wasn't already a thing, which just built over the decade before it came in for the Premier League, and now we seem to be pivoting back.

Maybe it's the Black Mirror thing about the fault being not with the technology but with how it's used and if we also had too high an expectation that it would suddenly fix everything.

I think also we need to stop being so irrational about referees, lest this filter down to creating a crisis of referees dropping out of football and not being replaced, which means either no refs or worse quality because the numbers who can do it just dwindled that much.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

most difficult questions is surely is the ball over the goalline,  that part has worked well.

Ah I read that as "goal-line", which is governed by it's own system. Rather than whether a ball goes over the byline, given Arsenal fans are still annoyed about that as one of the 27 factors behind the goal that saw Newcastle beat Arsenal at SJP in November.