Football 2023/24

charlierc

46 minutes ago, thetime said:

Bold prediction, teams look strong this season. City, Liverpool and arsenal you would imagine being a shoe in. 

Spurs with no European football will be faves for the 4th spot. 

Nah, it's spurs.

19 hours ago, Neil said:

here's a prediction for the season, Newc will finish top 4

If we were playing teams as fragile as Sheffield United every week we might.

Beating Man City last night was great, mind. Even if the max-difficulty cup draws we seem to be getting saw us land Man United away, and a trip to Old Trafford where we've only beaten MUFC once since the early 70s.

The Diaz disallowed goal was a balls up, Liverpool just unlucky to be at the wrong end of it. 

To me the Jones red card shows a bigger flaw in VAR. In a pre VAR world that is rarely given by a referee. By changing an incident taking part in pace to slow motion it completely removes the context of the event and makes the tackle look worse than it was.

I think there's an argument for the Jones tackle being a red, though it's one of those that would be super annoying to get. But that Diaz goal - f**king hell. And the PGMOL saying it was a miscommunication because the VAR thought it had been given as onside just kinda makes it worse as it implies the VARs weren't fully paying attention to the feed.

horrendous ... I agree that the Jones one could have gone as a red but the game was absolutely littered with shockers ... it should never have been shown initially to the referee as a freeze frame . some very low standards in refereeing , I guess VARs  been dropped from todays game though so everything is now fine ?!!! 

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I think there's an argument for the Jones tackle being a red, though it's one of those that would be super annoying to get. But that Diaz goal - f**king hell. And the PGMOL saying it was a miscommunication because the VAR thought it had been given as onside just kinda makes it worse as it implies the VARs weren't fully paying attention to the feed.

It was an absolute travesty of justice. The whole officiating in that game was borderline corrupt, it was the little things as well such as the Salah booking and Robertson booking. The disallowed goal was the worst call I have ever seen in football, I personally don't believe their story as they could've just re-looked into it and given the goal.

I have nothing but praise for the Liverpool team though, to so nearly get a draw from that game was incredible and hopefully we'll use this injustice to spur us on for the rest of the season.

Jota's red was also a joke. The first yellow wasn't really a yellow and at the second one, before he did that tackle, he was pushed by a Tottenham player. So if VAR would also apply at least for 2nd yellow cards, it would have been a foul when Jota was pushed and the yellow cancelled.

I love the Prem but It's a real shame the refereeing is that bad for a league that is arguably the best in the world. Howard Webb must go, since he came there are more and more mistakes from the refs than before.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It was an absolute travesty of justice. The whole officiating in that game was borderline corrupt, it was the little things as well such as the Salah booking and Robertson booking. The disallowed goal was the worst call I have ever seen in football, I personally don't believe their story as they could've just re-looked into it and given the goal.

I have nothing but praise for the Liverpool team though, to so nearly get a draw from that game was incredible and hopefully we'll use this injustice to spur us on for the rest of the season.

They can’t look back and give goal. Once spurs take the free kick the decision has gone.

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

They can’t look back and give goal. Once spurs take the free kick the decision has gone.

Indeed. Which I bet is also probably the moment the VAR guy who made the error realised they done gone goofed.

Talk is that the refs who were on VAR yesterday had been refereeing a game in the UAE on Thursday and only got back to the UK on Friday morning, which is something that might well have to be reviewed if such a short gap between appointments is interfering with their ability to do PL games.

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I get that this is the official line but it makes no sense. They review possible penalties/red cards while the game is still going and call things back once a decision is made (i.e. if a penalty is given), this can even happen after the other team has scored.

Surely they must have realised the error as the game resumed. They would then be crapping themselves for the rest of the game, knowing what a colossal howler they had made. Yes, they'd have looked silly and there would be complaints it they'd stopped the game and given the goal at that point, but it would have been nothing compared to the flak they are now getting.

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I get that this is the official line but it makes no sense. They review possible penalties/red cards while the game is still going and call things back once a decision is made (i.e. if a penalty is given), this can even happen after the other team has scored.

Surely they must have realised the error as the game resumed. They would then be crapping themselves for the rest of the game, knowing what a colossal howler they had made. Yes, they'd have looked silly and there would be complaints it they'd stopped the game and given the goal at that point, but it would have been nothing compared to the flak they are now getting.

I agree, nothing had happened of any note so they could’ve called the match back and awarded the goal. Thats if they really cared about getting the decision correct…

Corrupt 😄 its a massive anti-liverpool conspiracy isnt it? Course it is. 

its a bad decision leading to an 'im sorry' from PGMOL, Brighton had three of em last season and Arsenal had one, and neither of them bleated and whinged anywhere near as much. Suck it up, use it as inspiration, and get on with it. 

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

its a bad decision leading to an 'im sorry' from PGMOL, Brighton had three of em last season and Arsenal had one, and neither of them bleated and whinged anywhere near as much. Suck it up, use it as inspiration, and get on with it. 

No!

It's actually an impossible decision if those involved actually had any understanding of the rules of football, and one would hope anyone employed as a VAR ref/assistant would know the rules.

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I don't think they're corrupt, I just think they're incompetent. 

The difference with this one is that they knew they'd got it wrong but still did bugger all about it. It wasn't a judgement call or a misinterpretation of the rules, or even something they missed, they basically corrected the linesman's error and then somehow said the wrong thing.

There has also been no apology. 

Didn't Mike Dean admit recently they knew in the VAR box a challenge was a red but decided not to tell the ref as the match was already volatile? Seems to be part and parcel of the game nowadays. 

38 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think they're corrupt, I just think they're incompetent. 

The difference with this one is that they knew they'd got it wrong but still did bugger all about it. It wasn't a judgement call or a misinterpretation of the rules, or even something they missed, they basically corrected the linesman's error and then somehow said the wrong thing.

There has also been no apology. 

absolutely this but the refereeing of the whole game was terrible and in 1 direction  so it really leaves them open to challenge , those referees officiating elsewhere also doesn't help . They don't help themselves 

18 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

absolutely this but the refereeing of the whole game was terrible and in 1 direction  so it really leaves them open to challenge , those referees officiating elsewhere also doesn't help . They don't help themselves 

Udogie was booked for a challenge when he won the ball, and it led to a free kick through which Liverpool scored. so it wasnt all in one direction at all, it was a generally inept refereeing performance. If we can agree to allow Diaz's goal, then we should chalk off Gakpo's. Same result. 

The game at Anfield last season was won in the 95th min by a fella (Jota) who wasnt sent off despite a hideously dangerous challenge which ended in Skipp getting twelve stitches in a head injury, i think spurs were actually due a couple of decisions to go our way vs Liverpool cos good christ alive have we had our share of 90th min nonsense.

(admittedly i am also still waiting on revenge vs Man United for the Pedro Mendes goal, and thats not far off twenty years ago now 😄)

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Udogie was booked for a challenge when he won the ball, and it led to a free kick through which Liverpool scored. so it wasnt all in one direction at all, it was a generally inept refereeing performance. If we can agree to allow Diaz's goal, then we should chalk off Gakpo's. Same result. 

The game at Anfield last season was won in the 95th min by a fella (Jota) who wasnt sent off despite a hideously dangerous challenge which ended in Skipp getting twelve stitches in a head injury, i think spurs were actually due a couple of decisions to go our way vs Liverpool cos good christ alive have we had our share of 90th min nonsense.

(admittedly i am also still waiting on revenge vs Man United for the Pedro Mendes goal, and thats not far off twenty years ago now 😄)

Ok 98% in 1 direction … he should have had a yellow anyway for asking for opposition players to be given them 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ok 98% in 1 direction … he should have had a yellow anyway for asking for opposition players to be given them 

Which would have resulted in red as he'd already been booked.

Four Liverpool sendings off this season, every one was a nonsense decision.

McAllister - rescinded

Virgil - there was a covering defender so it wasn't denial of goal scoring oppurtunity

Jones - simply wasn't a red card offence

Jota - first yellow, he didn't even touch the lad

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1708842792426893819

Spurs v Liverpool:  As a Spurs fan, I have to say that Liverpool have a very good case to argue. Clearly their goal should have been allowed. The ramifications of that mistake could cost Liverpool at the end of the season. 
@LFC

Alan Sugar FFS, just have a think about that

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Which would have resulted in red as he'd already been booked.

Four Liverpool sendings off this season, every one was a nonsense decision.

McAllister - rescinded

Virgil - there was a covering defender so it wasn't denial of goal scoring oppurtunity

Jones - simply wasn't a red card offence

Jota - first yellow, he didn't even touch the lad

Pretty much agree although the jones one I could see that being unsuccessful on appeal . However it should definately not have been shown on a freeze frame when the ref went to look at the monitor … he should have been shown all the views starting at normal speed and made a judgement on that . The freeze frame made it look the worst possible and his decision would have been already made 

@_pauljoyce
: Some Premier League clubs want a semi-automated offside system to be brought in as soon as possible, along with a review of English-based match officials being paid for one-off appearances in other domestic leagues.

"Liverpool are well within their rights to issue a statement. Frankly, I’m in favour of anything that shines a light on the VAR farce which feels like it is getting worse with every howler."
@johncrossmirror  has backed #LFC over the statement on Saturday's VAR shambles