How to overcome not being in the fields this year?

DaveyGee

Hi Glasto friends,

As the inevitable start of 2023 Glasto approaches and not being one of the privileged ones to be attending, I find myself consuming all things Glasto on YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify. The result of this is my sadness and yearning to be there once again!

Any suggestions as to how I can manage my feeling of loss? Since my 1st Glasto in 2015 I have found a connection to this magical place which helps with my mental well being, I can forget all of my stresses and issues in everyday life as soon as I walK through the gates.

My best wishes to all of you wonderful people who will be embracing the wonders of Glasto 2023.

Love to you you all 🙂

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

I know this feeling well! The way I’m dealing with it this year is by planning for next year. I have a Glasto 2024 savings account which I’m watching grow and I have started thinking about how much leave I might need and where I might travel afterwards. It’s a personality thing I guess, but for me trying to wrap some organisation around 2024 helps deal with the 2023 feelings. Hope that helps!

Another year I’m sadly not there - I too was fortunate enough to go on a long stint of success 2013 to 2019, but since then I’ve missed out. 

My situation may be different to yours,  in that life has got in the way (married, kids) but I don’t go down the route of avoidance like some. I face it head on, watch as much as I can, have a few beers doing so, and think of all the absolutely incredible times I shared with people at the festival. It’s always changing, it’s likely not the festival I remember, but that’s the beast it is. 

And remember, one day, you’ll return! 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, richardwilson84 said:

Another year I’m sadly not there - I too was fortunate enough to go on a long stint of success 2013 to 2019, but since then I’ve missed out. 

My situation may be different to yours,  in that life has got in the way (married, kids) but I don’t go down the route of avoidance like some. I face it head on, watch as much as I can, have a few beers doing so, and think of all the absolutely incredible times I shared with people at the festival. It’s always changing, it’s likely not the festival I remember, but that’s the beast it is. 

And remember, one day, you’ll return! 

No finer words have been said. 

Last year was the first year I hadn't been since 2011, by choice due to personal circumstances and this year for the same reason. However, last year was actually far easier to deal with than I thought it was going to be, especially given that my whole crew were there and I was the only one who wasn't. I decided to throw myself into it massively and didn't regret it for a minute! 

I sat on my sofa drinking cocktails for 3 solid days, flicking through the red button and watching sets live. I was still part of my Glasto crew Whatsapp group so I was in constant communication with them all, acting as a 'Glastobot' for any questions or queries they all had throughout the weekend (I've always been the one that organises everyone and coordinates the group when I am there in person) and had the benefit of being stumbling distance from my fridge and drinks cabinet, no sore feet, and still feeling like I was part of it watching bands live on the red button alongside my friends who were there in person. I had a blast! Even after hours I was coordinating an increasingly drunken group of people to where they needed to head to find what they wanted as a sort of all seeing virtual Oracle. 

I really made my peace with not being there quite quickly by throwing myself into the tv coverage that I hadn't experienced in over 10 years. Of course there were moments when I got quite emotional that wasn't there with my group of 16 friends, especially during Macca, but I was quite surprised with how much I enjoyed it from my sofa! 

This year I'll be acting as a Glastobot again for my group of friends, along with a few others who couldn't make it this year, and I'm sure we'll have a blast again like we did last year. 

My advice, throw yourself into it! Avoidance only makes you feel worse for not being there! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, DaveyGee said:

Hi Glasto friends,

As the inevitable start of 2023 Glasto approaches and not being one of the privileged ones to be attending, I find myself consuming all things Glasto on YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify. The result of this is my sadness and yearning to be there once again!

Any suggestions as to how I can manage my feeling of loss? Since my 1st Glasto in 2015 I have found a connection to this magical place which helps with my mental well being, I can forget all of my stresses and issues in everyday life as soon as I walK through the gates.

My best wishes to all of you wonderful people who will be embracing the wonders of Glasto 2023.

Love to you you all 🙂

I went in 09, 10, 11 - but missed on tickets for '13. Since then Ive been to 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, and got tickets for 23.

We went away in 2013. People often say thats their favourite festival, but Ive never seen anything from it at all. Other than the 3 headliners, I dont even know who played. I avoided it to a point that it may as well have not happened.

3 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Last year was the first year I hadn't been since 2011, by choice due to personal circumstances and this year for the same reason. However, last year was actually far easier to deal with than I thought it was going to be, especially given that my whole crew were there and I was the only one who wasn't. I decided to throw myself into it massively and didn't regret it for a minute! 

I sat on my sofa drinking cocktails for 3 solid days, flicking through the red button and watching sets live. I was still part of my Glasto crew Whatsapp group so I was in constant communication with them all, acting as a 'Glastobot' for any questions or queries they all had throughout the weekend (I've always been the one that organises everyone and coordinates the group when I am there in person) and had the benefit of being stumbling distance from my fridge and drinks cabinet, no sore feet, and still feeling like I was part of it watching bands live on the red button alongside my friends who were there in person. I had a blast! Even after hours I was coordinating an increasingly drunken group of people to where they needed to head to find what they wanted as a sort of all seeing virtual Oracle. 

I really made my peace with not being there quite quickly by throwing myself into the tv coverage that I hadn't experienced in over 10 years. Of course there were moments when I got quite emotional that wasn't there with my group of 16 friends, especially during Macca, but I was quite surprised with how much I enjoyed it from my sofa! 

This year I'll be acting as a Glastobot again for my group of friends, along with a few others who couldn't make it this year, and I'm sure we'll have a blast again like we did last year. 

My advice, throw yourself into it! Avoidance only makes you feel worse for not being there! 

One of our group is missing this year, also by choice. She's planning on watching stuff but she's already said she's muting the chat. Understandable. I mean the constant "I'm by the (fill in the blank) flag" notifications would get pretty annoying. It would  be nice if she took your route though so she was involved a little bit. Although she can't do the cocktails though.

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

One of our group is missing this year, also by choice. She's planning on watching stuff but she's already said she's muting the chat. Understandable. I mean the constant "I'm by the (fill in the blank) flag" notifications would get pretty annoying. It would  be nice if she took your route though so she was involved a little bit. Although she can't do the cocktails though.

I really enjoyed reading the incoherent messages sent between 2am and 6am when I woke up each morning. Being part of the chat really made me feel like I was there with them.

Missed out on tickets for the first time this year but not letting that bother me, there are other festivals, going to Stone Valley North this coming weekend, good lineup for me and pretty cheap, not been before so looking forward to it.

https://www.stonevalleyfestival.co.uk/stone-valley-north-line-ups/

Main stages finish at 11pm so can retire to the campervan and watch Glasto on tv if there's not much to do later on.

I've missed out on tickets for only the 2nd time since 2010, last time (2019) I told myself I wasn't going to watch any of it wand was going to pretend it wasn't happening, but by Friday afternoon I had iplayer on constantly for the whole weekend, this year will probably be something similar

I know its not the same as actually being there, you miss the atmosphere and seeing the things away from the main stages but at least seeing it form the comfort of your own sofa with a clean toilet and cold beers and not having to queue up and carry your tent for hours on Wednesday morning will be some sort of consolation (I keep telling myself there are lots of benefits of not being there to make it feel better)

My honest advice here, and it may not be popular, is to man up. No one has died, you are likely living a comfortable life in the western world with nothing really to worry about. Feeling a sense of loss because you aren't attending a music festival full of posers seems very much a first world problem. At the end of the day, these are just musicians playing in a field. You should buy tickets to a dayfest over that weekend and go and enjoy yourself with a load of other people who aren't going to Glasto. Glastonbury isn't really any more magical than any other festivals, you could have just as fun a time at Green Man or Reading. Glastonbury had been overhyped the past fifteen years or so by BBC and the rest of the media like it's some sort of Mecca, more than anything this has contributed to the influencer generation flocking there and the vibe has definitely shifted. It's what you make of it, it's a great festival, don't get me wrong but people get far too over-sentimental about it due to fact that it's so hard to secure tickets for.

• Upvote 2

it hasn't started but I can't wait until its over. It's worse that the weather looks like it's going to be great. If it was a mudbath or 2007 again I wouldn't be that fussed.

I've got End of the Road again later in the year to look forward to. It's not Glastonbury but still a nice festival with lots of the same food vendors and cider bus.

2 hours ago, GaryFest said:

My honest advice here, and it may not be popular, is to man up. No one has died, you are likely living a comfortable life in the western world with nothing really to worry about. Feeling a sense of loss because you aren't attending a music festival full of posers seems very much a first world problem. At the end of the day, these are just musicians playing in a field. You should buy tickets to a dayfest over that weekend and go and enjoy yourself with a load of other people who aren't going to Glasto. Glastonbury isn't really any more magical than any other festivals, you could have just as fun a time at Green Man or Reading. Glastonbury had been overhyped the past fifteen years or so by BBC and the rest of the media like it's some sort of Mecca, more than anything this has contributed to the influencer generation flocking there and the vibe has definitely shifted. It's what you make of it, it's a great festival, don't get me wrong but people get far too over-sentimental about it due to fact that it's so hard to secure tickets for.

No, fair enough. We should only worry about like natural disasters and war and stuff.

I said for f**k's sake this morning when I stubbed my toe but what was I thinking WHEN SOME PEOPLE DON'T HAVE LEGS!

13 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Great advice! 

Thanks everyone for the fantastic ideas and support. I think I will try and involve myself by watching on TV, it would be too difficult to avoid all the notifications etc so avoidance is not an option.lol

I hope everyone has a lively time in wherever and whatever you are doing for Glasto 2023. Here's to Glasto 2024 🤞

Happy Glasto vibes to all 😊

Well this thread resonates. I've missed a couple previously through choice, but this year was the first time I was unlucky with tickets and it is painful. I know there are much, much worse things people are having to deal with, but the closer we get, the more I am feeling it. Last year I got a ticket in the last gasps of the resale, but I had to suddenly pull out on the Tuesday night due to some very sad family circumstances. I was hoping against hope that this year I could make up for it but it just wasn't to be.  

There is just absolutely nothing like the build-up, the electricity in the air on Wednesday evening, the sunrises, the sunsets, the longdrop clangs, that first walk down to the site once the tent is up, the first cider bus cider, the campfires and the togetherness. I've been avoiding everything (including the forums) but there is just nowhere else in the universe I'd rather be this week. For those who are packing up and setting off: have an absolute blast. Love to everyone else who feels a little bit heartbroken, and especially if you have been going through a difficult time.

Edited June 23, 2022 by kh24

Edited by kh24

My advice would be to dry your eyes mate, and get professional help to move on from basing your whole life around an annual mash up in a field. Its a ridiculous state of affairs. 

If you are really so upset about it, get yourself down to the site and pay someone to sneak you in, its a piece of piss. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, Gulping Gull said:

My advice would be to dry your eyes mate, and get professional help to move on from basing your whole life around an annual mash up in a field. Its a ridiculous state of affairs. 

If you are really so upset about it, get yourself down to the site and pay someone to sneak you in, its a piece of piss. 

I agree with this. If this the sort of thing that sends the modern mad spiralling into depression then I don't have much faith in the future of our civilisation.

Someone above said the "festival will choose you" and that's what I'm hanging on too.

Since 1997 I've only missed a maximum of 3 in a row and between 2007-2017 I went for a glorious unbeaten run of 10 in a row at Worthy Farm. In 2019, I chose not to go because I needed the money and got offered a well paying DJ gig that same weekend. When tickets for 2020 came out, my wife was 4 months pregnant, and we knew by the time the fest came round we'd have a 5 month old child to consider. So again we dropped out. Then covid happened and suddenly what was supposed to only be one year out (2019), became five years away from our second home.

So when last October came round the f5 finger got a workout again. But we missed out on tickets by seconds. Payment details in > site crashed > sold out. Not to be. Didn't even bother with resales as we spent the money on something else.

So when October comes I hope the festival gods realise that 3 fests and 6 years away is too long. And we'll see you all, supping over priced beer this time next year.