Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

21 hours ago, Granny-Smith said:

Maybe Maifeld Derby in Mannheim (Germany) could be a festival for you, but it‘s a small one.

Nice but at the same time as PS. I guess the best of the rest, given that time and that area, would be southside (national, idles, fontaines in one day), northside (already mentioned here), bks. 
what strikes me the most when looking at other events is how cheap primavera is. There is really no comparison. Bks has maybe 3 or 4 of the headliners of primavera and half the line up and costs around the same 

Edited by Whos3000_
  • Upvote 1

PJ Harvey already played Primavera sets in 2011 and 2016 that were around similar sounding albums. The same at Glastonbury in 2016. So I assume the performance and amount of crowd noise will be similar this time. I wouldn't be surprised if her 2024 setlist is actually a bit more accessible than the the one from 2016. Her request of doing festival main stages suggests she is going to mix the two sets from last year, but who knows.

Personally I am not concerned at all by the type of music played on a big or small stage, but I agree that quieter music makes me more annoyed by crowd noise. However that also depends on position in the crowd and sound system, so I'm not sure there is much point of singling out PJ Harvey.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmanuel said:

PJ Harvey already played Primavera sets in 2011 and 2016 that were around similar sounding albums. The same at Glastonbury in 2016. So I assume the performance and amount of crowd noise will be similar this time. I wouldn't be surprised if her 2024 setlist is actually a bit more accessible than the the one from 2016. Her request of doing festival main stages suggests she is going to mix the two sets from last year, but who knows.

Personally I am not concerned at all by the type of music played on a big or small stage, but I agree that quieter music makes me more annoyed by crowd noise. However that also depends on position in the crowd and sound system, so I'm not sure there is much point of singling out PJ Harvey.

I feel this year the main stage stuff isn't main stagey enough. All a bit meh.

I'll be interested to see how it pans out....

On 3/6/2024 at 9:57 PM, diekatze said:

i've seen some people speculate that this might mean sales for thursday/saturday/3-day-passes might be going so poorly, the festival decided to shift additional tickets to friday. Not sure if that logic holds up. 

On another note: last year, New Order were announced on March 7th. So...😉

On 3/7/2024 at 9:36 AM, scatteredscreens said:

I don't disagree, but the Lana day has sold out so much so that they're balancing weekend ticket demand to allow for more day tickets to be sold, it's an impressive booking.

This makes little sense. The Lana Day performing well was foreseeable. They did not have to "shift capacity" to Friday by cutting down weekend passes, they closed the sales on friday early to encourage people to buy them quickly and also sell some Weekend passes to those that came too late and then reopened them  a while later which creates even more incentive in people who "missed out".

Its a common sales strategy nowadays and PS has employed it before. Its basically done with every bigger act now, splitting tickets into tranches over different time slots or through a bazillion different pre-sales. Creates a contant impression of shortage of tickets so people are bullied into buying.

Also, you simply would not need to "shift capacity, modern booking systems will optimize that by themselves using projected sales, if one of your days heavily outsold the weekend passes.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:22 PM, scatteredscreens said:

reckon sales are still probably better than 2023 so expecting no New Order sized addition. The fact they've sold out day tickets for one of the days is already better than 2023. 

I reckon mid March we'll get a small number of names but nothing big. Maybe even just the announcement of the new electronic stage. Also reckon we might hear more about FKA twigs too..

This rests on a false logic. New Order (or any other late addition) were never booked as a reaction to sales-performance, but the contracts had been closed way before the line-up announcement, as with all other bigger acts (these are sometimes done 2-3 years in advance!). It was simply held back for marketing reasons on the bands side. Late additions also hardly ever boost sales, the majority of tickets to be sold has already been sold by this time (with the exception of some day tickets) and many people typically will have made other plans already. Also the cost of spontaneously visiting a fest (unless you're a local) is much more expensive than booking stuff in November. Festivals thus avoid big bands they can only announce late because of the bad cost/benefit ratio. In the case of PS however, adding a band like New Order fortifies their status as a unique fest and pleases the audience that already bought tickets. Thats why significant late additions are the exception, not the rule.

Overall it has to be sad that its impressive that PS was able to sell out anything, giving how horrible the state of the industry is.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

This makes little sense. The Lana Day performing well was foreseeable. They did not have to "shift capacity" to Friday by cutting down weekend passes, they closed the sales on friday early to encourage people to buy them quickly and also sell some Weekend passes to those that came too late and then reopened them  a while later which creates even more incentive in people who "missed out".

Its a common sales strategy nowadays and PS has employed it before. Its basically done with every bigger act now, splitting tickets into tranches over different time slots or through a bazillion different pre-sales. Creates a contant impression of shortage of tickets so people are bullied into buying.

Also, you simply would not need to "shift capacity, modern booking systems will optimize that by themselves using projected sales, if one of your days heavily outsold the weekend passes.

This rests on a false logic. New Order (or any other late addition) were never booked as a reaction to sales-performance, but the contracts had been closed way before the line-up announcement, as with all other bigger acts (these are sometimes done 2-3 years in advance!). It was simply held back for marketing reasons on the bands side. Late additions also hardly ever boost sales, the majority of tickets to be sold has already been sold by this time (with the exception of some day tickets) and many people typically will have made other plans already. Also the cost of spontaneously visiting a fest (unless you're a local) is much more expensive than booking stuff in November. Festivals thus avoid big bands they can only announce late because of the bad cost/benefit ratio. In the case of PS however, adding a band like New Order fortifies their status as a unique fest and pleases the audience that already bought tickets. Thats why significant late additions are the exception, not the rule.

Overall it has to be sad that its impressive that PS was able to sell out anything, giving how horrible the state of the industry is.

Fair points. There's obviously a chance they held back Friday tickets yeah. I was using 'shifting allocation' as this was similar language to what the festival was using, but obviously this could also count for holding back tickets.

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Fair points. There's obviously a chance they held back Friday tickets yeah. I was using 'shifting allocation' as this was similar language to what the festival was using, but obviously this could also count for holding back tickets.

This could also just mean Lana only brings half her Entourage which frees about 2k spots on the grounds

There is still a lovely gap for Danny Brown on the 30th or 31st May en route to a show in Lisbon on the 1st June. No Spanish dates on his tour would seem pretty odd, when the lesser musical hotspots of Vienna and Zurich get shows. Fingers crossed it is the Friday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Last_Exit said:

There is still a lovely gap for Danny Brown on the 30th or 31st May en route to a show in Lisbon on the 1st June. No Spanish dates on his tour would seem pretty odd, when the lesser musical hotspots of Vienna and Zurich get shows. Fingers crossed it is the Friday!

i think and hope he'll be added to Friday, Thursday has far too much stuff on..

3 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

This is one of the most lucid messages I've read in a while. A breeze of fresh air between endless Slowdive and The National comments tbh. Congratulations and thank you.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Last_Exit said:

How dare you, we are a terrific musical hotspot 😁

/s 

On 3/17/2024 at 8:59 PM, allribena said:

I don't know PJ Harvey well and I don't know where to start with her music - from what I've heard I see what you mean about she might not suit main stage, though Glasto have her on mainstage so I guess her festival set will be more of a mix?

Last time i saw her on Other Stage at Glasto.... Stories from the city and stories from the Sea Is a good start

Interview (in Spanish) with PS co-director Alfonso Lanza in Barcelona newspaper La Vanguardia

https://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura/musica/20240321/9575757/alfonso-lanza-primavera-sound-director-entrevista-novedades.html

Decent read though no great revelations.
They have sold 80% of tickets so it will be sold out, ie 65/70k a day [not sure this is a given, myself]
Overall happy with stage arrangements from last year
Tough competing with the mega multinational promoters but PS independence/kudos is also an advantage
Costs always rising, €30m budget for artists plus production. Artist fees have more than doubled in last 10 yrs
Ticket revenue lower than last year because so many bought early doors, 55/60% from outside Spain
Great relations with BCN town hall, contract til 2026. Both parties recognise no forum means no Primavera. Any issues are more to do with noise, crowds etc bothering locals
Happy with current number/distribution of days in festival
Brexit was a blow but situation has improved this year
other stuff about latin america and music industry in general. more than 10 cities interested in hosting a PS event incl in Germany and Sweden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

49 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

Interview (in Spanish) with PS co-director Alfonso Lanza in Barcelona newspaper La Vanguardia

https://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura/musica/20240321/9575757/alfonso-lanza-primavera-sound-director-entrevista-novedades.html

Decent read though no great revelations.
They have sold 80% of tickets so it will be sold out, ie 65/70k a day [not sure this is a given, myself]
Overall happy with stage arrangements from last year
Tough competing with the mega multinational promoters but PS independence/kudos is also an advantage
Costs always rising, €30m budget for artists plus production. Artist fees have more than doubled in last 10 yrs
Ticket revenue lower than last year because so many bought early doors, 55/60% from outside Spain
Great relations with BCN town hall, contract til 2026. Both parties recognise no forum means no Primavera. Any issues are more to do with noise, crowds etc bothering locals
Happy with current number/distribution of days in festival
Brexit was a blow but situation has improved this year
other stuff about latin america and music industry in general. more than 10 cities interested in hosting a PS event incl in Germany and Sweden

80% is pretty impressive.

Not sure how I feel about the new stage arrangements, the area around Primavera Stage somehow feels off and I will always hate the side-by-side stage set up at Mordor.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

80% if pretty impressive.

Not sure how I feel about the new stage arrangements, the area around Primavera Stage somehow feels off and I will always hate the side-by-side stage set up at Mordor.

80% (if you take it as truth) still leaves a lot of full price tickets to be sold with plenty available cheaper "second-hand". The limited extra run of Friday tickets still hasn't sold out. At this stage surely only locals or the deep of pocket abroad can come for the weekend. NB I want PS to do well but some extra elbow room would be nice!

I also dislike the new Mordor set-up. I feel it was done to make things easier for the backstage crew etc and not to improve the fan experience. I think it has had a detrimental effect on crowd behaviour as in the past people waiting on the next show and with no interest in the artist currently playing would be at the far end of the arena instead of taking up space at the live show and, in some cases, annoying those watching.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

I also dislike the new Mordor set-up. I feel it was done to make things easier for the backstage crew etc and not to improve the fan experience. I think it has had a detrimental effect on crowd behaviour as in the past people waiting on the next show and with no interest in the artist currently playing would be at the far end of the arena instead of taking up space at the live show and, in some cases, annoying those watching.

Totally agree. Plus I don’t want to be watching a show and be distracted by watching another stage being set up. 

It wasn’t broken before so why fix it?