Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Maybe Ciutat will be ok after all.

Think it must be a relatively small part of the overall budget and would create unnecessary bad feeling to sell the tickets first and then announce it's being significantly pared back second.

Given some of the stuff that went down in 2022 like promising a book (turned out to be a PDF) and free t shirt (wasn't festival related at all and had to collected off site) I would not be shocked at all if they kept quiet about a scaled back Ciutat, they know most people won't care.

26 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Given some of the stuff that went down in 2022 like promising a book (turned out to be a PDF) and free t shirt (wasn't festival related at all and had to collected off site) I would not be shocked at all if they kept quiet about a scaled back Ciutat, they know most people won't care.

In fairness, they've often done the opposite e.g. they added an extra day for free at the last minute headed up by Wet Leg last year.

49 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

to be fair that was a rather desperate thing to make people holding on to their tickets feel valued and then possible just didn't have priority over all the other stuff and they went the cheap way out. I don't think that sets precedent for their general behaviour in the future.

As someone who comes from the states, if they “scale back” the city gigs, I’d probably consider not coming any more. It’s pretty easy for me to justify coming for 7 days of gigs, especially at the quality of 22 and 23. If we’re down to 3-4 days of gigs, it’s a much tougher sell for me. I can live with Monday and Tuesday being weaker but man if they scale back the Wednesday and Sunday, that’s devastating, IMO

1 hour ago, bobhoward said:

As someone who comes from the states, if they “scale back” the city gigs, I’d probably consider not coming any more. It’s pretty easy for me to justify coming for 7 days of gigs, especially at the quality of 22 and 23. If we’re down to 3-4 days of gigs, it’s a much tougher sell for me. I can live with Monday and Tuesday being weaker but man if they scale back the Wednesday and Sunday, that’s devastating, IMO

I mean you still have Phoenix on Wednesday and the Brunch stuff Sunday. There obviously will still be stuff but I'm expecting either a smaller scale or they've got something like Poble Espanol to host more people and then might have fewer venues to compensate. I'm not expecting more though, I think I'm cynical and expect less.

31 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

the depth of bily woods discography is insane. high class booking. I just wonder if he will also play the new armand hammer album

Pretty sure he'll play whatever he likes with or without a soundcheck, but guessing not Maps or AH. Can't believe he is in the tiniest font and is def in my top 5 'must sees'.

15 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I mean you still have Phoenix on Wednesday and the Brunch stuff Sunday. There obviously will still be stuff but I'm expecting either a smaller scale or they've got something like Poble Espanol to host more people and then might have fewer venues to compensate. I'm not expecting more though, I think I'm cynical and expect less.

Even before 2022 Ciutat Gigs have been very good. 2019 had Deerhunter, f**ked Up, Apparat, Cate Le Bon, The Beths, Efrim Manuel Menuck, Miya Folick and Amy and the Sniffers on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday. Even Deerhunter as arguably the biggest of those was relatively easy to get in.

2018 had The Men, The Sea and Cake, Mount Kimbie, Kedr Livansky and most importantly for me, Kero Kero Bonito.

Thing about the Sunday is, I never have enough strength left to go so i missed KKB, so the "new" Ciutat with more emphasis on Monday thru Wednesday suited me rather well (although I did not see a single Ciutat Gig in 22 and didn'T go at all in 23).

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

Thing about the Sunday is, I never have enough strength left to go so i missed KKB, so the "new" Ciutat with more emphasis on Monday thru Wednesday suited me rather well (although I did not see a single Ciutat Gig in 22 and didn'T go at all in 23).

What really blows my mind is that somehow people still have the strength on the Sunday to go to the dance/techno lineup in the afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Etaish said:

what albums then should i be doing my homework on?

Looking at setlists from earlier this year when not specifically with Kenny Segal he seems to cover the whole range of his discography. More from Aethiopes than anything, a couple from Maps and one or two Armand Hammer. Given how prolific he is, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a new album by June!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, On The Blend said:

Pitchfork managed to lose track of time and pick an album from 2022 as the best of 2023.

I suppose it was technically released after they published their 2022 list but then I say don’t be so trigger happy. 

I mean, its not like its not deserved, but it says a lot about Pitchforks approach to music in 2023.