Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

2 hours ago, emmanuel said:

People complain that it is too soon for The National, yet complain that The Smile should have been booked again. Go figure!

Exactly.

also each opinion is unique. For example kendrick and fred again do nothing for me personally, whilst recognising that in many circles they are huge and culturally significant. I would not have watched them.

Pulp, PJ Harvey and Justice are artists ive not seen for 7-10 years and will look forward to seeing again. Especially since the first 2 are £60 each shows here in the UK and i have not caught either so far since their return to live.

we can only hope that justice are not placed in mordor, although they probably will be. PJ and Pulp obviously a lock for mordor sadly.

Edited by Memory Man

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Gabi has said he did try to bring The Smile back.

Also that generally the big names booked will be bringing out new albums before June.

It's also very clear he is still pulling the strings, which makes sense when you look at the number of heritage bands booked.

Interesting, especially when it comes to Fka twigs and justice. However, I don’t see Lana sza the national and pulp to be releasing new albums in the next year 

...and for all the people complaining about The National being back: I am very happy with the new album and will love to see them next summer again. Hopefully British Airways don't f**k it up again... 😉 I am even hoping Slowdive will be back too, after the shows in Spain in february... 

6 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Well it’s second album in a short space of time. There is still a novelty to them. The National played Madrid 4 weeks ago and their best stuff is from boxer, alligator, high violet and trouble will find me. Which were all at a minimum essentially ten plus years ago. 

And The National have TWO albums in a shorter span of time and their setlists have been their most diverse ever. So if we really are to compare the two in terms of who’d put on more of a different show, The National easily wins. Besides, The Smile have already been playing a lot of stuff from their new album ever since they started touring their first

7 hours ago, emmanuel said:

People complain that it is too soon for The National, yet complain that The Smile should have been booked again. Go figure!

For the National it will be 4th time in the last 9 editions, the Smile played only one weekend in the double yaer (so many of the 'regulars' didn't catch them)

add to that, national catches headlining slot, the smile dont, and there are less slots to catch in their level

7 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

For the National it will be 4th time in the last 9 editions, the Smile played only one weekend in the double yaer (so many of the 'regulars' didn't catch them)

add to that, national catches headlining slot, the smile dont, and there are less slots to catch in their level

Yeah, in fairness all the more hardcore indie people I know booked for the first weekend in '22 which had stuff like Pavement, Nick Cave - and also, more exciting to go to the first weekend. And then the Smile was added to W2 and at a later date too.

So for them, it's as if The Smile have never played the festival.

I don’t think the problem with this lineup is the quality. Its just feels empty and not finished. There certainly a lot of quality and I doubt that many festivals can have such a consistent lineup. The problem for me individually is that paying almost 300€ plus flights and hotels for such a lineup doesn’t justify it. Many of the artists on this lineup have been touring a lot in the past years. Yes the smaller ones like JainPaul and so on you could have not seen them everywhere, but for me it’s still doesn’t justify spending 800€ of flights hotels and so on to see it. 

I’ve seen SZA this year live. Very good concert, my girlfriend made me go there and I didn’t regret it. However I can’t see how she will bring a big crowd. Same with Pulp. Lana is the only one that can bring big crowds. 

So here I’m not worried about the quality, cause there is a lot of it. I’m worried about the ticket sales, specially after Madrid fiasco, as I want the festival to live, and based on this lineup and based on what other festivals are planning idk if Primavera can do good. And if they do bad then it means 2025 might be bad. 

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

I don’t think the problem with this lineup is the quality. Its just feels empty and not finished. There certainly a lot of quality and I doubt that many festivals can have such a consistent lineup. The problem for me individually is that paying almost 300€ plus flights and hotels for such a lineup doesn’t justify it. Many of the artists on this lineup have been touring a lot in the past years. Yes the smaller ones like JainPaul and so on you could have not seen them everywhere, but for me it’s still doesn’t justify spending 800€ of flights hotels and so on to see it. 

I’ve seen SZA this year live. Very good concert, my girlfriend made me go there and I didn’t regret it. However I can’t see how she will bring a big crowd. Same with Pulp. Lana is the only one that can bring big crowds. 

So here I’m not worried about the quality, cause there is a lot of it. I’m worried about the ticket sales, specially after Madrid fiasco, as I want the festival to live, and based on this lineup and based on what other festivals are planning idk if Primavera can do good. And if they do bad then it means 2025 might be bad. 

Primavera has regularly had lineups that don't manage to sell out. 

And yet the quality has continued to be stellar. I wouldn't worry about the commercial side (actually if I was concerned at all, it's about them expanding to too many other locations and the repercussions of much bigger failures there).

Some of the discussions on here like "they tour too much" are - whilst true - very specific to the people on this forum. The average person here has probably seen more concerts per year than 5 casual PS goers combined. And as most people here are from the UK - arguably at least the second best place in terms of countries visited by bands - its also a bit of a privilege to be able to see almost anything at home.

This will just not apply to the majority of attendees, for whom the line up will be much fresher than for people here. And then, Lana, Sza, Pulp, The National, PJ Harvey and so on were talked about on here so much, they were a suprise to noone

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I can't get over the fact that Beth Gibbons is playing the first Gig in 10 years, Clipse play teir only EU date, William Basinski plays Disintegration Loops, Jai Paul plays what in total is maybe his 10th gig and Duster play their first gig outside the US EVER (to my knowledge) and people don't see depth

yeah it's insane, plus it's SZA's first show in Spain. Disintegration Loops live is with strings as well, not a press play job.

Edited by scatteredscreens

4 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I can't get over the fact that Beth Gibbons is playing the first Gig in 10 years, Clipse play teir only EU date, William Basinski plays Disintegration Loops, Jai Paul plays what in total is maybe his 10th gig and Duster play their first gig outside the US EVER (to my knowledge) and people don't see depth

Probably the hideous poster deflecting how amazing it is

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BA_Barrabus said:

Just seems a rush job to me

My guess is that there was a last minute reshuffle in day splits, because of which they couldn't announce the splits like they wanted to and put together this poster w/o the usual fine tuning.

Maybe they had planned for Lana del FRidEY and SZAturday but that didn't work out.

Edited by Quadrophobia

Just now, xxialac said:

The poster design is deliberate. It's meant to look like a retro poster and its graininess etc is a nod to the past.

Unfortunately they forgot to think about how people will lack this context and as such it it just looks like it was knocked up by Steve from accounts 'giving it a go'.

Yeah but its not just that. It doesn't even look vintage or smth it just looks like a rush