Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

1 hour ago, nicolaspepsi said:

How the hell all rumors are about only pop? Lol bad bunny, karol g, Olivia rodrigo etc etc. Past editions they have really Good rock bands, im afraid im going to go to a budbunny festival 😞

Just check a couple of messages back and you'll find rumors about indie/rock: Slowdive, The National, PJ Harvey, Pulp, Shellac, Mitski, Paramore, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, Romy, Sampha, Drop Nineteens... Maybe even The Cure, who knows.

But keep in mind that there's going to be pop for sure. If it's not Bad Bunny or Karol G, then it'd be SZA, Kali Uchis, Doja Cat, Tainy, Rauw Alejandro, Ice Spice, Cardi B or whoever.

• Thanks 1

I'm genuinely curious - what's the difference between Bad Bunny and Rosalía?

Objectively, they're both big spanish speaking artists representing more or less the same genre, even had a song together. And they are both critically acclaimed.

Subjectively, I don't like either of them. I'm not familar with their whole discographies but I listened to both of them quite a lot before realizing that this doesn't work for me.

I'm also aware of Rosalía's artistic beginnings, but let's talk about the Motomami era (which was the backbone of her last year Primavera performance).

Obviously, I would be perfectly fine without Bad Bunny, but why would he be such a terrible booking, while Rosalía is praised so highly here?

Edited by pipan
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, LMDS said:

But I also tend to think that maybe this time Primavera skips The National and they end up playing in BBK and/or Cala Mijas, since it's too recent for them to come back after 2022 and sometimes Last Tour (BBK & CM's promoter) and Primavera work together for the bookings.

The  National did an european tour recently, they played Madrid, not Barcelona. C'mon

I think Massive Attack are in

Edited by davidoffescassi

2 hours ago, pipan said:

Objectively, they're both big spanish speaking artists representing more or less the same genre, even had a song together. And they are both critically acclaimed.

Subjectively, I don't like either of them. I'm not familar with their whole discographies but I listened to both of them quite a lot before realizing that this doesn't work for me.

I'm also aware of Rosalía's artistic beginnings, but let's talk about the Motomami era (which was the backbone of her last year Primavera performance).

Obviously, I would be perfectly fine without Bad Bunny, but why would he be such a terrible booking, while Rosalía is praised so highly here?

I'm guessing some people here just liked Motomami and don't like Bad Bunny's music generally. I definitely fall into that category but I think you're right - in terms of their profiles and how the festival will look at them, there's not much difference.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

The  National did an european tour recently, they played Madrid, not Barcelona. C'mon

I think Massive Attack are in

Did they play Bilbao or Málaga so?

Sometimes they just pick one date/city in the country and Madrid is just in the center. Just like Taylor Swift, and she's not expected to do any fest. Sometimes that single date is in Barcelona like Madonna, and that doesn't mean anything else either.

Also the dates announced (end of june) are closer to BBK, Vida, Mad Cool... than to Primavera. So it's not that crazy. In 2023 Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire ended up playing in Last Tour festivals after being rumoured for Primavera

5 hours ago, pipan said:

The main point here is the Market.

Bad Bunny is bigger than Rosalia. She sold one or two indoor arenas in Latin America (13k) while BB two or three stadiums (45k). I think he can easily sell that in Spain too.

What does he want? What will your manager want? Is Primavera willing to burn a good amount of your money on him for an exclusive performance?

And i can´t see him ending a huge tour and starting another leg crossing the ocean in five days.

4 hours ago, joselito said:

Bad Bunny is bigger than Rosalia. She sold one or two indoor arenas in Latin America (13k) while BB two or three stadiums (45k). I think he can easily sell that in Spain too.

What does he want? What will your manager want? Is Primavera willing to burn a good amount of your money on him for an exclusive performance?

And i can´t see him ending a huge tour and starting another leg crossing the ocean in five days.

He’s definitely coming to Europe. Either it’s festivals in the beginning of June or end of June, he’s going to be there. And yes he’s huge, but people overestimate his success in Americas and in Europe. Maybe he can sell stadiums in Spain, and some cities in Portugal, France and Italy, but I don’t see him doing a Wembley or something big in Germany, so if he decides to come to Europe, he’s going to do shows for sure. That’s what happened to Rosália, she was selling big arenas in Spain and Italy and France, and then she was doing festivals in places in Europe where she was less famous.
Maybe he’s doing a big stadium concert in Madrid and then Primavera in Barcelona. The only thing are the dates. Maybe it’s too tight, but days people don’t seem that bad, specially if it’s a festival and that means shorter set and less logistics. 

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

He’s definitely coming to Europe. Either it’s festivals in the beginning of June or end of June, he’s going to be there. And yes he’s huge, but people overestimate his success in Americas and in Europe. Maybe he can sell stadiums in Spain, and some cities in Portugal, France and Italy, but I don’t see him doing a Wembley or something big in Germany, so if he decides to come to Europe, he’s going to do shows for sure. That’s what happened to Rosália, she was selling big arenas in Spain and Italy and France, and then she was doing festivals in places in Europe where she was less famous.
Maybe he’s doing a big stadium concert in Madrid and then Primavera in Barcelona. The only thing are the dates. Maybe it’s too tight, but days people don’t seem that bad, specially if it’s a festival and that means shorter set and less logistics. 

He will tour Europe, of course, but i only see him doing stadiums in Spain. Maybe a O2 in London, or hyde park with a good undercard of pop. In other countries he fits in a Festival.

8 hours ago, LMDS said:

Did they play Bilbao or Málaga so?

Sometimes they just pick one date/city in the country and Madrid is just in the center. Just like Taylor Swift, and she's not expected to do any fest. Sometimes that single date is in Barcelona like Madonna, and that doesn't mean anything else either.

Also the dates announced (end of june) are closer to BBK, Vida, Mad Cool... than to Primavera. So it's not that crazy. In 2023 Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire ended up playing in Last Tour festivals after being rumoured for Primavera

Maybe Vida is a possibility. They didn´t play Barcelona, but did in Porto and two dates in Lisbon. A double booking Barcelona and Porto would be a possibility, but with that gig in a big place in Porto i think they are out. It´s very similar with Bon Iver this year, right?

I would be happy with The National headlining next year. They're always great and they've made a lot of new music since I saw them in 2018.

However, I don't think they'll be there (three headlining spots in five Primaveras really does sound like a lot). But I can't think of another indie rock headliner I'd like to see more (fresh or not).

19 hours ago, joselito said:

I see what you mean, but my point was only music related - people here seem to love Rosalía and dislike Bad Bunny and I was just wondering why (regardless of how much each of them costs).

UsernameHere's response was kinda useful - there's probably no better explanation that liking/disliking music is not an exact science.

Well, the people who love Rosalía and hate Bad Bunny are not necessarily the same, although both opinions have been seen in this forum. Anyway, Rosalía is a Spanish singer from the same city where the festival takes place, who started doing Flamenco and started her own proyect approaching herself to new sounds. I'd say, despite commercial success and some hits with a more latin/reggaeton vibe (Despechá, Con Altura), that her work is more experimental than Bad Bunny's. All of her albums are conceptual works, with a highly and deeply curation of the sound, style, designs, videos, performances etc. Anyway some might not like it at all, or found that "silly" or "nonsense", but I wouldn't say Motomami is a commercial album, or standard pop for all audiences, like some people (who never listened to Rosalía beyond one  or two hits) believe. Also she has artistic motivations that have taken her to collab with the likes of Björk, Arca, James Blake, Travis Scott, Oneohtrix Point Never, Billie Eilish.. (all of them have performed in Primavera Sound except Eilish), and she even have done covers of Bonnie Prince Billy and Frank Ocean in the past.

I don't see the same case with Bad Bunny, not worse, but different. You can like one and dislike the other easily. Benito started doing latin trap and reggaeton like a decade ago and he's still doing pretty much the same. So you have to like the style to enjoy him, and he has a quite nasal voice that doesn't help with some audiences. It is true that in the last albums he has incorporated some interesting productions that can play with some different sounds (incluiding shoegaze), but the result is not that risky or heterogeneous as any Rosalía's LP. The lyrics are probably another differential point: While Rosalía tends to focus in conceptual and thematic works, full of her own universe, poetry, and metaphors (even if for some they sound "silly" or nonsense as I said before), Bad Bunny usually speaks with less depth about the regular topics in latin trap and reggaeton (women, sex, drinking, smoking, dancing/perrear and so on), and despite his efforts of whitewashing his often sexist conduct with songs like "Yo perreo sola", his discography is full of objectification and "machismo" (although I personally think that we can found that too in a lot of hiphop and even Rolling Stones lyrics).

I don't say Bad Bunny is worse than Rosalía, is not that simple, and he has maybe more hits than the catalan singer (also more global success), but I can understand some people prefering Rosalia, and also some other people not interested in her and wishlisting Bad Bunny looking forward to dance with his multiple catchy hits 😉

Edited by LMDS
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 12

1 hour ago, LMDS said:

Well, the people who love Rosalía and hate Bad Bunny are not necessarily the same, although both opinions have been seen in this forum. Anyway, Rosalía is a Spanish singer from the same city where the festival takes place, who started doing Flamenco and started her own proyect approaching herself to new sounds. I'd say, despite commercial success and some hits with a more latin/reggaeton vibe (Despechá, Con Altura), that her work is more experimental than Bad Bunny's. All of her albums are conceptual works, with a highly and deeply curation of the sound, style, designs, videos, performances etc. Anyway some might not like it at all, or found that "silly" or "nonsense", but I wouldn't say Motomami is a commercial album, or standard pop for all audiences, like some people (who never listened to Rosalía beyond one  or two hits) believe. Also she has artistic motivations that have taken her to collab with the likes of Björk, Arca, James Blake, Travis Scott, Oneohtrix Point Never, Billie Eilish.. (all of them have performed in Primavera Sound except Eilish), and she even have done covers of Bonnie Prince Billy and Frank Ocean in the past.

I don't see the same case with Bad Bunny, not worse, but different. You can like one and dislike the other easily. Benito started doing latin trap and reggaeton like a decade ago and he's still doing pretty much the same. So you have to like the style to enjoy him, and he has a quite nasal voice that doesn't help with some audiences. It is true that in the last albums he has incorporated some interesting productions that can play with some different sounds (incluiding shoegaze), but the result is not that risky or heterogeneous as any Rosalía's LP. The lyrics are probably another differential point: While Rosalía tends to focus in conceptual and thematic works, full of her own universe, poetry, and metaphors (even if for some they sound "silly" or nonsense as I said before), Bad Bunny usually speaks with less depth about the regular topics in latin trap and reggaeton (women, sex, drinking, smoking, dancing/perrear and so on), and despite his efforts of whitewashing his often sexist conduct with songs like "Yo perreo sola", his discography is full of objectification and "machismo" (although I personally think that we can found that too in a lot of hiphop and even Rolling Stones lyrics).

I don't say Bad Bunny is worse than Rosalía, is not that simple, and he has maybe more hits than the catalan singer (also more global success), but I can understand some people prefering Rosalia, and also some other people not interested in her and wishlisting Bad Bunny looking forward to dance with his multiple catchy hits 😉

Wow, brilliant and detailed analysis.