BBC Coverage 2023

gooner1990

I’m enjoying AM but I can understand the dislike.

Definitely not one for the ages and would have expected some surprises early on. Half an hour or so left - lets see if they do anything different or if its the run of the mill tour setlist.

I’d expect A Certain Romance later.

1 minute ago, Drums Please Fab said:

One of my favourite bands but they would want to get their arse in gear.

I don't think they know what they want to be anymore. they sneer at their own older stuff.

They could probably do with breaking up for a bit. I'm not sure what purpose the other three serve, the last two albums are basically Alex Turner solo stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s hard as I was in the crowd in 2013 and really enjoyed it but this one doesn’t seem ‘special’ - just a run-through of the tour setlist (more for their fans than the casual punters) with a singer who isn’t feeling 100%?

Not surprising. Im sure Elton and Axl got the memo. 

When they started with Sculptures I thought it would be a unique setlist. But apart from that it's pretty much the same as I saw them do in Southampton, with the exception of View From the Afternoon thrown in for my gig.

Turner is obviously ill, and it's showing in this performance. He's clearly pissed off as well beyond belief. Should have cancelled it, rescheduled for next year with a new setlist and done it properly.

It's a sad watch, and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores the Arctics and thought the Southampton gig last week was the best I'd ever seen them! Am only putting this poor performance down to illness as they literally put in a top level show just 10 days ago.

Edited by mb23

3 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

One of my favourite bands but they would want to get their arse in gear.

I don't think they know what they want to be anymore. they sneer at their own older stuff.

Isn't that the point? They know what they want to be, and it isn't just banging out the old hits?

I kinda respect them for it, but it's not for me Bob 

• Like 1

I was there for 2007 and 2013. Both infinitely better than this. 

Saw them a few weeks ago at Lancashire Cricket ground and it was miles better than this too. 

Being ill on week of Glasto hasn't panned out well.

Just now, mb23 said:

When they started with Sculptures I thought it would be a unique setlist. But apart from that it's pretty much the same as I saw them do in Southampton, with the exception of View From the Afternoon thrown in for my gig.

Turner is obviously ill, and it's showing in this performance. Should have cancelled it, rescheduled for next year with a new setlist and do it properly.

It's a sad watch, and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores the Arctics and thought the Southampton gig last week was the best I'd ever seen them! Am only putting this poor performance down to illness as they literally put in a top level show just 10 days ago.

Not always that simple. Took foos 2 years to come back. Who are you bumping off the top just for the arctics? Lets say it was Dua, Madonna and Depeche. Nobody would even think Arctics should bump any of them. I think they can redeem themselves in a few years if they do a tba spot like foos

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s hard as I was in the crowd in 2013 and really enjoyed it but this one doesn’t seem ‘special’ - just a run-through of the tour setlist (more for their fans than the casual punters) with a singer who isn’t feeling 100%?

100% agree - 2013 felt pivotal, this feels like just any other show. If it wasn’t for them panning out to show the stage, I could be watching them anywhere.

1 minute ago, ogriff said:

Isn't that the point? They know what they want to be, and it isn't just banging out the old hits?

I kinda respect them for it, but it's not for me Bob 

Maybe they should do a Ben Howard and tell the ‘play the hits’ crowd to f**k off repeatedly until people stop buying their records or paying them any attention whatsoever. 

What I can’t get my head round is that if he is struggling with his voice (which he clearly seems to be) then rejig the setlist and just do the greatest hits. It would go down a storm that way, regardless of how Alex actually sang or not. 
Sticking with this setlist is just making his struggles more obvious for all to see. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

What I can’t get my head round is that if he is struggling with his voice (which he clearly seems to be) then rejig the setlist and just do the greatest hits. It would go down a storm that way, regardless of how Alex actually sang or not. 
Sticking with this setlist is just making his struggles more obvious for all to see. 

Great minds!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Not always that simple. Took foos 2 years to come back. Who are you bumping off the top just for the arctics? Lets say it was Dua, Madonna and Depeche. Nobody would even think Arctics should bump any of them. I think they can redeem themselves in a few years if they do a tba spot like foos

Very fair point.

They definitely won't be touring in June ever again though 😂

Been to their last four tours and aside from this one, none of the tours were in festival season. Again, guessing it's not easy to schedule a tour but I can't ever seeing them touring in the summer ever again after this.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Ultimately it’s now three headline shows out of three which have been at best divisive and at worst outright embarrassing. Doubtful they’ll get another chance now, surely. 

Totally agree. Just compare any of their headline slots to Coldplay in 2016. There is no comparison. They are finished for G.