Bearded Theory 2024

9 hours ago, Jackal1 said:

image.thumb.png.cff3e5db5b470c276cd71d1fd4b995cd.pngJust arrived on site in camper. We are in this field and absolutely no problems getting in due to the stones up road you see just below our position. The field below this one through the hedge towards to arena is currently empty so I guess they fill this next. When we drove past the fields on the other side looked a bit more hazardous with vans dotted about. 
Can’t believe how easy it all was!!! 

image.jpeg

I am in the ‘more hazardous, vans dotted about’ lower Trent field… got here mid afternoon wednesday.

the field had a dip that runs top right to bottom left and yesterday was ankle deep in water… they had towed a number of vans through said dip to the far end of the field where the ground is not too bad tbf…

we towed the caravan in under our own steam (just) but I drive a chunky 4x4, and they stopped trying to bring vans in about an hour after we arrived.. and no more have come onto the field today..

the challenge will be getting people out..

the main arena is sloppy mud and will improve as long as the rain stays away..

as people have said, Woodlands has remained closed for 2 days…

beer is good, food is good and there is plenty of good music… make the most of it folks.!

Edited by BlueDaze
Added info

I will admit to being less inclined towards the ‘shouty’ than most on here.. and so thoroughly enjoyed my first view of Future Islands… Samuel T Herring, what a bloke..!

I was blown away by how good Big Moon were.. fantastic vocal harmonies 

5 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I will admit to being less inclined towards the ‘shouty’ than most on here.. and so thoroughly enjoyed my first view of Future Islands… Samuel T Herring, what a bloke..!

I was blown away by how good Big Moon were.. fantastic vocal harmonies 

Funny enough, they were the two that impressed me too. Was near the front for The Big Moon as had listened to some of their stuff already, but their acapella was very good. And the athleticism of Samuel T Herring moving across that stage was quite something to watch…we were saying we’d be knackered by 4 songs in! And that throaty growl…he was certainly giving it some welly. Enjoyed them both a lot. 

Now onto a totally different kind of day now that the sun’s decided to finally come out!

• Like 1

what happend with dexys?? I read on attilla the stockbrokers FB that there was a sign up saying they had cancelled but then they played but the singer was chatting to his band mate for most of it. is this true??

4 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

what happend with dexys?? I read on attilla the stockbrokers FB that there was a sign up saying they had cancelled but then they played but the singer was chatting to his band mate for most of it. is this true??

They did do this weird (almost creepy) schtick between the 2 of them where they were asking questions of each other for far too long and the fella (I think it is Sean Read?) also sang lead/joint and wasn’t the most tuneful…

whereas I thought Kevin Rowland gave it a proper go when he sang…

Genius & Eilleen went down well of course…

I would give them a 5/10, not bad considering I was worried it was going to be a 1/10

My CV got stuck coming in, got a tow fairly quickly. 

I really enjoyed Future Islands too, Dexys in parts, and some good small acts such as Samantics, Omega Nebula, etc

I had a good time but I’ve left early, with more rain due I just don’t want to get stuck again. Even then I had a moment of dread as the CV wouldn’t move forward in the soft ground, luckily a quick few inches reverse and then some forward momentum got me out! 

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

My CV got stuck coming in, got a tow fairly quickly. 

I really enjoyed Future Islands too, Dexys in parts, and some good small acts such as Samantics, Omega Nebula, etc

I had a good time but I’ve left early, with more rain due I just don’t want to get stuck again. Even then I had a moment of dread as the CV wouldn’t move forward in the soft ground, luckily a quick few inches reverse and then some forward momentum got me out! 

i almost got tickets on the strength of future islands being there. great band

I left yesterday evening from the lower Trent Campervan field…

towing a caravan with a AWD truck and I got stuck with about 2 feet left…an easy short tow from one of the crew and I was away…

I hated leaving early but there was little on Sunday that was a draw for us..

unfortunately I think they will have some challenges getting folk out of Lower Trent tomorrow and I didn’t want to be part of that..

The rest of the site had recovered very well by Saturday evening I hope they don’t get too much rain today..

We will return…

Not posted on here for years but met a couple of posters over the weekend and thought I'd say hi 👋

I left early due to overtired children, and an unwillingness on their part to walk in more mud today, but that was great fun. Was my first one and I'm not sure why I've not been before!

Got in fine on Thursday afternoon. Got out fine this morning without a tow but there were already a couple stuck. We were out in campervan field out beyond glamping.

• Like 1

Samantics was fantastic yesterday. We’re working, so were just exploring Woodlands for the first time. Thought we’d stay there as he was just about to come on despite not knowing what he was about, and so glad we did. 

Heartfelt, hilarious and very talented. Would definitely catch him again so hope he’s doing a few more festivals this summer. 

Left today about 11am as the weather forecast was a bit too 'damp' and I was worried about getting the car out. We were in the car park field across the road near the back. Lots of cars and 4x4 getting stuck when trying to head out of the exit where the zebra crossing was. Getting out at the back of the field was fairly straightforward but a couple of areas caused some sliding. Cracking festival as always and wish everyone a great day if staying.

Like others I left early, got straight out at 9ish this morning, plan was always to leave Sunday night as even in a dry year Monday can be bad, first festival I've ever left a day early but can see it taking just too long to clear the site tomorrow, rain still forecast so it won't be getting better, especially once everyone starts moving. Had 4 really good days so am quite happy, not a drop of rain once the bands were on (we were in the tent Wedneday). Site dried up nicely by Saturday, shame it rained again. Got straight in on Wednesday under my own steam so all in all the easiest ever in and out. Doubt if that will be most peoples experience.

Leaving tomorrow, from the main car park, will report back on how easy or hellish it proved to be. Another festival next weekend, and this week off work, so I've got about 4 days to get the car out 🙂

Big Special were something else today. Literally lived up to the name. 

Edited by Spuddhism

10 hours ago, germanmon said:

Samantics was fantastic yesterday. We’re working, so were just exploring Woodlands for the first time. Thought we’d stay there as he was just about to come on despite not knowing what he was about, and so glad we did. 

Heartfelt, hilarious and very talented. Would definitely catch him again so hope he’s doing a few more festivals this summer. 

Agree with this. Lovely fella too. 

• Like 1

Hi all, just home after a cracking weekend.

Took it steady yesterday evening and drove straight off site at 7.45 this morning.  The main stage signs about being prepared for long waits had made me a bit anxious!

Yesterday was the best for me music wise, with double Bodega, Melin Melyn and Amyl and the Sniffers, and still time in Maui Waui and Convoy Cabaret.

Maybe a couple of areas for improvement but thats for another time. Thought organisers and punters alike made the best of the conditions. Hope all have safe trips back.

Just made it back. Packed up at 5 am today and dragged my stuff across one end of the site to the other (Oxfam field to car parks). Dreaded the state of the car parks but surprised to find no stranded vehicles from yesterday or today and though some paths out were treacherous, others were more mildly worn and managed to get out without so much as a wheel spin. Might be different later - let us know as it's useful to know for future years how well the current site copes with this level of rain and mud.

Arrived Wednesday about 11.30am. Drove in through swimming pool and got parked close to wristband exchange.

Had a brilliant weekend surrounded by the decent parts of humanity.

Body aches from all the mud walking, especially when it got to the sticky stage on Saturday but it was worth it.

Next year Bearded is also my 60th Birthday Party.

HUZZAH.

I was only around Friday and Saturday, but had a great time and still feel I got value for money.

Of course the mud was a pain, but it wasn’t too bad once the wellies were on. The only down side is that I think there’s not much better than sitting on dry grass, in the sunshine, beer in hand, watching bands and that wasn’t really possible. My back hurt with so much standing up (& dancing).

Other than Indietracks, it really is the nicest, friendliest, cleanest festival I’ve been to.

Only downsides for me were being camped within hearing distance of some world champion snorers and the amount of bands who ate in to their set time doing soundchecks 10 minutes after their scheduled start time. Karaoke last year was a lot of fun, but this year looked like it was on the back of a bus where nobody could join in.

Highlights for me were bands I’d never heard of:

[spunge], Thy Last Drop, Shanghai Treason and The Cain Pit - they all know how to put on a show, don’t think they had one slow song between them (nobody really wants to hear slow songs at gigs, do they??) and they all had me dancing and smiling. 

I should have learnt after last year, but I really should spend much more time at Maui Waui.

The staff / volunteers were all great and I’m sure those working the car parks must have had a few stressful moments, but well done to all.

I’ll be signing up for Early Bird next year, would be good if we could have a guarantee of last year’s weather for next year though!

Edited by IndiePoppyJock

Well. How much fun was that, we will certainly be back

Everyone we met were ace ...and such a clean festival

Turns out they opened up another car park!

My poor car spent most of the weekend on its lonesome

DUTTY MOONSHINE BIG BAND = mind blown

Another marvellous Bearded under the belt.

Got there Wednesday at midday, real struggle getting through the field but parked up near the wristband exchange. I think they only let a few more in there after us, as when we went back to the car on Thursday morning, the rest of the field was empty. Going out today, it looks like they'd used it for campervan overflow. We left at 7:15 and drove straight out. I wasn't expecting that.

Music wise, the highlights were Jane's Addiction (phenomenal), Big Special, Total Luck, Soft Play, Meryl Streek and Wargasm.