The churnups

a6l6e6x

Monthly listeners on Spotify 

Foos 21.5M, Pulp 2.5M, Blur 11.2M, RHCP 29.9M, Royal Blood 3.6M, Artic Monkeys 44M

I think Pulp are clearly an outlier in this category, they are the only band without massively known songs.

Obviously RHCP are by far the least likely: it just doesn't feel right. 

Just now, emmanuel said:

Foos 21.5M, Pulp 2.5M, Blur 11.2M, RHCP 29.9M, Royal Blood 3.6M, Artic Monkeys 44M

I think Pulp are clearly an outlier in this category, they are the only band without massively known songs.

Sorry, but just to clarify - are you suggesting that Pulp, authors of Common People, don't have any massively known songs?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Spotify is international. Given the vast majority of those streams are uk based, how many of the others are coming close to them here?

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Spotify is international. Given the vast majority of those streams are uk based, how many of the others are coming close to them here?

Yes, of course, especially for RHCP, but the numbers from Blur should give a valid reference point.

I am honestly not sure I understand the feedback or if that is even related to my comment. I didn't grow up in the UK and never considered Pulp mega stars. Obviously Pulp are playing Finsbury Park and obviously they can be The Churnups. If everyone from all ages in the audience know their songs, and they could have replaced Arctic Monkeys as headliner, well then fine, I've learned something. I was just putting up numbers, which may be more relevant to the discussion than "it is 100% Foos, no it is 100% Pulp".

Edited by emmanuel

3 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

I am honestly not sure I understand the feedback or if that is even related to my comment. I didn't grow up in the UK and never considered Pulp mega stars. Obviously Pulp are playing Finsbury Park and obviously they can be The Churnups. If everyone knows their songs from 18 to 60 and they could have replaced Artic Monkeys as headliner, well then fine, I've learned something. I was just putting up numbers, which may be more relevant to the discussion than "it is 100% Foos, not it is 100% Pulp".

My friends had an ongoing joke in university… “Blur or Oasis?” “Pulp.” 

They’re much bigger here than anywhere else, mainly because their songs drill into the core of what it was like to be growing up in Britain during the 70s, 80s and 90s.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

My friends had an ongoing joke in university… “Blur or Oasis?” “Pulp.” 

They’re much bigger here than anywhere else, mainly because their songs drill into the core of what it was like to be growing up in Britain during the 70s, 80s and 90s.

That and the fact that the story of their success is intrinsically entwined with the festival.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

This is Global though.. unless you can filter it by UK I would say this data is completely meaningless. 

23 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

I am honestly not sure I understand the feedback or if that is even related to my comment. I didn't grow up in the UK and never considered Pulp mega stars. Obviously Pulp are playing Finsbury Park and obviously they can be The Churnups. If everyone from all ages in the audience know their songs, and they could have replaced Arctic Monkeys as headliner, well then fine, I've learned something. I was just putting up numbers, which may be more relevant to the discussion than "it is 100% Foos, no it is 100% Pulp".

Let's put it this way - I'm reasonably confident that if you went up to someone in the street in any UK town or city, and asked them "list 10 songs from 10 acts released in the 90s" - Pulp would feature on nearly every list, with Common People accounting for most of those. I wouldn't even be shocked if Pulp got more mentions than Blur. Beyond that, it's not like Disco 2000, Mis-Shapes, Babies, Sorted, etc don't have widespread recognition either.

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Pulp are great and all that, but they're not bigger or more widely known than Blur, even in the UK.

Nobody has said or even implied that?

25 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

With woodchip on the wall?

Nothing to do with anything really, and obvs Jarvis isn’t to blame, but removing woodchip wallpaper from walls is such a monumental and hideous pain in the arse - I like a bit of nostalgia but the seventies/eighties craze is HORRIBLE. Did he mention artexing in any songs? That’s a bastard too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

Let's put it this way - I'm reasonably confident that if you went up to someone in the street in any UK town or city, and asked them "list 10 songs from 10 acts released in the 90s" - Pulp would feature on nearly every list, with Common People accounting for most of those. I wouldn't even be shocked if Pulp got more mentions than Blur. Beyond that, it's not like Disco 2000, Mis-Shapes, Babies, Sorted, etc don't have widespread recognition either.

There's no way the avg person on the street knows more Pulp songs than Blur songs. Pulp were the cult champions, but Blur were something else in the 90s.