The Future of Glastonbury

JayDiesel

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Same here.

We also need to train our replacements, which i think is happening in the SE corner with the old school crew.

It is. 

A certain young lady is flying home from Australia as she couldn't face breaking her life long run of attendance. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer

19 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

It is. 

A certain young lady is flying home from Australia as she couldn't face breaking her life long run of attendance. 

I know a few teens who have been every year of their life, obviously excluding fallow years and covid cancelled years.

4 hours ago, koj said:

I hope Glastonbury lasts for ever but it won't. As punters we need to make the most of each one.

body might let you down sooner than you're thinking it will - happened to me, am stuill struggling on.

Given the speed of the resale (lets face it the main resale will also be done in 10 mins) in the current economic climate with this current lineup the next 10 years are fully secured. 

The majority of people go because its glastonbury and they know there will be something to see because there always is. 

even if 25% decided they wouldnt go next year, there is another festivals worth of people trying who dont get tickets.

They’d have to fuck up the spirit and vibe of the place phenomenally for it to change the demand significantly and we’re in good hands with Emily - she knows what its all about as much as anyone alive. She grew up with it.

The only thing that could change somehow is if the massive amount of goodwill towards the festival is reduced or almost disappears. 

What i mean by that is:

Artists playing for a lot less money in exchange for exposure

People who volunteer their time and skills for free or very little pay

People who would get guestlist for any other event being prepared to pay to be there instead because its glastonbury (there is a whitelist for pre approved people to buy tickets)

If the above was to decrease significantly for any reason then they would have a problem as the whole thing is propped up on goodwill, when you think about it.

It could still sell out but if there was a change in the above you’d in theory have a (significantly?) worse lineup and the fest having to offer paid positions of work where previously they were getting that role done in exchange for free entry. It could mess with the purse strings significantly.

I think we're only at the start now of some longer term demographic changes for the festival. 2022 was the first festival since TikTok/Instagram Reels got popular. The sheer volume of user generated content across both platforms from the festival getting bumped in to Gen Z's feeds was huge last year and will only get bigger each year, increasing demand to attend from that younger age group. That combined with changing headliner profiles (your Elton John, Diana Ross and Paul McCartney's getting replaced by The 1975, Harry Styles and Taylor Swift's) will again make the festival more appealing to the younger generation.

21 hours ago, stuie said:

I'm not totally sure that you need massive headliners to attract new blood, but Glasto don't have a problem with getting massive headliners anyway.  This is basically just another thread about GnR.  Massive contemporary headliners in 2019, 2 in 2022 and big names this year.

I know a group of lads from the gym and they are going this year for the first time because they've heard about/seen videos of IICON and The Temple etc and are excited for that side of the festival, probably won't go to Pyramid.

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

I think we're only at the start now of some longer term demographic changes for the festival. 2022 was the first festival since TikTok/Instagram Reels got popular. The sheer volume of user generated content across both platforms from the festival getting bumped in to Gen Z's feeds was huge last year and will only get bigger each year, increasing demand to attend from that younger age group. That combined with changing headliner profiles (your Elton John, Diana Ross and Paul McCartney's getting replaced by The 1975, Harry Styles and Taylor Swift's) will again make the festival more appealing to the younger generation.

Could have picked a few but these quotes are the ones that nail some of the factors as I see it.

Glasto won't need a social media presence to appeal to a younger demographic, attendees and artists will do it for them.  I actually think the average age of punters last year seemed a lot younger then previously so we've maybe already had that shift.  Our group started out in 2009 as 3 blokes in their late 30's and has grown since then.  Next year, we have the next generation coming along who are in their teens and buzzing for it.  It's not the headliners they're excited for, it's the experience.  For me, you could remove the Pyramid and Other Stage completely and I'd still happily pay the ticket price and attend all 5 days and I'm pretty sure almost all of the 40+ group who I go with would agree.  This is what makes it unique and gives it longevity.

My main concerns for the festival in the future is financial viability.  The fact that one of it's primary aims is as a fund raiser for charities puts it on a financial knife edge at times.  Balancing that must be concerning every year and with the economy and inflation being a mess and unpredictable, it must be almost impossible.  I have a nagging concern that we will be able to see and feel all the cost cutting on site this year which may dent the experience slightly.  More punters + fewer bars/food outlets + fewer stages = more overcrowding & queues/less fun and possibly tempers fraying.  I really hope I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Glasto won't need a social media presence to appeal to a younger demographic, attendees and artists will do  More punters + fewer bars/food outlets + fewer stages = more overcrowding & queues/less fun and possibly tempers fraying.  I really hope I'm wrong.

I know people won't like this or necessarily agree, but IMO last year was one of the least friendly I've been to. *

* Waits for large number of down votes.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I know people won't like this or necessarily agree, but IMO last year was one of the least friendly I've been to. *

I felt an overall different vibe to the previous four times I'd been. Not sure why - post-covid? change of demographic?

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I completely agree.  I put it down to it being the first Glastonbury since covid so the vast majority of people were not used to being in big crowds again and were generally not as comfortable / patient with dealing with that.

I'm hoping that now everyone has gotten used to being out of lockdown and around people again, the twatishness will subside somewhat.

18 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

My main concerns for the festival in the future is financial viability

That's pretty much mine.  If inflation and the UK economy continues going in the same direction, GFL will have to make more decisions in regards to raising prices or cutting back on the experience.  Either option is not sustainable for the long term as it will either price people out of the festival completely or deliver an inferior experience.

For the veterans and certified Glasto lovers it might not affect them but it could deter the younger generation coming and falling in love with the place. 

Hopefully that won't come to pass though!

7 minutes ago, OrlaGrace said:

I felt an overall different vibe to the previous four times I'd been. Not sure why - post-covid? change of demographic?

One of the issues, again IMO, was the increased amount of cocaine use.

I also noticed a relatively large number of what the youth call "road men" (or so I'm told). These are young men who were bucket hats and bum bags diagonally across their chests. Their thing seems to be based on having a generally bad attitude,

Edited by Skip997
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 11:14 PM, Neil said:

its continuing success, the instant sell-out, is based within an idea of the sort of acts who will headline, there's fewer and fewer of those mega acts, without many new ones being created. -hence guns n roses this year, which bursts a bubble, and now other festivals can equal it, and Glastonbury has lost its unique advantage its cutting edge. in the same way that the idea of mega acts has taken decades to build up its going to take a number of years to deflate, and i think we're going to see some big changes in Glastonbury ticket buying habits. which will alter the confidence the team can approach all other aspects of the festival, as the risk of financial failure becomes a bigger consideration.

The mega acts are still there, just most have done it already and they don't want to keep bringing back Coldplay, Ed Sheeran etc. New mega acts are being created all the time too

Elton John is playing lets not forget, absolutely a mega act.

No doubt there will be one next year too. Theres often a bit of a stinker act i feel

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

8 minutes ago, OrlaGrace said:

Possibly could get worse with quicker and easier sales, if that happens. I'm guessing the entitlement of "fuck this I'm going back to bed" at 9.10 MIGHT cross over with a bit less "Glastonbury spirit" than those who slog til it fully sells out. If it all sells out quick, it might change the demographic.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Possibly could get worse with quicker and easier sales, if that happens. I'm guessing the entitlement of "fuck this I'm going back to bed" at 9.10 MIGHT cross over with a bit less "Glastonbury spirit" than those who slog til it fully sells out. If it all sells out quick, it might change the demographic.

This new system is awful news for people on here i think. Its far more luck based and less about being dedicated / organised trying to figure out their shit website

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

This new system is awful news for people on here i think. Its far more luck based and less about being dedicated / organised trying to figure out their shit website

Its completely changed the way tickets are bought yeah. Any old fucker with a phone can try for any other old fucker now. Huge increase in the amount of people trying from now on. October the same.

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't pay too much attention to the ticket sale process.

What's the change and why is it "awful news"?

20 minutes ago, gfa said:

It could be argued that to truly move the festival forward that's the right thing for them to do - the same people end up going most years.

36 minutes ago, OrlaGrace said:

Personally, I've noticed quite a change in the demographic since I started going in 2004.... there's now quite a lot of 'road men' and 'fiat 500 girls' there now...of course, they are all entitled to be there as much as I am, but it does change the 'vibe' somewhat I feel.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Personally, I've noticed quite a change in the demographic since I started going in 2004.... there's now quite a lot of 'road men' and 'fiat 500 girls' there now...of course, they are all entitled to be there as much as I am, but it does change the 'vibe' somewhat I feel.

I just saw a description of road men above, and I'm well acquainted with them from the Neighbourhood/Kendal type events i go to, but what's a Fiat 500 girl??

Edited by efcfanwirral

Neither 1975 or harry styles will ever headline glasto but ok, the point still stands.

(1975 wont get bumped to pyramid but are almost too big to headline other ie there will always be a better option and harry is too plastic pop for glastonbury in my opinion and im not sure he would take a low fee to do it)

Edited by Memory Man

45 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

One of the issues, again IMO, was the increased amount of cocaine use.

I also noticed a relatively large number of what the youth call "road men" (or so I'm told). These are young men who were bucket hats and bum bags diagonally across their chests. Their thing seems to be based on having a generally bad attitude,

This completely, and not only at Glastonbury, cocaine is creating vast amounts of idiots in every aspect of society/life in general

• Upvote 3

Demographic shifts are part and parcel of it all. Things will always move on. There are always people every year who think “thats it for me now” after a long run of attending and they’ll be naturally replaced by younger attendees, its absolutely inevitable.

part of the changes i think are the dance / late night areas being much bigger part of the overall experience now which attracts a slightly different demographic than those who are mainly in it for watching live bands. Up until say 2014 or so glastonbury was very much a live music festival with a sprinkling of DJs on the side. Now, if you want it to be, it can be a very late night event with 24/7 dance music almost. The late night hours are the main part of the festival for lots of people hence people being willing to queue for NYC downlow when the headliners are on!

Just now, mph said:

This completely, and not only at Glastonbury, cocaine is creating vast amounts of idiots in every aspect of society/life in general

Out of upvotes but agree 100% worst thing about at the minute.

4 minutes ago, mph said:

also see ketamine.