Test Run ⛺️

Bike_Like_A_Mum

Thought i'd start a thread for photos of everyone's kit test runs over the next few weeks. Just because i'm nosy and love having a look at how everyone sets up their little temporary base and what camping gadgets people have. Show us your set-ups and share your practice trips! 

I've been out glamping in my little old caravan over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend for the first outing of the year with the kids. Few new bits to try out. Chuffed with my set up I've gradually built up over the years although the old van herself is in need of some damp repair. Thought it could wait until after Glasto but I now realise it's a bit more urgent and going to have to try and get her in to the experts before...😬🤑🤦🏼‍♀️ Don't even know if it's worth it she's so old...dilemma...

Who else has been out in the cold over the Bank Holiday weekend!! 🤣🥶 Here's my old girl...

Collage_2023-04-10_19_47_40.thumb.jpg.d34f67e8e8b25e00067f683d804409eb.jpg

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Looks a good set up.. I like the dome thing you have on the end of the awning…. Looks really spacious.

we have a full size awning (if the youngest daughter gets a ticket in the resale.. we will add an annexe onto that) and the space is great..

hope my buddy gets his tickets in the resale also.. then we have a camp with Caravan, motor home and 3 tents, with a nice communal space in the middle

10 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Looks a good set up.. I like the dome thing you have on the end of the awning…. Looks really spacious.

we have a full size awning (if the youngest daughter gets a ticket in the resale.. we will add an annexe onto that) and the space is great..

hope my buddy gets his tickets in the resale also.. then we have a camp with Caravan, motor home and 3 tents, with a nice communal space in the middle

Sounds perfect! Our friends usually join us in their old VW which had a bell tent awning so hoping they'll be next to us if we can get a resale ticket too!

The dome is just a gazebo, but because the caravan and awning are so dinky it does help to create an extra 'ourdoor living' space so the kids aren't on top of us. Keeps bikes and trollies and buggies dry. 😊 see in in CV East!!

Getting so excited now by these photos! I was inspired over the weekend to practice my packing, and I'd asked to borrow my sister's Eurohike tent so I took the opportunity to try that out too. Unfortunately, alhough the setting-up practice went smoothly, when packed away it's just too big and unexpectedly heavy. I'm travelling by coach and solo, so keeping things light is very important - so now I'm going to order a more lightweight Vango tent.

15 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Thought i'd start a thread for photos of everyone's kit test runs over the next few weeks. Just because i'm nosy and love having a look at how everyone sets up their little temporary base and what camping gadgets people have. Show us your set-ups and share your practice trips! 

I've been out glamping in my little old caravan over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend for the first outing of the year with the kids. Few new bits to try out. Chuffed with my set up I've gradually built up over the years although the old van herself is in need of some damp repair. Thought it could wait until after Glasto but I now realise it's a bit more urgent and going to have to try and get her in to the experts before...😬🤑🤦🏼‍♀️ Don't even know if it's worth it she's so old...dilemma...

Who else has been out in the cold over the Bank Holiday weekend!! 🤣🥶 Here's my old girl...

Collage_2023-04-10_19_47_40.thumb.jpg.d34f67e8e8b25e00067f683d804409eb.jpg

Love a caravan me.

Me and Mrs shanks did a test run of putting up our new tent this afternoon to reduce the arguments on Wednesday morning.

image.png.a110af03884e66337c5badfcced01fdc.png

The good news is that it's a dream to put up and down. The only downside is it's a bit of a heavy one but as long as I put the tent poles and pegs in my rucksack it shouldnt be too bad

37 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Me and Mrs shanks did a test run of putting up our new tent this afternoon to reduce the arguments on Wednesday morning.

The good news is that it's a dream to put up and down. The only downside is it's a bit of a heavy one but as long as I put the tent poles and pegs in my rucksack it shouldnt be too bad

Nicely done!! 

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Proud owner of a Rydal 500 for about 7/8 years, it finally died this summer, after genuinely 100's of uses.

Brilliant tents, they're bulletproof. I've been in some horrific rain and wind and it stood up amazingly.

That front porch bath-tub design is fantastic too as it keep moisture out. 

BUT it is heavy as hell 

7 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Proud owner of a Rydal 500 for about 7/8 years, it finally died this summer, after genuinely 100's of uses.

Brilliant tents, they're bulletproof. I've been in some horrific rain and wind and it stood up amazingly.

BUT it is heavy as hell 

So we have a Rydal 500, weighs 14.6kg, current cost on Go Outdoors - £235

Or we could have an Ultralite Bell Tent, weighs 10.5kg, current cost - £300 https://soulpad.com/bell-tents/3m-bell-tent/3000-ultralite-bell-tent

The later is canvas, looks much better and with good care will last longer.

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Looks good, we’ve got the eurohike air 400 , very similar but obviously without the poles, just pump it up. Takes no time . Don’t use it for the festival as it’s a bit heavy for that. 

22 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So we have a Rydal 500, weighs 14.6kg, current cost on Go Outdoors - £235

Or we could have an Ultralite Bell Tent, weighs 10.5kg, current cost - £300 https://soulpad.com/bell-tents/3m-bell-tent/3000-ultralite-bell-tent

The later is canvas, looks much better and with good care will last longer.

What are canvas tents like in bad weather? Never had one. 

41 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Looks good, we’ve got the eurohike air 400 , very similar but obviously without the poles, just pump it up. Takes no time . Don’t use it for the festival as it’s a bit heavy for that. 

We were very tempted with that but the weight put me off. Plus this was in sale for about £150 so couldn't say no to that price

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

BUT it is heavy as hell 

That's a brilliantly reassuring review! 

I'm not looking forward to carrying it but with the poles in my rucksack, it shouldn't be too bad.

We're driving down this year so first trip in will only be the tent and absolute essentials so will be fine I hope!

• Like 1