Other Opener 2023

Superscally

11 hours ago, Dave_c said:

His first two albums are fantastic, not sure whether he plays much off those albums these days. I fear the set will be a bit dull unless he plays some of the more energetic and well known tracks off those records.

I like his third the most but he doesn't play anything from it, beside Nica Libres maybe. Black Flies, Promise, Small Things and All Is Now Harmed are back to the setlists so although they are far from energetic, they're great songs.

32 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

I like his third the most but he doesn't play anything from it, beside Nica Libres maybe. Black Flies, Promise, Small Things and All Is Now Harmed are back to the setlists so although they are far from energetic, they're great songs.

It's just a weird placing for his style unless he plays the more upbeat tracks. He'd have been better suited in an evening slot on the Park or in Woodsies than early morning on other.

I’m a massive Ben Howard fan and have seen him countless times. However, I’m nervous of how this set will go down. He’s so introverted on stage and a raring crowd hoping for EK tunes could turn sour. On an another note, really looking forward to the new album Friday

On 6/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, Drinky said:

That set would have been fine if 1) it hadn't been delayed 45 mins by 10 tons of sawdust being dumped on the swamp at the front of the stage and 2) people knowing in advance that they weren't getting Sit Down

It wouldn’t, they didn’t play half the hits people know, that’s fine for a band but at that time people want a signalong/greatest hits, it wasn’t just sit down they missed, no come home, no she’s a star, no destiny calling etc. They played a new song where he had to read the lyrics off a bit of paper, I thought it was awful. I like BH but for the same reason I don’t think it will go down well and most people will chat through it. On the other hand I’m not bothered by the Libertines or the Vaccines but really enjoyed both as an opener because I still knew most of the songs.

14 minutes ago, p.pete said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/16/ben-howard-music-interview-is-it-every-kingdom

Interesting read.  Two mini-strokes last year (but sounds like he's been incredibly lucky) and new album just out.  Will try to listen to the album properly before this day next week

That’s crazy. Sounds like he was very lucky. Glad he’s okay. Kinda routing for him a bit now I’ve read that

I get why as an artist you want to move on from more popular songs over time, but someone like Ben Howard doesn't have more recent tunes that mean you miss the old stuff. I'm chuffed some second album stuff is there but why you wouldn't just play the big stuff from the debut (considering they have 100 million+ streams on Spotify alone) and thus have crowd eating out palm of your hand is a bit odd.... and at glastonbury too! the vibe would be immaculate!