Line Up Announced

CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The last paragraph is key. It would be a gamble as they can’t arrogantly assume it’s going to sell out regardless of what they do. As soon as they do that they’re in trouble. Especially this year with inflation, cost of living crisis, the stink over having to put ticket prices up etc. 

To quote Emily from that Guardian article

In order to do the exact same show as last time, we would have had to put £100 on the ticket.” And “People assume that because we’re the ‘Christmas of music’ we can breezily book whoever”

They’re worried about the effect of putting ticket prices up, worried about the cost of putting it on, and aware of the restrictions they have in terms of who they can get. They aren’t going to bin a Stadium rock act that wants to do it for the reduced fee to bump up a much smaller act who will still be on the bill anyway.

Yeah, like I say, I know there are logistical, financial and contractual issues. I think they’ve painted themselves into a corner with previous comments.

Like others are saying though, if Lizzo isn’t big enough to headline, why have they listed her as a headliner in the poster? It seems they want it both ways, and this is where the main issue is for me. The 3 actual headliners sends off a poor message IMO.

Gonna stop being negative now because I don't want to rain on anyone's fun. I'm glad you're all enjoying it!

The fact I'm seeing Young Fathers and Warpaint after a decade of listening to their music is fantastic. Mad to think they were the soundtrack to my sixth form/ early uni years and now I'm getting to see them at a great festival with my friends.

Also, the stuff I'm not too familiar with is just new stuff to discover. Gonna give Texas a spin later because all I know is Say What You Want which is a tune.

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Ok whatever, but they are all male. Not a great look. Hardly looks like a "festival of contemporary arts" either. 

No it’s not the most diverse line up ever but GNR also have a Female band member. There’s also one of the worlds most famous Gay men top of the bill.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Speaking of stale bookings, Alt-J, Royal Blood and Warpaint are giving very 2014 vibes.

Alt-J, saw them on the other... probably 2014? And I thought they got lost somewhat on a stage that size. Hoping they play headline in JPT/Woodies. Hvae yet to catch Royal Blood, so happy with that.

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Yes not much there for the younger crowd is there? Bands like Manics and Texas are like something you'd see at Hyde Park before getting into your BMW in the safe multi-storey car park. 

Manics & Texas are ideal for Glastonbury. Feel good, sing-along pop/indie. The 40-something crowd reliving their youth, I expect the 20-somethings seeing them as retro/remember hearing their folks playing them when they were kids.

The fact is, that type of music isn't produced anymore by newer acts.

Edited by BigMarv

12 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

My group (early-mid 20s) aren't loving the line-up I have to say. 

Yeah my son was hoping to persuade some friends in the resale. He struggles to get them to see past the live music. Not sure he will be successful this year again but as he says, the lineup is the bonus bit

4 minutes ago, ZooScrapbook said:

Yeah, like I say, I know there are logistical, financial and contractual issues. I think they’ve painted themselves into a corner with previous comments.

Like others are saying though, if Lizzo isn’t big enough to headline, why have they listed her as a headliner in the poster? It seems they want it both ways, and this is where the main issue is for me. The 3 actual headliners sends off a poor message IMO.

As I said elsewhere I think Emily is aware she’s going to get grief off people expecting a Female headliner even though Emily never promised such a thing and explicitly said last June some years there will be all-male headliners. She knows how things gets twisted in the Media and on the Socials and is preparing for that. Personally I’d rather she do what @FloorFiller said and just tough it out but ultimately we’ve got both acts so…..great.

2 minutes ago, BigMarv said:

Manics & Texas are ideal for Glastonbury. Feel good, sing-along pop/indie. The 40-something crowd reliving their youth, I expect the 20-somethings seeing them as retro/remember hearing their folks playing them when they were kids.

The fact is, that type of music isn't produced anymore by newer acts.

Are there not Butlins festivals for this kinda thing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2