SHANGRI-LA IS SEEKING ARTISTS, MAKERS, PERFORMERS AND CREATIVES TO JOIN US AT THIS YEAR'S GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL.

Yoghurt on a Stick

5 minutes ago, stanh said:

Not working for me if I click on it! 

Thanks stanh.

I'm as daft as a brush when it comes to IT matters. This way is a little primitive, but gets the info over;

SHANGRI-LA 2023

— OPEN CALL 2023

DEADLINE - Midnight Friday 17th March 2023
SHANGRI-LA IS SEEKING ARTISTS, MAKERS, PERFORMERS AND
CREATIVES TO JOIN US AT THIS YEAR'S GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL.

ABOUT SHANGRI-LA:
Shangri-La is Glastonbury Festival's most legendary late night area. Found tucked away in
the farthest corner from the main stages, it has both inspired and challenged its diverse and
devoted audiences since 2008.
Over the past 15 years Shangri-La has been exploring human connection through
provocative art installations, underground music programming, spectacular set design and
groundbreaking live art and performance. It continues to push the boundaries of what a
festival looks and feels like. These elements are woven together to create a fully immersive
experience unlike any other.
Shangri-La strives to illuminate progressive culture with great urgency - in the field and
beyond. By holding a mirror up to the masses, creating conversations, encouraging activism
and engagement, and stimulating all of the senses, we aim to expand minds and open
hearts, motivating people in politics and play. There are no spectators!

SHANGRI-LA 2019 Photo credit: David Levene

SHANGRI-LA 2023

MONEY - CASH - BREAD - DOUGH - GREEN - READIES - MOOLA - WONGA ....
Some say it makes the world go round.. but isn’t money just a consensual hallucination??
What do you value?
How is the value of something determined?
What are the alternatives?
RIP IT UP AND START AGAIN... EVERYTHING MUST GO!
CAPITALISM NEEDS TO GO! INEQUALITY MUST GO!
Systems, structures and hierarchies MUST GO!
What else needs to go? What is no longer serving us?
We are living in a world today, where nothing seems to be working for the masses.
Governments in bed with corporations, corporations hidden behind the media, the media
out to manipulate and push us into a capitalist society that prioritises the rich and exploits
the poorer - In turn leading us to environmental disaster and mass extinction.
We need new ways of existing. We need a new approach to MONEY, the VALUE of life,
and earth's RESOURCES. We have been fed a false sense of security through an illusion
that masks the unstable world we live in.
It's our responsibility to bring hope to people.. and create positive action through shared
experiences at Shangri-La. Be bold, be brave.. we’re in this together..

EVERYTHING MUST GO - Kennard Phillipps 2021 Photo credit: Martin Booth

SHANGRI-LA 2023

TYPES OF ARTWORKS THAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
• Installations - Inside, outside, any scale
• Window displays, peepholes
• Murals, paste ups
• Sculpture - especially sculptural seating - places to gather and connect
• Micro venues, housing immersive experiences
• Performance pieces
• A combination of any of the above... we are open to all ideas
KEY OBJECTIVES TO CONSIDER:
The work is Interactive / Emotive / Playful
It challenges peoples perspectives
It has to be fully inclusive to all
It encourages positive action and activism wherever possible
ACCESSIBILITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
Shangri-La is dedicated to supporting people with any needs or barriers, and we will
endeavor to facilitate and ask the festival for extra help for support workers if needed.
We believe ART IS FOR EVERYONE but we understand that coming to a festival can be
challenging for people, particularly if its your first time.
We welcome people who have less experience as we have a team of amazing makers and
producers who will assist with your projects and access to the festival and all its wonders.
Shangri-La is a huge extended family, and we welcome anyone with open arms to take part.
SUSTAINABILITY:
We are committed to influencing the way people treat the land at the festival, and the
planet as a whole. Our aim is to reduce waste and utilise recycled and reused materials
wherever possible. Please show that you have considered this in your proposal. Sustainable
projects will be prioritised.
BUDGET:
We aim to facilitate and support as many artists as possible within Shangri-la, however cash
support is more of a challenge. We aim to cover all material costs and expenses, and our
experienced supportive team will assist every artist in creating magic.
Tickets to the festival are not always included - it depends on the project itself. This also
means you can still be a part of the exhibition even if you cannot attend in person.
DEADLINES/TIMELINES:
SUBMIT YOUR WORK USING THIS FORM: HERE
• Creative submission deadline closes : 17/03/23 - 00:00hrs
• Shortlist decisions made by 31/03/23, and contacted by 07/04/23 latest.
• Work needs to be ready for installation onsite by the week of: 12/06/23

SHANGRI-LA 2023

SHANGRI-LA MANIFESTO

SHANGRI-LA IS A PLACE DEDICATED TO SUPPORTING CREATIVITY IN

ALL ITS UNIQUE FORMS.

A COLLABORATION, A UNIFICATION AND A CELEBRATION OF
DYNAMIC, DIVERSE, ALTERNATIVE UNDERGROUND CULTURE.

THIS IS A SAFE(R) SPACE. We say “safe (r)” because we realise that
not everyone experiences spaces in the same way as others.
A safe (r) space is a supportive, non-threatening environment that
encourages openness, respect, a willingness to learn from others, as
well as physical and mental safety. It is a space that criticises the

power structures that affect our daily lives.

WE make every effort to respect and understand the specific needs of

everyone.

ALL who are a part of the show in whichever capacity have the

responsibility to uphold the values of the space.

WE STRIVE TO ACHIEVE THIS - AND CAN ONLY DO SO TOGETHER.

AT Shangri-La there is ZERO TOLERANCE OF violence, racism, sexism,
transphobia, body negativity, sexual harassment, discrimination of age,
religion or belief, gender or sexuality, visible or invisible mental or

physical limitations.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Neil said:

does work, downloads a pdf.

Think there might be a forum setting that only admins can download attached pdfs, or certain accounts can't - every attached pdf I've seen on the forum shows as "attachment unavailable" for me with the error suggesting there's a permissions issue:

image.png.406d18bbec0439124a3f3f11e8d06ded.png

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, incident said:

Think there might be a forum setting that only admins can download attached pdfs, or certain accounts can't - every attached pdf I've seen on the forum shows as "attachment unavailable" for me with the error suggesting there's a permissions issue:

same... Same with videos and any other type of attachment besides photos... always has been this way. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

I think you're right as I think downloads are disabled for most folk. I cant check that or change it right now as the control panel is a bitch to use on a phone. Will try to remember to look at it tomorrow when at my desk, but I'm out this morning so it won't be until the afternoon 

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello SC (Can I call you that?),.

Thanks for pointing out that there might be a problem. The thing is, I can't see  what the problem is. Can you clarify?

people in the 'members' group, or 'gold members' don't have the permissions to download attachment, i just tried to enable attachments, and cant see how to sort it.

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello SC (Can I call you that?),.

Thanks for pointing out that there might be a problem. The thing is, I can't see  what the problem is. Can you clarify?

I was referring to the attachment in your entries. God only knows what you attached, with your IT skills...

And I'd be honoured if you called me SC. As long as I can call you Yog.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I was referring to the attachment in your entries. God only knows what you attached, with your IT skills...

And I'd be honoured if you called me SC. As long as I can call you Yog.

'You' can call me anything you like SC, you naughty little minx you! lol  😊

If I'm honest, I just sent photos in of some of the heads that I used to make. I think I've probably made about 30 different heads. I have given them all away, apart from these few and a couple of others. These one's aren't exactly my best. I was thinking that the one made with spent lottery tickets might fit the bill with their anti capitalism agenda. 

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

'You' can call me anything you like SC, you naughty little minx you! lol  😊

If I'm honest, I just sent photos in of some of the heads that I used to make. I think I've probably made about 30 different heads. I have given them all away, apart from these few and a couple of others. These one's aren't exactly my best. I was thinking that the one made with spent lottery tickets might fit the bill with their anti capitalism agenda. 

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

I love these, Yog! Very on-brand for the south east corner.

Reminds me of some of the outsider art pieces in a gallery I visited in Lausanne, Switzerland. "Art Brut" is my favourite style. The most creative and non-pretentious, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I love these, Yog! Very on-brand for the south east corner.

Reminds me of some of the outsider art pieces in a gallery I visited in Lausanne, Switzerland. "Art Brut" is my favourite style. The most creative and non-pretentious, in my opinion.

Agree! Let us know if it works out @Yoghurt on a Stick !

I am wondering if I could come up with something graffiti like. My cans have not been used during the winter though so both skills and paints may have taken a hit. And I'm sure they have dozens of people more talented than me.

Edited by moogster

Feels very tight that tickets aren't guaranteed as part of a successful submission... I've designed and built installations are multiple festivals now and tickest are always part of the package... Very unrewarding if you were to design and build something and then not get to see people expeiernce it in the environment it was designed for....