Slam Dunk 2024

Dukey

1 hour ago, willsmith700 said:

You Me at Six sound like they are headlining in some form. Josh pretty much hinted / gave it away at an event at Key Club a few weeks ago. Agree it is a massively underwhelming choice from Slamdunk. Hopefully Rancid finally knock it out the park. Personally, I'm desperate for Jawbreaker to show up one year. 

I'm going for YM@6 co-headline with someone and Avril Lavigne.

7 hours ago, foolee said:

You Me At Six is such a dead choice. Hoping they aren’t the main headliner and they’ve booked Avril, would be nice to get someone different. 

It is. We will prob find out this week anyway. 

If Rancid and YM@6 co-headlined given the festival is a bit bigger now than when Rancid were first down and they played second then it would clear for Avril but still be a run

On 8/26/2023 at 8:55 PM, northernangel said:

It is. We will prob find out this week anyway. 

If Rancid and YM@6 co-headlined given the festival is a bit bigger now than when Rancid were first down and they played second then it would clear for Avril but still be a run

Why would we find out this week? Bit early for a SD announcement isn’t it? 

1 minute ago, foolee said:

Why would we find out this week? Bit early for a SD announcement isn’t it? 

Nope, the headliners and first poster came last week August 22 for this, 30th August in fact so poster could be a couple of days away. Day after bank holiday last year. It was August 26th they announced the announcement. 9th September very latest for on sale but i think it'll be earlier. 

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

Nope, the headliners and first poster came last week August 22 for this, 30th August in fact so poster could be a couple of days away. Day after bank holiday last year. It was August 26th they announced the announcement. 9th September very latest for on sale but i think it'll be earlier. 

They made the announcement for that announcement on the 26th (the Friday) and for 2021 the first announcement was on the 21st of September. Don't think it's coming anytime until some point in September. Can see it maybe being announced as soon as Hot Mulligan and TSSF finish their dates over here.

I'd say Slam Dunk is probably the festival in which the headliners matters the least. It's always the undercard that sells it, due to the genre I presume. YM@6 would bore me, and to be honest I'm not sure Rancid on a big stage in the wind appeals either. But shove The Front Bottoms, Hot Mulligan, The Bronx and a bunch of other emo bands in, with a couple of reunions as per (Something Corporate seems very likely), and I'll consider it. I'll only be convinced if they make drastic changes to the layout/organisation the farce of this year as well as having a good line-up.

56 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

I'd say Slam Dunk is probably the festival in which the headliners matters the least. It's always the undercard that sells it, due to the genre I presume. YM@6 would bore me, and to be honest I'm not sure Rancid on a big stage in the wind appeals either. But shove The Front Bottoms, Hot Mulligan, The Bronx and a bunch of other emo bands in, with a couple of reunions as per (Something Corporate seems very likely), and I'll consider it. I'll only be convinced if they make drastic changes to the layout/organisation the farce of this year as well as having a good line-up.

This year was fine for me as i always travel by train to hatfield. I think now that it costs £90+ the headliners very much do matter.

• Upvote 1

Didn't say they don't matter, just that they matter less than the undercard. People go to Download, R&L, Glasto, IOW, even mid-fests like 2000Trees and Kendal Calling etc, and the headliners are the main draw. Whereas with SD, headliners quite often tour the UK and aren't very unique (Shikari toured before and are touring after SD, Offspring toured the Autumn before), while the undercard always has gems. Fireworks reformation, SLS, Hawthorne Heights, Less Than Jake doing Hello, Rockview!, KIGH reformation. The undercard is always unique and has as big, if not a bigger pull, than the headliners imo.

YM@6 play regularly, Rancid played a couple of shows this Summer but would be a fairly unique one, which means a solid, interesting undercard would probably sell it out again. Something Corporate reformation exclusive, for example, could sell it out alone.

13 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

Didn't say they don't matter, just that they matter less than the undercard. People go to Download, R&L, Glasto, IOW, even mid-fests like 2000Trees and Kendal Calling etc, and the headliners are the main draw. Whereas with SD, headliners quite often tour the UK and aren't very unique (Shikari toured before and are touring after SD, Offspring toured the Autumn before), while the undercard always has gems. Fireworks reformation, SLS, Hawthorne Heights, Less Than Jake doing Hello, Rockview!, KIGH reformation. The undercard is always unique and has as big, if not a bigger pull, than the headliners imo.

YM@6 play regularly, Rancid played a couple of shows this Summer but would be a fairly unique one, which means a solid, interesting undercard would probably sell it out again. Something Corporate reformation exclusive, for example, could sell it out alone.

I think Glastonbury is the one where headliners matter the least. 

3 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

The one thing that I kept seeing about Trees and amongst my camp is that the headliners this year weren't great but the had a good undercard. I've been going to Trees since 2015 and think there has only been like 5 headliners that I really wanted to see. Headliners are never really the main draw for a lot of people. 

3 hours ago, justanothername said:

The one thing that I kept seeing about Trees and amongst my camp is that the headliners this year weren't great but the had a good undercard. I've been going to Trees since 2015 and think there has only been like 5 headliners that I really wanted to see. Headliners are never really the main draw for a lot of people. 

Agreed, this year we only watched Soft Play and last year we only watched Thrice and a bit of Idles. Undercard is way more important at Trees for me. Same for Slam Dunk too imo though

9 hours ago, justanothername said:

Trees was very good value but I feel it is very over priced now.

11 hours ago, northernangel said:

Trees was very good value but I feel it is very over priced now.

£190 for 4 days is still pretty solid. Music goes from 11-11 (5-11 on Wednesday). So 42 hours of music for £190 is great value - £4.50 per hour (and we spend every hour watching whatever's on). Loads of gems throughout the day too - all about the undercard. 

2 hours ago, sacred shape said:

£190 for 4 days is still pretty solid. Music goes from 11-11 (5-11 on Wednesday). So 42 hours of music for £190 is great value - £4.50 per hour (and we spend every hour watching whatever's on). Loads of gems throughout the day too - all about the undercard. 

If you do that maybe but i don't think the festival book strong enough for the increase in price. Wednesday isn't a full day mind.

I look at other festivals like Superstruct for example who all charge less with bigger bands. 

Edited by northernangel

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

If you do that maybe but i don't think the festival book strong enough for the increase in price. Wednesday isn't a full day mind.

I look at other festivals like Superstruct for example who all charge less with bigger bands. 

Fair point, but I guess you save money on drinks though. Instead of 20 £6-7 pints, I had a litre of rum and a 12-pack of beer for £40. 

4 hours ago, sacred shape said:

Fair point, but I guess you save money on drinks though. Instead of 20 £6-7 pints, I had a litre of rum and a 12-pack of beer for £40. 

Yes you can take your drinks in. It's not majorly catered for me hence I've only been to two, 1 day events there but I still recognise names and the value. Wed isn't that heavily booked though, a little add on if you like. The bonus is as well, if you camp close it's very easy to return to and from the site to have a drinking period. I spent £100 i think at Y Not over 3 days.

The other side though is you are getting at least two arena bands at some of those other festivals and even with the Thursday being extra, at £200 max with the final tier, £6.25 a can while still being pricey does make it more bearable.

Even at £125 as the early birds go quickly, the likes of Y Not in value is just another level imo.