Rented motorhome with solar panels

JOYO72

Hi all - relative newbie here - Have been to Glasto but not since 1998 (massive mudpit!).  Much older now and going in a rented swish motorhome with all the facilities including 1000w solar panels.  But have never been in one before and am wondering what this might allow us to use? I am guessing the fridge and hot water will be off limits, but maybe some LED lighting? Phone charging? And obviously this will depend on the sun shining!

What do we all think?

Thanks guys 🙂

1 hour ago, JOYO72 said:

Hi all - relative newbie here - Have been to Glasto but not since 1998 (massive mudpit!).  Much older now and going in a rented swish motorhome with all the facilities including 1000w solar panels.  But have never been in one before and am wondering what this might allow us to use? I am guessing the fridge and hot water will be off limits, but maybe some LED lighting? Phone charging? And obviously this will depend on the sun shining!

What do we all think?

Thanks guys 🙂

Anytime I've rented a motorhome or caravan the fridge, cooker and water have all been gas, but confirm what they will supply you (most give a bottle or two) 

I presume it will come with a fully charged leisure battery. Last year I was fine with my cheap leisure battery (which was never recharged while I was there, 10 days), could charge multiple phones and use my LED lighting. Mind you I spend very little time awake in my van at Glastonbury, maybe about an hour in the morning and the odd few minutes during the day.

With 1000w solar panels you'll have more than enough power, even if it's overcast all festival.

agree with the comments on Gas... would very much expect that. Fridge is probably able to run off gas or battery.

One thing to be aware of is water. Whilst there are standpipes in the CV fields you cant really just drive up to them and fill up..  so make sure you fill up before hand and consider (ask the rental Co) some kind of additional water carrier if you intend to use the shower (which you should tbf..)

Quick note - there's almost certainly been a typo somewhere, as 1000w is a huge amount of solar for all but the largest RVs.

For perspective, I've got 150w on mine and couldn't possibly fit more than 350w (and that would be a challenge).

Most vans will have gas stoves, gas fridge, gas heating and hot water.

However.... some new models (along with self builds and VW kind of vans) are fitted with 12v compressor fridges rather than gas. 

It's 50/50 whether these can last the entire festival. Amount of sunshine, size of battery(s) installed and size of solar set up will dictate duration.

My Volkswagen (loaned to a friend) has 175w solar, 115ah leisure battery and 12v compressor fridge, by Sunday lunchtime the fridge had switched off (lack of power) but there was enough juice left for lights and phone charging.

What brand/model of van are you hiring?

I suggest you check what facilities the van includes, to be clear. I'm assuming the panel keeps the leisure batteries (1 or 2?) charged, so you'll be fine using lights and charging phones, and even quick showers. I'm assuming you'll have USB sockets for charging, or are there cigarette sockets / hella 12v sockets to plug into?

Our fridge is 3way, (gas, 12v, 240v), but runs the batteries down to the cut off switch in hours if left on 12v. However, it's from 2005 so who knows what new stuff can do. I'm assuming the fridge will run on gas though.

There'll be a screen inside that can show the battery charges so you'll know if they're running low and should be left to charge via the panel, which I think will be 100w, plenty enough for the week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 4:40 PM, JOYO72 said:

What do we all think?

Thanks guys 🙂

This looks appealing to me, given my age and assorted medical issues (getting.ild.is rubbish!).

May I ask how much it costs to rent something like that?  Also, did you secure the parking place for the camper before or after you bought your festival ticket?  If after, are you guaranteed to get a camper van place if you want one?

Nick

3 hours ago, Nick_ said:

This looks appealing to me, given my age and assorted medical issues (getting.ild.is rubbish!).

May I ask how much it costs to rent something like that?  Also, did you secure the parking place for the camper before or after you bought your festival ticket?  If after, are you guaranteed to get a camper van place if you want one?

Nick

You get the campervan/caravan tickets after the main sale - but getting one isnt guaranteed...it's like a mini-main ticket sale when they come available to book (normally about a month after the main sale).

Not sure if you can get a refund after buying one (in other words there may not be a resale) as you have to pay in full at the time of booking, it's not like the main ticket deposit scheme.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Mr Grump. So if you buy a ticket for the festival, you might then find you can't get permission to bring the camper van, and have to resell your festival ticket?  That's a bit annoying.

What about other accommodation with your own space and toilets - is that the same?

14 hours ago, Nick_ said:

Thanks, Mr Grump. So if you buy a ticket for the festival, you might then find you can't get permission to bring the camper van, and have to resell your festival ticket?  That's a bit annoying.

What about other accommodation with your own space and toilets - is that the same?

Can’t comment on campervans but If you’re referring to Worthy View or Sticklinch Pre erected accommodation (tents) with  access to showers etc provided by the festival - then it is not as difficult to obtain. Fancier tents go very quickly but scout tents are widely available

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 11:27 AM, Nick_ said:

Nick

Thanks all. Sorry I hadn't replied! Yes I meant 100W not 1000W - good spot.

It is costing us about £1000 for the week

17 hours ago, JOYO72 said:

Thanks all. Sorry I hadn't replied! Yes I meant 100W not 1000W - good spot.

It is costing us about £1000 for the week

I was going to say 1000W is massive.

I converted a camper for last year and had 120W solar panel with a single leisure battery (110ah)

It ran everything we needed for the whole week - fridge, fan, lights, charging phones and power banks etc.

The weather was great though so we basically got 12hours of sunshine every day

• 8 months later...

My VW aT25 camper (with cooker fridge bed and awning plus an LPG conversion for cheaper greener fuel) is for sale if anyone is interested it's  £5k ono.