Albums of the year 2022 (publication lists(

2loor2iller

On 11/25/2022 at 11:20 PM, Punksnotdead said:

YYY's is one of my 2 biggest disappointments of the year (not as bad as Arctic Monkeys). I mean, it's alright, but if it's only 30 minutes long & there's a couple of duff tracks on it - I'm not sure it's been worth the long wait?

It certainly feels very brief after such a long wait, and I think a bit of a tracklist re-jig could go some way in making it flow a bit better, but I dig it and it’s only gotten better with repeat listens. Hopefully they’ll stick around and it won’t be such a long wait for the next one. 

Edited by 2loor2iller

I always enjoy at this time of year following Metacritic's aggregation of all Top 10 end-of-year lists to give a more "definitive" view of what can often be very subjective.

Here was last year's, sure they'll start the 2022 count this week: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/music-critics-pick-top-10-best-albums-of-2021

They also do TV/Films too which helps narrow what to watch!

38 minutes ago, 2loor2iller said:

https://www.loudandquiet.com/short/loud-and-quiet-albums-of-the-year-2022/

Decent list with a lot of stuff I’m sure people here do/will enjoy, and some interesting picks including the #1 that I’ve never even heard of but will be sure to give a listen. 

Glad to see Rina Sawayama on the list that would probably make my top 10 at present. Really love it. 

3 hours ago, 2loor2iller said:

https://www.loudandquiet.com/short/loud-and-quiet-albums-of-the-year-2022/

Decent list with a lot of stuff I’m sure people here do/will enjoy, and some interesting picks including the #1 that I’ve never even heard of but will be sure to give a listen. 

Interesting that neither Black Country New Road or deathcrash made the top 30 but were higher rated by reviewers in L&Q than most other albums in the list.

A few of my favourites in there like Claire Rousay, Kikagaku Moyo, Richard Dawson, Hinako Omori and Caroline.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Glad to see Rina Sawayama on the list that would probably make my top 10 at present. Really love it. 

I've tried with that album a few times and it doesn't do anything for me although admittedly the production is incredible.

Sometimes I have to admit some things just aren't for me.

2 hours ago, benali said:

Interesting that neither Black Country New Road or deathcrash made the top 30 but were higher rated by reviewers in L&Q than most other albums in the list.

A few of my favourites in there like Claire Rousay, Kikagaku Moyo, Richard Dawson, Hinako Omori and Caroline.

BCNR are top on this best of:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=2022&f=&fv=&orderby=InfoRankScore&sortdir=desc&page=1

13 hours ago, benali said:

I've tried with that album a few times and it doesn't do anything for me although admittedly the production is incredible.

Sometimes I have to admit some things just aren't for me.

Yep not everything is for everyone and that's perfectly fine. There are some acts that people rave about that I think are bang average or even terrible. 

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

This is the one I was looking forward to. Usually find some gems by looking at the albums that the individual dj's have chosen. 

Tom Ravenscroft is on point with his choice, but then he would be because his show is one of the few bearable ones on 6music.

https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/AOTY-2022/?utm_campaign=recordstorecoukWeek48AOTYAnnounce291122&utm_content=UMGUK33552-936710&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Email&vvsa_consumer_id=16009753

Always a bit sceptical of record store ones as they rarely pick an album that's sold out but as it arrived in my mailbox I thought I'd share it. 

huge lack of Bjork on these lists. I've played Fossora non-stop since it came out. 

NIce to see that Loud and Quiet gave some love to Hinako Omori. She's a dear friend, and works extremely hard - I thought her album was stunning.  Check it out if you're into ambient/electronics.  

Aldous Harding's record is tracking a bit lower than I would have expected.  It's not exactly a new sound for her, but I think equally as good as her previous efforts.  

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

Top 10 from Songlines Magazine:

https://www.songlines.co.uk/news/10-best-albums-of-2022

I like Songlines but sometimes I think they wilfully ignore music that becomes popular, such as this year’s 2 albums from Vieux Farka Toure (one with Khruangbin) and the Rokia Kone one.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I like Songlines but sometimes I think they wilfully ignore music that becomes popular, such as this year’s 2 albums from Vieux Farka Toure (one with Khruangbin) and the Rokia Kone one.

Those are great albums - I agree.
And the Sona Jobarteh one has only just been released. I do like her (saw her live this summer; she was great) but I couldn't judge an album so soon; you need a bit of time with it.

Edited by Watergirl

2 hours ago, Olshansky said:

huge lack of Bjork on these lists. I've played Fossora non-stop since it came out. 

NIce to see that Loud and Quiet gave some love to Hinako Omori. She's a dear friend, and works extremely hard - I thought her album was stunning.  Check it out if you're into ambient/electronics.  

Aldous Harding's record is tracking a bit lower than I would have expected.  It's not exactly a new sound for her, but I think equally as good as her previous efforts.  

Seen Bjork on quite a few lists to be fair.  I like it but I’m not surprised it’s not high up on all the lists.

Yes really like Hinako Omori (it’s no. 40 on my AOTY list).  Saw it had been recommended by a few users on here earlier this year. 

• Upvote 1