Theatre/Musicals/plays - seen anything good/bad recently?

GeezLouise

Saw Good with David Tennant last night, and would sort of echo @doogie's sentiment.  The structure of the play isn't great, and there's a whole side "plot" that doesn't seem to go anywhere or serve much purpose.  The actors were excellent, and the underlying theme of how "good" people can justify evil acts quite timely, but I couldn't fully recommend it.

Saw Othello at the National the other night, and that was excellent, I would though say, unless you are a very slight person, never sit on the first 4 rows.  You think you're getting a bargain at £20 a ticket, but the seats are so narrow and uncomfortable, it's a nightmare.

And I'll add my voice to saying that Moulin Rouge is brilliant.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:39 PM, Greenelk said:

Saw Othello at the National the other night, and that was excellent, I would though say, unless you are a very slight person, never sit on the first 4 rows.  You think you're getting a bargain at £20 a ticket, but the seats are so narrow and uncomfortable, it's a nightmare.

After the last play I went to I decided to start adding to the view from my seat website, as I've found it helpful myself. Some of the back ones have great views and room and are always cheap (and now and then I get bumped into better seats by the venue. The woman who printed my tickets at the very back of Death of a Salesman bumped me up to front row on the circle. I was so close to Wendell Pierce it was crazy)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, christmas and new year theatre roundup: 

My partner took me to see the one and only Basil Brush doing a panto in WIndsor for my Christmas present (basil is my favourite!). It was a pretty average panto but there is a bit in it where they do the 12 Days of christmas but with items they throw at each other and into the audience (seemingly happens every year) which bumps it up a bit. Plus basil ❤️

in the new year got tickets to see another Panto! Mother Goose with  Sir Ian McKellen. would highly recommend seeing it if you can - especially as it is touring until April! support your local theatre 🙂

Wednesday this week was Bugsy Malone at Ally Pally. I've never seen bugsy malone before so found it SUPER WEIRD. why are they children? Is it a social commentary on the sexualisation of children in the media? on the accessibility of guns at such a young age? who knows.   The kids were trying really hard but ultimately struggled with the accents and speed of speech which meant i couldn't really understand a lot of what they were saying. I found the plot a bit strange too. 

Anyone else see anything good? Got my last christmas show of the season on saturday - Dolly Parton's Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol!

Caught a bunch of stuff in the West End just before Christmas - Back To The Future (funny, great effects, forgettable songs), Jersey Boys (fantastic) and Book of Mormon (also fantastic though I think if it came out today it'd probably be cancelled). Used TodayTix and managed to pay no more than £25 for good seats.

Also saw/played Phantom Peak which is an interactive theatrical experience which was very, very good. 5 hours wondering around a town, following missions and speaking to characters.

Closer to home, saw Christmas Carol at the RSC with Ade Edmonson. Was a great production and have never seen a show with signing so well implemented before - done by someone on stage following the characters around. Sounds like it would be intrusive but really wasn't.

• Like 1

Saw My Neighbour Totoro at the barbican just before Christmas, it was honestly magical! Totoro was so enormous hahaha, I've been eyeing up Totoro plushies ever since - in that vein we also went to see The Ocean at the End of the Lane recently and that's fab! the puppetry in both shows is so amazing - I think Ocean is touring now as well!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Padjeq said:

After the last play I went to I decided to start adding to the view from my seat website, as I've found it helpful myself. Some of the back ones have great views and room and are always cheap (and now and then I get bumped into better seats by the venue. The woman who printed my tickets at the very back of Death of a Salesman bumped me up to front row on the circle. I was so close to Wendell Pierce it was crazy)

on the whole, though, theres no real bad view at the National. I was at the back row of the cirlce for Othello - to echo @Greenelk - it was amazing. View and production

24 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

on the whole, though, theres no real bad view at the National. I was at the back row of the cirlce for Othello - to echo @Greenelk - it was amazing. View and production

I saw Network at the National a few years back. There was an empty seat directly in front of me, and towards the end of the play Bryan Cranston jumped off stage and sat in it, continuing his monologue.

17 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

And on the subject of the National Theatre, Richard Hawley's musical, Standing at the Sky's Edge, is on at the Olivier next month. Anyone see it when it was on at Sheffield? 

Not in Sheffield, but have tickets for it at the NT.   Looking forward to it

On 12/16/2022 at 4:07 PM, JayDiesel said:

Ooooh, what I'd pay for a ticket to see Paul Mescal in Streetcar next month. Incredibly envious of anyone going

I wonder if this will transfer...

On 1/13/2023 at 2:42 PM, Padjeq said:

I saw Network at the National a few years back. There was an empty seat directly in front of me, and towards the end of the play Bryan Cranston jumped off stage and sat in it, continuing his monologue.

What did you think of the Network? I was so disappointed. 

Went to see George Takei's musical Allegiance at the Charing Cross theatre on last Thursday.  Would really recommend it if you like old school musicals. Was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. George Takei is in it a fair amount too. 

Tonight going to see The Unfriend by Stephen Moffat 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:12 PM, GeezLouise said:

So, christmas and new year theatre roundup: 

in the new year got tickets to see another Panto! Mother Goose with  Sir Ian McKellen. would highly recommend seeing it if you can - especially as it is touring until April! support your local theatre 🙂

We saw this on NYE in London. Great fun! 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, drunk pumpkin said:

I've got tickets to see The Unfriend in a couple of weeks written by Steven Moffat with 2 of the league of gentlemen involved (directing and starring in)

Really looking forward to it!

Would love to know what people think of it if anyone has seen it yet

I went to see this on Tuesday and loved it! My mother in law came along as she loves all their dark comedy and she was crying with laughter. Would highly recommend. 

went to see The Burnt City by punchdrunk tonight and… oh dear…. I had a horrible boring time. Would be interested to hear others experiences! 
I think I’m just not cut out for immersive theatre, I’m constantly thinking about who I SHOULD have followed while I watch an actor wipe a table down 50 times. 

Edited by GeezLouise
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sylvia at the Old Vic tonight and…. Whoooooweeeeee did I not enjoy it for so many reasons.

the main reason being that the first half is a hamilton rip off.  it finds its feet in the second half but it had already lost me by that point. Bev does a good job though. 

Would LOVE to hear what other people think as it got a roaring standing ovation so other people clearly enjoyed it so I guess I’m the only one with any taste 🥰

Edited by GeezLouise

On 1/13/2023 at 5:39 PM, anditmakesmesmile said:

And on the subject of the National Theatre, Richard Hawley's musical, Standing at the Sky's Edge, is on at the Olivier next month. Anyone see it when it was on at Sheffield? 

I saw it in Sheffield, absolutely loved it.  It’s really clever how the various stories are threaded together and the music and cast are excellent.
Possibly a bit biased as I lived in the newly gentrified Park Hill flats which it’s based around for a year and there were a lot of amusing Sheffield references.. but I think it still translates well to a non Yorkshire audience.

Would definitely recommend catching it if you can.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:57 PM, GeezLouise said:

went to see The Burnt City by punchdrunk tonight and… oh dear…. I had a horrible boring time. Would be interested to hear others experiences! 
I think I’m just not cut out for immersive theatre, I’m constantly thinking about who I SHOULD have followed while I watch an actor wipe a table down 50 times. 

I did it in Twixmas and I enjoyed it…to an extent

So much of it is impressive but as soon as it was over you start kicking yourself about things you missed. Then you think whether you’d really want to spend another 3 hours in there any time soon to follow a dialogue-free plot just to tie up loose ends

The intensity of some of the audience members is hilarious though. Moving around like they’re one of the actors, raiding the drawers and reading all the documents. Like surely it should never have to be that hard

On 1/13/2023 at 1:47 PM, ahoykatie said:

Saw My Neighbour Totoro at the barbican just before Christmas, it was honestly magical! Totoro was so enormous hahaha, I've been eyeing up Totoro plushies ever since - in that vein we also went to see The Ocean at the End of the Lane recently and that's fab! the puppetry in both shows is so amazing - I think Ocean is touring now as well!

Love love loved Totoro- managed to get day seats for the front row. Magical show! Did 3 shows back-to-back early Jan- Jack & the Beanstalk at the Lyric (cheap and cheerful), Totoro (amazing) and Mary Poppins - also day seats, as my kid was keen to see it before it finished. Was a decent spectacle with several highs and a few flat bits.

Have the Unfriend, Lehman Trilogy & Pillowman to look fwd to. Keeping an eye on this thread for other tips!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

I did it in Twixmas and I enjoyed it…to an extent

So much of it is impressive but as soon as it was over you start kicking yourself about things you missed. Then you think whether you’d really want to spend another 3 hours in there any time soon to follow a dialogue-free plot just to tie up loose ends

The intensity of some of the audience members is hilarious though. Moving around like they’re one of the actors, raiding the drawers and reading all the documents. Like surely it should never have to be that hard

I agree about the audience, everyone was ready to rifle when it started but quickly realised there was nothing of any interest in any of the props. It actually kind of bothered me that there wasn’t anything for the audience to figure out.
I think even if you went again and picked different people, I’m not sure how much more you’d get from it. 
ah well, I will give punchdrunk another try but I’ll maybe read some reviews first next time. 

1 minute ago, GeezLouise said:

I agree about the audience, everyone was ready to rifle when it started but quickly realised there was nothing of any interest in any of the props. It actually kind of bothered me that there wasn’t anything for the audience to figure out.
I think even if you went again and picked different people, I’m not sure how much more you’d get from it. 
ah well, I will give punchdrunk another try but I’ll maybe read some reviews first next time. 

There's a small subreddit where people have outlined I assume all the storylines. Reading those was enough for me

https://www.reddit.com/r/Punchdrunk/