Theatre/Musicals/plays - seen anything good/bad recently?

GeezLouise

Not sure there is an appetite for this thread,  but worth a shot (?)

Saw the new version of From Here To Eternity musics at Charing Cross Theatre last night. Not as good as the original (RIP Darius), but still worth a gander. 

Do you think we’re likely to see the ladies of Six anywhere on the farm? Would love to see a few songs on sensation seekers stage or perhaps opening the pyramid on Sunday in what I think of as the ‘weird shit’ slot. 

Saw Totoro at the Barbican a few weeks ago, that was amazing.

I agree that the Sunday morning pyramid spot would be great for a musical - maybe not a full production, but a selection of songs. I'm sure they've had things like opera and ballet there, so why not a Lin-Manuel Miranda greatest hits set?

22 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Saw Totoro at the Barbican a few weeks ago, that was amazing.

I agree that the Sunday morning pyramid spot would be great for a musical - maybe not a full production, but a selection of songs. I'm sure they've had things like opera and ballet there, so why not a Lin-Manuel Miranda greatest hits set?

Yep, there has been.  Wouldn't even need to be first thing in the morning, think they'd do well subbing for Peter Kay.

Would love to see Totoro, don't suppose that's one they'll do a live recording for cinema with?

I recently saw David Tennant, who most of you know as The Doctor, in a play called Good. The Doctor was really good in that even though he wasn't playing The Doctor.  However, the play wasn't much good.

The following night I saw a different play called 'The Doctor', which The Doctor wasn't in, but that play was really good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, a thread I can definitely get on board with! Would be fun to have a musical mania type section somewhere.

I'd also love to see some more puppetry. I love the national theatre style puppets. Would be good to see some kind of puppet play in the theatre

4 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Yes, a thread I can definitely get on board with! Would be fun to have a musical mania type section somewhere.

I'd also love to see some more puppetry. I love the national theatre style puppets. Would be good to see some kind of puppet play in the theatre

The puppets that were at the jubilee this year were great, I’m kind of hoping they make an appearance at Glastonbury. 

6 hours ago, p.pete said:

Yep, there has been.  Wouldn't even need to be first thing in the morning, think they'd do well subbing for Peter Kay.

Would love to see Totoro, don't suppose that's one they'll do a live recording for cinema with?

Everyone I know that’s seen it has said it’s amazing. Not sure if they’ll record it, not heard anything yet 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LadyP said:

+1 for Prima Facie - the most impactful thing I’ve seen in a long time, Jodie Comer is phenomenal!

I saw Moulin Rouge last night which was fantastic - including upwards of 50 different songs it’s like a massive pop music mega mix, utterly joyful! 

I thought moulin rouge was AMAZING. the story of the show itself is just fine but the way they have decked out that theatre - I’ve never seen anything like it. The performances are so good, everything is just so high tempo. You do feel like you’ve taken something 😅

• 3 weeks later...

The festive season is upon us! I just got back from seeing The Snowman at the Peacock Theatre. It was.... just okay.  The snowman costumes were kind of terrifying and a lot of the time I felt like I was on drugs. or wished I was?

I think if you've got small kids, it'd be great. Most of the kids there seemed entertained. 

Not been to any the past couple of months, but love the theatre and musicals...

next week going to see Nightmare before christmas in london and have booked up War of the Worlds Immersive experience for the day before, love a good bit of "immersive" experience interactive theatre.. anyone been?

1 hour ago, garc1a said:

next week going to see Nightmare before christmas in london and have booked up War of the Worlds Immersive experience for the day before, love a good bit of "immersive" experience interactive theatre.. anyone been?

Ooooh, I didn’t know there was a version of nightmare on, let us know how it is! 

I’ve been to the War of the Worlds immersive experience. It was weird (good weird) but the VR was a bit janky but we went REALLY early in the run so hopefully it’s all been ironed out by now. There were themed cocktails also (my favourite theatre gimmick). 

when we came out the experience, Jeff Wayne was in the bar and I lost my mind, unsure if it’s a common experience 🤣

Just now, GeezLouise said:

Ooooh, I didn’t know there was a version of nightmare on, let us know how it is! 

I’ve been to the War of the Worlds immersive experience. It was weird (good weird) but the VR was a bit janky but we went REALLY early in the run so hopefully it’s all been ironed out by now. There were themed cocktails also (my favourite theatre gimmick). 

when we came out the experience, Jeff Wayne was in the bar and I lost my mind, unsure if it’s a common experience 🤣

Yeah the nightmare before xmas is danny elfman and Phoebe Bridgers doing the show live, to be fair i have never seen or heard it before, I'm going in blind. Was all my sons idea to go.. 

Jeff Wayne in the bar!! you cant get any more immersive than that! 😄 did you pull it together to have a chat?    ill be keeping my eyes peeled in case (now that i have googled to see what he actually looks like!)

15 hours ago, garc1a said:

Do check out Phantom Peak if you have time and like immersive experiences. We did it last weekend and was great fun.

• Thanks 1

Saw Eureka Day at the Old Vic in September. I figured given the subject of a virulent disease and a debate around anti-vaxxers it was a satire on the pandemic, but it actually debuted 6 months before covid took hold on the world. Helen Hunt had that hollywood magnetism and Mark McKinney was basically Glen from Superstore, but in sandals and socks. Nice time had for £15 (I was right at the back, no regrets)

Went to the War of the world's immersive experience last night, absolutely brilliant. Mix of theatre, VR  and  decent bar plus food prices. 

Very impressed with how it was done and plays on all the senses over a 100 minute walk through.  We paid 50 quid a ticket, compared to gig prices etc money well spent for the entertainment.

Highly recommend if your about London and in your face theatre is your thing.

Think I'm gonna drag my son round some iconic music locations today, heddon st, Camden market (rehearsals rehearsal s n abbey road)..

• Like 1

Wednesday went to Orlando with Emma Corrin. It was fine. Bit bland and didn’t really feel like theatre. Just a series of skits put together? It a felt very surface level. The creator thought to themselves, let’s have a non-binary person doing this gender bending book and that was as far as they got in terms of thought. 

Thursday was Newsies at Wembley. I thought it was good. Average songs but great dancing and use of space. One of the best sets I’ve seen in years too. The people who were loving it were LOVING it and it got a standing ovation mid-song at one point 

Edited by GeezLouise