Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, Skip997 said:

I'm not going to rise to this nonsense.

I think calling Eminem a victim of cancel culture when he himself said he went too far by calling Tyler the creator a slur - and was commended by his friend Elton John for doing so - is a little more nonsensical. He didn't put out any artistic expression into that line, it was an insult and it's the same insult Eminem's been using for decades because that's how he grew up and it's taken him this long to shake it. May not fully shake it yet. 

It's not artistic expression when you apologise for it afterwards. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I don't think they'll be there though, honestly. Not sure you'll see Chris at Glasto again since he very publicly stated how the online comments regarding him popping up in 2019 hurt his feelings.

Doing a guest spot then jumping on twitter looking for mentions of yourself is pretty egotistical.

5 hours ago, 09matthewsw said:

What are people’s thoughts on the Eminem rumours? His new stuff is rubbish  

Eminem has never been as lyrically and technically brilliant as much of his stuff over the last couple of albums. It’s not as radio friendly, which is fine by me, but to dismiss it as rubbish is to be ignorant of the art form. 

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Eminem has never been as lyrically and technically brilliant as much of his stuff over the last couple of albums. It’s not as radio friendly, which is fine by me, but to dismiss it as rubbish is to be ignorant of the art form

😂

this is the guy who dropped Kamikaze and Revival, I think Eminem is ignorant to the art form himself when he's releasing steamers like those

7 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

😂

this is the guy who dropped Kamikaze and Revival, I think Eminem is ignorant to the art form himself when he's releasing steamers like those

Thanks for your opinion. Most of Kamikaze was excellent and MTBMB was even better.  

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

No idea what's wrong with Jimmy Carr. Just make sure you never catch a glimpse of any footage of Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Jerry Sadowitz or several other controversial comedians. We have an increasing problem with "cancel culture" where intelligent people are being shut down from making interesting social comment through clever satire. People need to stop taking them so literally and see the message.

If Hicks were alive today he'd be on I'm A Celebrity.

Sadowtiz doesn't make sense any more - the appeal of someone saying shocking, vile, awful things existed in the 90s because he was the only place you could hear such things. There was this weird frisson to a lot of live comedy where you'd actually hear ideas you wouldn't hear anywhere else. Today you can go on Twitter and easily find people saying stuff just as appalling for free, and most of them actually mean it.  Comedy no longer needs to "say the unsayable" because that's what Twitter is for.

I gave up on Stanhope after two gigs on the trot where he turned up "can't be fucked" mode.

Wouldn't book any of them for Glastonbury. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kalifire said:

Thanks for your opinion. Most of Kamikaze was excellent and MTBMB was even better.  

I don't think I've ever heard it be referred to as excellent. Most reviews suggest it was bang average at best. Just because you enjoyed it doesn't mean those who didn't are ignorant to the art form. Lots of people didn't like it!

55 minutes ago, Bishmaple said:

When can we expect a first announcement? Wasn't it around this time Stormzy got announced?

I suspect next week or the week after. This weekend is the locals ticket sale so not expecting one before that.

Edited by s30foster
Spelling

5 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Next announcement is bound to be AM isn't it, wish it was someone different but can only see them or the Legend being announced at this stage.

I can't see it being the Legend if it is Roxy Music, the cries of "WHO!?" and "£330 FOR THEM?!" would be deafening, though pretty amusing.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I can't see it being the Legend if it is Roxy Music, the cries of "WHO!?" and "£330 FOR THEM?!" would be deafening, though pretty amusing.

Is there really a weird compulsion among the majority of punters to go and see the "legends slot" regardless?

Has no one told them that the other stages are also hosting acts on a Sunday afternoon?

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

I squeeze into this by a matter of months, so......

Solely UK artists I'd say Oasis 

Worldwide I'd go Beyonce

I've given this about 6 seconds thought so am probably forgetting someone obvious

Same instant reaction to the question.  Surely Oasis and Queen B have to be the 2?

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If Hicks were alive today he'd be on I'm A Celebrity.

No, he'd be an alt-right conspiracy theorist screaming bollocks out into the echo chamber on YouTube wearing a MAGA hat.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I don't think I've ever heard it be referred to as excellent. Most reviews suggest it was bang average at best. Just because you enjoyed it doesn't mean those who didn't are ignorant to the art form. Lots of people didn't like it!

Most people did, if collective review sites are to be believed. Regardless, he’s at a position in his career where the quality of the last couple of albums barely matters. Eminem would be a surprise choice, but he’d do a better job at it than Kanye did. 

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Most people did, if collective review sites are to be believed. Regardless, he’s at a position in his career where the quality of the last couple of albums barely matters. Eminem would be a surprise choice, but he’d do a better job at it than Kanye did. 

This is true. I don't think it'd be impossible to happen but I can't see it.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Is there really a weird compulsion among the majority of punters to go and see the "legends slot" regardless?

Has no one told them that the other stages are also hosting acts on a Sunday afternoon?

Well it's generally the biggest crowd of the weekend these days, an event, a thing (I think) a lot of people don't want to miss out on. I guess given the publicity it has has over more recent years, the whole "Forth Headliner" line that is pushed, people expect it to be something big.

I've had a great time elsewhere when it's been on, Red Rum Club v Kylie, North Mississipi Allstars v Dolly but I've also been to a few with mixed results (Ray Davies was great, ELO sounded good at least, Paul Simon was dissappointing and Diana Ross was poor).   

For me  it depends what else is on, are they an act I listen to at home? But I fully get why so many choose an act with legendary status  (whether they're a big fan or not) over a smaller act that they could probably see again some time soon.