2024 Headliners

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Joking aside, it will mean the likes of Harry Styles or The Weeknd or BLACKPINK or I dunno Doja Cat or SZA doing it in the years to come rather than them getting back on the phone to Skunk Anansie.

It feels like this is the exact point of the people who emphasise the 'contemporary performing arts' bit and say stop booking dated old guff like Guns n Roses. Not to imply that you were against that camp, just that necessity is going to mean that they'll get their way.

Just now, On The Blend said:

It feels like this is the exact point of the people who emphasise the 'contemporary performing arts' bit and say stop booking dated old guff like Guns n Roses. Not to imply that you were against that camp, just that necessity is going to mean that they'll get their way.

All about the balance imho. Got no issue with them even booking Justin f**king Bieber to headline if they've got Taylor and AC/DC on the other nights.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Joking aside, it will mean the likes of Harry Styles or The Weeknd or BLACKPINK or I dunno Doja Cat or SZA doing it in the years to come rather than them getting back on the phone to Skunk Anansie.

Yeah, that's definitely the direction the festival will need to take, and I know your post was in jest, but maybe they won't be able to overlook globally recognised acts like Bad Bunny and Drake in the future, if they want to keep the headliner pot as large as possible. 

When it comes to headliners, I really think we're due to see a shift in types of acts/artists by the time the next fallow year comes around.

50 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Where does O-rod fit now? She's a 'huge American' female talent with a massive GSH in her tour schedule, a well received new album and a good connection to the festival, who smashed her last set there.... This year's Billie? 

Billie was also playing arenas the year she headlined, and technically headlined on the next Glasto after her 2019 Other Stage debut. (Albeit with a pandemic thrown in there.) 

This please! Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa, Coldplay. Sorted. 

• Like 1

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno if it's that big a shift from booking Dua, Taylor and Billie Eilish to booking Harry Styles - especially given that the demand for him to do it seems uncommonly high.

Maybe not Harry Styles or The Weeknd, but I'd say they might not be able to swerve the likes of Bad Bunny, Drake, Karol G, Travis Scott, SZA, Blackpink, etc for much longer

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Maybe not Harry Styles or The Weeknd, but I'd say they might not be able to swerve the likes of Bad Bunny, Drake, Karol G, Travis Scott, SZA, Blackpink, etc for much longer

I'm sure you're right - but it'll happen at a point when the audience at the festival will absolutely be there for it and will show up en masse.  There won't even be so much as a Neil Lonsdale style petition. 

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

3 pop acts/nothing "heritage" at the top of the bill? Bollock dropped in Worthy HQ.

Could argue that Coldplay are heritage at this point... It'll literally be 1/4 of a century since their first Glastonbury appearance. 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Surely Coachella or an abundance of big city day festivals already serve that market? Can’t Glastonbury stay just a bit weird? 

I’m not sure how long the odd and interesting stuff at the edges will survive if the majority of the punters are there for acts so firmly in the (current) commercial mainstream. 

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Could argue that Coldplay are heritage at this point... It'll literally be 1/4 of a century since their first Glastonbury appearance. 

A grim scenario and reminder.

I’d even argue a fresh and in form O Rod is a better booking and watch than current Madonna. Although I’m not sure Glasto would make that call, I feel like they’d potentially call in The Killers for a favour. 

2 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Surely Coachella or an abundance of big city day festivals already serve that market? Can’t Glastonbury stay just a bit weird? 

I’m not sure how long the odd and interesting stuff at the edges will survive if the majority of the punters are there for acts so firmly in the (current) commercial mainstream. 

The headliners have always been in the commercial mainstream. Or at least for the last 30 years or so. It was admittedly a wee bit different in the Fela Kuti / Curtis Mayfield era.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Talking about a longer term planning horizon over the next decade or two.

You'd hope to see both rejoin us for a bow in the next decade yes. Would expect the inevitable Gallagher reunion event "#GRE" also.

It doesnt get us past what ostensibly appears to be a significant case of the dropped bollicks by WHQ for this year's shindiggeroony. Proper Rod, Jane and Freddie vibes off Dua+Livvia+Chris 'n the Top Blokes.

I think we should wait for Bad Bunny and Blackpink to have some commercial success in this country before they get booked to headline the biggest stage at our biggest festival.