2024 Headliners

Pink is "big enough" to headline, in that she shifts tickets and sells out her own shows, but Glastonbury doesn't need to shift tickets. They cater to an already enlisted audience, and I'm not sure that those enlisted are the right demographic for her. Whether that matters, I don't know.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Feel like Pink has a very strong/committed fan base, how well she'd translate to headlining Glasto, I don't know. A strong sub maybe, but can't see her having wide enough appeal.

Pink > Coldplay

O-Rod > Dua Lipa

Dave > Rhianna 

You need to reassess how big a sub is at Glastonbury.

6 hours ago, VCK said:

The difference is that GNR have that aura of legendary status so they'll always headline wherever they play. Having looked, in terms of UK fests she has played 4th down at V Festival, 5th down at TITP, and subbed IOW so even at her peak she never headlined anywhere here. I can imagine her being better suited to a Miley Cyrus/Katy Perry type slot.

Pink has headlined V - in 2017 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So - 3 subs who're all at headline level or thereabouts.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You need to reassess how big a sub is at Glastonbury.

I dunno. O-Rod/Dave are only being touted as a headliner because they're fresh faces and appease the "relevancy" contingent, but they're actually not that big. 

O-Rod is about as big as Lana and she only headlined the Other which is equivalent to subbing the Pyramid.

Dave is easily smaller than Lil Nas X/Lizzo. RB is on par or thereabouts with Dave.

2022 with Sam Fender, Noel/Oasis Karaoke, and Lorde have all been touted as potential headliners in the past (or in the case of Oasis, have been)... 

Katie Perry played third down one year. Shakira too. Don't know why Pink/O-Rod/Dave suddenly get an e-Fests bump. 

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I dunno. O-Rod/Dave are only being touted as a headliner because they're fresh faces and appease the "relevancy" contingent, but they're actually not that big. 

O-Rod is about as big as Lana and she only headlined the Other which is equivalent to subbing the Pyramid.

Dave is easily smaller than Lil Nas X/Lizzo. RB is on par or thereabouts with Dave.

2022 with Sam Fender, Noel/Oasis Karaoke, and Lorde have all been touted as potential headliners in the past (or in the case of Oasis, have been)... 

Katie Perry played third down one year. Shakira too. Don't know why Pink/O-Rod/Dave suddenly get an e-Fests bump. 

It's all good saying that Dave is on par with Royal Blood but it's just objectively not true.

O-Rod, Pink and Dave are bigger than all the acts you've just compared them to. Sam Fender is also on his way to headline, mind.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It's all good saying that Dave is on par with Royal Blood but it's just objectively not true.

O-Rod, Pink and Dave are bigger than all the acts you've just compared them to. Sam Fender is also on his way to headline, mind.

Except, a headline trio out of Dave, Fender, Pink, O-Rod would be pretty poor any way you look at it.

Just as it would have been if it had been Lizzo, RB, Lorde, Noel etc.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

6 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

By what metric? 😆

Well maybe she isn't even as big. A quick google shows me that Lana's had six number one albums in the UK compared to O-Rod's one.

Lana's been on the circuit for far longer, had way more tours across more continents. 

They have near identical monthly listens on Spotters tho... 

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Well maybe she isn't even as big. A quick google shows me that Lana's had six number one albums in the UK compared to O-Rod's one.

Lana's been on the circuit for far longer, had way more tours across more continents. 

They have near identical monthly listens on Spotters tho... 

But monthly listeners a bit of a misleading metric to include in defining an act's size: O-Rod has more than double the amount of monthly listeners than Rolling Stones and Metallica and over triple The Cure, Blur and Pearl Jam.

Edited by FrogLobster

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Except, a headline trio out of Dave, Fender, Pink, O-Rod would be pretty poor any way you look at it.

Well yeah it would be weird if all 3 headlined in one year. But one or two would work fine alongside a more established act.

4 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah but O-Rod has only released one album you silly billy. If sheer number of albums was the reason you get to headline glastonbury then King Gizzard would be booked every year.

9 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

But monthly listeners a bit of a misleading metric to include in defining an act's size: O-Rod has more than double the amount of monthly listeners than Rolling Stones and Metallica and over triple The Cure, Blur and Pearl Jam.

That's why I threw it in there at the end of my comment as it's the only thing thing O-Rod seems to beat LDR at.

Who do you think is bigger then, and why? I can't make out if you're agreeing or not.

7 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Well yeah it would be weird if all 3 headlined in one year. But one or two would work fine alongside a more established act.

Yeah but O-Rod has only released one album you silly billy. If sheer number of albums was the reason you get to headline glastonbury then King Gizzard would be booked every year.

I agree that potentially one could step up if there's no other options, but any from Dave, O-Rod, LDR, Fender, Pink would be firmly in the Foals category of "Are they big enough or have enough of a wide appeal?" You could argue that bands like Metallica/GnR don't have wide appeal, but they're in that God-tier of bands where it doesn't really matter if they have wide enough appeal because they're just so big.

My other point was refuting the idea that while Dave, O-Rod, Fender, Pink are being touted as potential headliners, there's a lot of examples of similar acts, or even bigger acts, accepting sub or lower slots. Can you explain why O-Rod, Dave, Fender, Pink couldn't be subs or lower, when this year we had Lil Nas X (who is huge), Lizzo (also huge), last year we had Lorde (previously touted as a potential headliner), Noel/Oasis Karaoke (massive in UK), Doja Cat (who dropped out but was huge), and in 2019 there was George Ezra who has been touted as a potential headliner, not to mention Shakira and Katy Perry - two massive pop stars who were at the height of their popularity yet only played third down. 

But for some reason, O-Rod, Dave, Fender, Pink are too big to sub the Pyramid? Bigger than all the acts I just mentioned?

With all due respect, ...

Pete Holmes GIFs | Tenor

Also FWIW, on the LDR vs O-Rod thing, I never said it's based on only having albums out. Go back and read my comment again. LDR has had six NUMBER ONE albums in the UK compared to O-Rod having one. The Spotters plays thing was the only thing I could find in a 5-minute search that supported O-Rod being near LDR in terms of stature.

45 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I agree that potentially one could step up if there's no other options, but any from Dave, O-Rod, LDR, Fender, Pink would be firmly in the Foals category of "Are they big enough or have enough of a wide appeal?" You could argue that bands like Metallica/GnR don't have wide appeal, but they're in that God-tier of bands where it doesn't really matter if they have wide enough appeal because they're just so big.

My other point was refuting the idea that while Dave, O-Rod, Fender, Pink are being touted as potential headliners, there's a lot of examples of similar acts, or even bigger acts, accepting sub or lower slots. Can you explain why O-Rod, Dave, Fender, Pink couldn't be subs or lower, when this year we had Lil Nas X (who is huge), Lizzo (also huge), last year we had Lorde (previously touted as a potential headliner), Noel/Oasis Karaoke (massive in UK), Doja Cat (who dropped out but was huge), and in 2019 there was George Ezra who has been touted as a potential headliner, not to mention Shakira and Katy Perry - two massive pop stars who were at the height of their popularity yet only played third down. 

But for some reason, O-Rod, Dave, Fender, Pink are too big to sub the Pyramid? Bigger than all the acts I just mentioned?

Pete Holmes GIFs | Tenor

Also FWIW, on the LDR vs O-Rod thing, I never said it's based on only having albums out. Go back and read my comment again. LDR has had six NUMBER ONE albums in the UK compared to O-Rod having one. The Spotters plays thing was the only thing I could find in a 5-minute search that supported O-Rod being near LDR in terms of stature.

If you think Dave could play lower than a sub at Glastonbury then you clearly don't know much about him.

14 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If you think Dave could play lower than a sub at Glastonbury then you clearly don't know much about him.

So, Dave is bigger than Lizzo, Noel/Oasis Karaoke, Lorde, Katy Perry, Shakira, Lil Nas X, Doja Cat, George Ezra?

Because he's had a popular song this summer. A song he co-wrote with four other people. Okay...

You could at least try and make me understand instead of just calling me ignorant 🤷‍♂️ Plus, I never said that Dave would play lower than sub, all I said bigger acts have played lower, so it's not unrealistic that he plays as sub.

56 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Pete Holmes GIFs | Tenor

It doesn’t make any sense to you because

A) You’re working really hard drawing all these comparisons and pulling up metrics to try and apply scientific and mathematical criteria to something that doesn’t have any running through it. It often comes down to whether one person thinks a particular act is a headliner and she’s usually right. I’ve seen others do this before and it’s driven them round the bend. 

B) You’re lumping together four acts of different stature that play different types of music. I can’t stand Pink and I really like Fender, but she’s a stadium act so she would headline. Easy.

Fender *could* maybe still find himself stuck at Foals level if his third album bombs, or he never actually releases it which looks a possibility at this stage.

Rodrigo would be a very big sub or a headliner that’s a bit of a gamble but one where by next June they look like they’re bang on the money.

Dave would be a phenomenally huge sub. It may just be down to the intangibles-what age group mix they have with the other headliners or that he’s a British rapper who’s broken through, but he’s headliner level to me.  Saying ‘Act A subbed so why can’t Act B’ doesn’t change that opinion or really matter all that much.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

So, Dave is bigger than Lizzo, Noel/Oasis Karaoke, Lorde, Katy Perry, Shakira, Lil Nas X, Doja Cat, George Ezra?

Because he's had a popular song this summer. A song he co-wrote with four other people. Okay...

If you've taken the time to research that Sprinter has 4 writers then you must know that he's had a lot more success than just that one song. He was already headliner level before that was released.

Also

Can you explain why O-Rod, Dave, Fender, Pink couldn't be subs or lower

You could at least try and make me understand instead of just calling me ignorant 🤷‍♂️ Plus, I never said that Dave would play lower than sub, all I said bigger acts have played lower, so it's not unrealistic that he plays as sub.

Because how 'big' (big of course meaning lots of different things to different people) an act is, is only one aspect of how likely someone is to be booked as a headliner of Glastonbury festival.

Charlie Puth and James Arthur have 40 million monthly spotify listeners and we would all eat our metaphorical hats if either of them were the 2024 Glastonbury headliner.

Just talking about Dave specifically he ticks many boxes which makes him a suitable headliner;

-Commercial success

-Critical success

-History with the festival playing a set that had a moment (alex on stage) which hit the mainstream.

-Enough albums/songs to fill a headliner slot

-Publicly outspoken personality who's views fit in with the ethos of the festival

-Young/fresh act who has never headlined before

-Would want to do it / not demand a fee Glastonbury wont be willing to pay

-Realistically the only British person in his genre that comes close to ticking all of the above

Edited by JonSnow