Download 2024

FeverDream

Saw QOTSA at Manc Arena last night. If they play that setlist the way they played it last night, they are gonna go down like a lead balloon at Download. I'm a big fan of QOTSA but just didn't find myself having that good of a time. They sound great but there are so many hits missing from their setlist that it took away from the experience, and the pacing was all sorts of off. 3 fairly tame tracks from the last ten years followed by one you could sort of dance/mosh to. Just seemed to keep cutting their momentum off over and over again. 

If they swallow their pride they could smash it, but Homme doesn't have the best track record of that. 

1 hour ago, Gejonimo said:

Saw QOTSA at Manc Arena last night. If they play that setlist the way they played it last night, they are gonna go down like a lead balloon at Download. I'm a big fan of QOTSA but just didn't find myself having that good of a time. They sound great but there are so many hits missing from their setlist that it took away from the experience, and the pacing was all sorts of off. 3 fairly tame tracks from the last ten years followed by one you could sort of dance/mosh to. Just seemed to keep cutting their momentum off over and over again. 

If they swallow their pride they could smash it, but Homme doesn't have the best track record of that. 

Setlist looks overall fine to me. No Feel Good Hit or Lost Art but can’t have em all I suppose. My biggest gripe is that I just didn’t find their new album very good so that stretch of songs mid-set would lose me a little, but apart from that they played most of the big hitters you’d want from them.

That said, I can’t see them blowing a Download audience away. Download people want big ridiculous metal shows with tons of energy and chances to go nuts and Queens don’t really deliver on that. A great overall live band, but one that I think might fall a little flat with the usual attendees. 

1 hour ago, Gejonimo said:

Their setlist was packed with bangers what do you mean 

Bangers on record sure, but live they fall flat. All of their new stuff falls flat, anything from the last ten years doesn't get anyone moving. And the ordering was bizarre, momentum was killed any time it got going.

No Lost Art, Feel Good Hit, Chemistry, Millionaire, Regular John and others. First It Giveth is rarely played but was an ace surprise. I was in the front third of the floor and people around us moved to maybe 3 or 4 songs, and none of them were close to each other in the set. Muddy field, headlining the first night of Download, I think they're going to have to turn it up a notch. Four of us went, all had the exact same opinion and didn't discuss during the set, only after. 

2 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

This but the opposite. The Way You Used To Do got lots of people moving. How are you not dancing to songs like If I Had A Tail and Time and Place? We were moving all night apart from Headache. Also, even if it is the case that people didn't mosh, that isn't a requirement for a headliner. Do people really mosh to Tool or Def Leppard?

• Like 1

Smooth Sailing has got such a groove to it live. I'm hearing polar opposites about the show though from last night? Either it's one of the all-timers, or it was flat as a pancake.

Let's have a crack...

1 Regular John
2 Go with the Flow
3 Feel Good Hit of the Summer
4 Paper Machete
5 Smooth Sailing
6 You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, but I Feel Like a Millionaire
7 The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
8 Carnavoyeur
9 Sick, Sick, Sick
10 If I Had a Tail
11 The Way You Used to Do
12 Negative Space
13 Make It Wit Chu
14 My God Is the Sun
15 No One Knows

16 Emotion Sickness
17 Little Sister
18 A Song for the Dead

• Like 1

Seen QOTSA a bunch over the years (right back to the early tours with Lanegan). Their set at Pinkpop in June was one of the best I've ever seen from them. I'm not sure why so many Downloaders are unhappy.

From the Kyuss days through to Lanegan of Screaming Trees and his connection to the Grunge scene (and close friendship and writing with Cobain), also Josh role as a producer and legendary musicians partaking like Troy, Grohl et al. And simply crafting a legendary sound and tunes / albums which stand the test of time - a solid argument exists that they are a major part of this genres heritage.

To me, the festival has to box off a headline set at Donington from them (as Copping has suggested himself previously… and he knows what he’s doing right?). The timing is perfect and likely won’t fall as fortuitously again. The band line up is musically the best it’s been in recent years with Troy, Mikey, Theodore and co, arguably the only time it’s peaked since the Lanegan, Castillo, Oliveri days. The new album has been well received critically and in sales. Big selling tours and a closing set at Glasto (up against Elton John) getting really positive reviews. Had to be done.

It’ll be exciting to see. The Leeds and Reading headline set was superb in 2014 (so, they have proven they can do it). I've always admired the festivals willingness to take a punt on people (MCR in 07, Feeder, Biffy Clyro etc) and such bands chuck the kitchen sink at it.

People in the Download scene cry out for new headliners and a pipeline of bands stepping up, then they moan that things are changing or it’s not their taste haha. They can’t have it both ways. QOTSA will smash it.

Dave Grohl himself has recently assessed QOTSA live… https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vRBDGJCgJaU

14 hours ago, willsmith700 said:

Seen QOTSA a bunch over the years (right back to the early tours with Lanegan). Their set at Pinkpop in June was one of the best I've ever seen from them. I'm not sure why so many Downloaders are unhappy.

From the Kyuss days through to Lanegan of Screaming Trees and his connection to the Grunge scene (and close friendship and writing with Cobain), also Josh role as a producer and legendary musicians partaking like Troy, Grohl et al. And simply crafting a legendary sound and tunes / albums which stand the test of time - a solid argument exists that they are a major part of this genres heritage.

To me, the festival has to box off a headline set at Donington from them (as Copping has suggested himself previously… and he knows what he’s doing right?). The timing is perfect and likely won’t fall as fortuitously again. The band line up is musically the best it’s been in recent years with Troy, Mikey, Theodore and co, arguably the only time it’s peaked since the Lanegan, Castillo, Oliveri days. The new album has been well received critically and in sales. Big selling tours and a closing set at Glasto (up against Elton John) getting really positive reviews. Had to be done.

It’ll be exciting to see. The Leeds and Reading headline set was superb in 2014 (so, they have proven they can do it). I've always admired the festivals willingness to take a punt on people (MCR in 07, Feeder, Biffy Clyro etc) and such bands chuck the kitchen sink at it.

People in the Download scene cry out for new headliners and a pipeline of bands stepping up, then they moan that things are changing or it’s not their taste haha. They can’t have it both ways. QOTSA will smash it.

Dave Grohl himself has recently assessed QOTSA live… https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vRBDGJCgJaU

To be fair, I think the main complaints have been about Fall out Boy rather than QOTSA

Went to see Queens of the Stone Age at the O2 last night, had a seat in the gods. There was a lot more movement on the floor for some of the newer material than some of the earlier stuff. It seemed the floor got a lot looser from Smooth Sailing, considering there were a couple of old cuts up beforehand. The trio of Songs for the Deaf song encore had the whole floor moving mind. 

I thought they were great, they're clearly having a ball performing at the minute and that really adds to the show.

They're a great headliner for Download. I think fans will love the show as they'll be expecting a 50% 2013 onwards set, however I see the argument that stereotypical Download casuals who are probably more familiar with the first few QOTSA records may come away complaining in June. 

Edited by huntyyy

It fascinates me because, I'd argue, the smallest draw on paper is Avenged Sevenfold. But as former headliners and the only true "metal" headliner of the bunch, they arguably feel like the major draw for traditionalist punters.

Fall Out Boy shifted their arena tour like hot cakes, but they are probably the band who may feel like they have the most naysayers to disprove.

Love From the Other Side
The Phoenix
Sugar, We're Goin' Down
Hum Hallelujah
Uma Thurman
A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me"
Beat It
This Aint' a Scene, It's an Arms Race
9 Heaven, Iowa
10 Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy
11 The Last of the Real Ones
12 Fake Out
13 I Don't Care
14 Dance, Dance
15 Hold Me Like a Grudge
16 My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light 'Em Up)
17 Thnks fr th Mmrs
18 Centuries
19 Saturday

FOB will get the biggest crowd of the weekend I think, they will also get the longest set time given. I think they will be offered a 2 hour set and I think they will put on the best show of the weekend. Tbh I think all three headliners are great live bands and put on great shows, compared to some previous DL headliners that just stand on stage play their stuff and walk off… 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, callum97 said:

They played for 2 hours at the O2 and played 29 songs 

I could be merrily pedantic and point out they did 105 minutes and 115 minutes respectively, but I will concede that point. I remember catching them on their tours behind Save Rock and Roll and American Beauty / American Psycho and them turning around on the hour-and-a-half mark, maybe with an extra five minutes here and there.

Regardless, they played ninety when they last topped Reading and Leeds. Comparatively, I can't see them getting longer than that here, maybe ninety-five at a push. If Slipknot only got the latter - as Download royalty - I don't think Fall Out Boy are getting a full two hours.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:48 AM, rivalschools.price said:

To be fair, I think the main complaints have been about Fall out Boy rather than QOTSA

The Facebook socials seem to suggest otherwise, to me - baffling all the same. I've observed Download become much more corporate and sanitised over the years, but the audience (purely anecdotally) always seemed to have a veneer of open mindedness and inclusivity about it. Evidently, that has finally been crushed. Liquid Death (Punk Nestle) now sponsoring it, is quite fitting really haha!