2024 Festival

Chad888

Just now, northernangel said:

Its not about their peak though, it's more just a collective set of bands I'd have seen. Reading though will book a lot of acts i won't see too which is fine because they will book for a demographic way out of my sync.

It’s sad that’s there’s such a paucity of acts to at have stepped up to that proper big sustainable level since though

I don’t even know what the equivalent of Blink, Muse, Foo Fighters, Eminem and etc would been 20 years back from 2004

1984? 🤷 nope, not a clue. 

Metallica? simple Minds? Genesis? The Clash? Def Leppard? The Police?

Not too bad I guess, bar Metallica and The Clash, they’d have prob all been bottled off in 2004

just thought I could actually see who played then, through the power of the internet

Turns out 84 was cancelled, it wa side to be headlined by

Hawkwind/ Jethro Tull/ Marillion

Was a bit of a different fest then but I wouldn’t have been able to name a single song my any of them in 2004…

23 minutes ago, Benj said:

It’s sad that’s there’s such a paucity of acts to at have stepped up to that proper big sustainable level since though

I don’t even know what the equivalent of Blink, Muse, Foo Fighters, Eminem and etc would been 20 years back from 2004

Not too bad I guess, bar Metallica and The Clash, they’d have prob all been bottled off in 2004

just thought I could actually see who played then, through the power of the internet

Was a bit of a different fest then but I wouldn’t have been able to name a single song my any of them in 2004…

To be honest being born is 86, unless it was my era etc then I wouldn't have named a song. I do like 80s bands but artists maybe that are more mainstream like Bowie that everyone knows 

8 hours ago, Benj said:

Festival should undoubtedly book Simple Minds.

I'm thinking across the weekend stages we will get the following acts that all have new albums coming this year:-

Gaslight Anthem, Pinkpantheress, Meek Mill, Danny Brown, Bob Vylan, Declan Mckenna, Idles, Yard Act, The Struts, Frank Carter Rattlesnakes, Paloma Faith, Sum 41 (below Blink), Kid Laori.

Left field headliner - Nicki Minaj on the MSW. She has won 7 of the last 11 MTV Best Hip Hop awards. Eminem holds the record 9 wins. She has a new album coming out in a few weeks too.

51 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I'm thinking across the weekend stages we will get the following acts that all have new albums coming this year:-

Gaslight Anthem, Pinkpantheress, Meek Mill, Danny Brown, Bob Vylan, Declan Mckenna, Idles, Yard Act, The Struts, Frank Carter Rattlesnakes, Paloma Faith, Sum 41 (below Blink), Kid Laori.

Left field headliner - Nicki Minaj on the MSW. She has won 7 of the last 11 MTV Best Hip Hop awards. Eminem holds the record 9 wins. She has a new album coming out in a few weeks too.

Awards means nothing. But you know what does? Tickets sales. Nicki Minaj sells out every arena she plays and sold out Wireless which she headlined. She’s as solid a MSE sized artist as you can name but she just won’t play at all. 

Paloma Faith? Jesus Christ, you’ve sunk to new lows. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Awards means nothing. But you know what does? Tickets sales. Nicki Minaj sells out every arena she plays and sold out Wireless which she headlined. She’s as solid a MSE sized artist as you can name but she just won’t play at all. 

Paloma Faith? Jesus Christ, you’ve sunk to new lows. 

Nicki Minaj sells crazy amounts of her own tickets to dedicated fans, and Wireless which is tailored to that fan demographic.

This is a different boat, would her fans want to sit through an undercard of The Wombats, Raye, The Lathums, The Snuts, Maddison Beer, Vistas? She isn't going to sell to the people that watch her dedicated shows because there is nothing they like in that. Thus I'd think she would be put on MSW like Megan the Stallion kind of position.

Paloma Faith has a new album coming out, isn't such a name as she used to be, perfect for that late afternoon Jazz-pop voice filled by Mimi Webb, Joy Crookes, Griff, Sigrid in the last few years...

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Festival should undoubtedly book Simple Minds.

It is interesting how that era of bands was completely dismissed by the audience that followed the next generation.

Must be a good few gems lost

2 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Blink-182
Yungblud
Ashnikko
Turnstile
Pale Waves
The Story So Far

Something like that for the Blink day maybe? Would be worth a day ticket for me.

Won't be so catered towards a specific genre, but could see all of these popping up somewhere across the weekend for sure.

21 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I fully understand the concept of DJs headlining at festivals, but those festivals that are Dance oriented. People go to Creamfields to listen to dance music and rave.

That has never been what R&L has been about, acts come on stage and put on a performance with stage presence. I look at Fred Agains Glastobury performance and its a guy stood behind some decks up top, pre-recorded music plays, and a video in the background rolls with the songs being sung.

Thats the kind of act that would have been bottled off the stage 20 years ago.

I can watch music videos at home. I can listen to pre-recorded music at home without paying £400 plus the other £400 spending money, without having to look at some guy sitting behind a computer nodding his head.

Screenshot_20231025-180734_YouTube.jpg

Cheers for that Chad, i'm sure Melvin is reading this as i type and has taken your concern and will not book the hottest act of the summer for the festival's core audience due to your concern

Disclosure have done it twice before, with other dance acts previously getting big slots. Its only a matter of time before he headlines

1 hour ago, TKOCF said:

Didn’t see how big the crowd for The 1975 was at Leeds due to being quite close to the front but Bicep was easily the biggest crowd MSW got this year. Way bigger than Foals and Imagine Dragons that’s for sure.

Didn’t see Bicep but The 1975 had a very healthy crowd, the biggest MSW I saw by a long way. Space to walk around but busy right back to the food vans at Leeds.

Adding to the Nicki Minaj chat, she's also rumoured for BST Hyde Park - no concrete info though currently. Think tour news is coming next month as the album has been delayed to December (presumably because of 1989 TV), so that should hopefully give an idea of where abouts she will be performing next year.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It will be fascinating, in a way, to see The 1975 age out of the festival, if they do.

But then, I imagine there will be another genre sea change in the next decade or so.

For how good they are, and how they've been a lot of peoples favourites across the 3 shows they headlined, are they timeless classics that can headline in 20 years? I think they'll age quite well, like will they be this generations Arctic Monkeys?

42 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

For how good they are, and how they've been a lot of peoples favourites across the 3 shows they headlined, are they timeless classics that can headline in 20 years? I think they'll age quite well, like will they be this generations Arctic Monkeys?

I think they will stand the test of time because they’ve got quite a timeless sound as it is. A lot of their material sounds like it could have been released at any point between the late 80s and present day which I think will do them some favours. 

Edited by Andre91

44 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

They will stick around but think this generation's AM is a push. Not that i can suggest a much better option mind you

They are a kind of different audience to AM - they haven't got 'the lads' onboard like AM or say LG from the generation before

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

They will stick around but think this generation's AM is a push. Not that i can suggest a much better option mind you

They are a kind of different audience to AM - they haven't got 'the lads' onboard like AM or say LG from the generation before

Sam Fender is probably the torchbearer for that crowd now. Gerry Cinnamon was able to tide them over for a few years.