2024 Festival

Chad888

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s no different. People go and see Enter Shikari and know all the words to whatever new album they’re touring. 

This argument is stupid. Ticket sales are the biggest thing that matters. End of story. 

In your heyday, you reach 20,000 people and 90% like your music, that's 18,000.

15 years later and your music is in the palm of 1,000,000 peoples hand, and only 5% like it, that is still 50,000.

I'd argue that band is far worse and more unpopular because 95% of people hate them, compared to the 10% previously. They have more exposure though, but that doesn't equal bigger.

Bigger is putting out a bigger album, more acclaimed, more sales, picking up more fans off the latest stuff.

Not living off new kids picking up your music from 17 years ago and enjoying it.

51 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s no different. People go and see Enter Shikari and know all the words to whatever new album they’re touring. 

This argument is stupid. Ticket sales are the biggest thing that matters. End of story. 

It is stupid yes as you've completed turned everything back to Enter Shikari again as you have to argument on The Wombats whole thing you started.

People go and see a band they've paid to see and know the words to a said album, well shocker horror!

Yes they are but you're being very naive to think that reunion hype does not sell extra tickets vs they are suddenly a bigger band. The difference is, isn't does not make a band bigger because a reunion was massive.

There are bands I would like to see, just because they made a comeback meaning there is a lot of interest to them being away from the scene, doesn't make them bigger. The Libertines for example made a comeback and were topping things for a few years. After that hype they because just another standard band just about getting medium sized festivals slots. Their reunion was big, we are talking about bands that are already huge and did those tours before breaking up.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Alright then. The Wombats sell more tickets than they ever have done. That makes them a bigger band than they were in 2008 when people initially gave a sh*t about them. 

No one has ever given a sh*t about the Wombats

Actually thats harsh, everyone has always liked the Wombats

I'd say theyre the exception that proves the rule in that peaked circa whenever but have then slowly chipped away saying, no we haven't actually peaked, we're gonna slowly charm all those pricks who thought we were a bit too...on the nose...and in the end everyone will like us.

Come 2073, the Wombats will be the biggest band to have ever existed. At that point, given population increase, they will sell out Milton Keynes. As in the whole city. BIGGEST BAND EVER

3 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Just throwing in chart positions

4 (2007)

1 (2023)

They are bigger now for sure. Showing a video of a crowd behaving like absolute dickheads doesnt change anything, crowds have changed alot, crowd surfing (aka being a dickhead) isnt so much a thing anymore.

A. If youre trying to promote Enter Shikari here they 100% instigated it and it was a properly amazing exprience/ sight... Crowd surfing should always be expected at proper rock gigs, its what youre there for, not to sway nicely to all the greatest hits. And I say this as someone who's had a number of DMs to the bonce (hmmmm maybe thats why Im saying it 🤔)

B. If you're trying to bring record sales into things, then you're completely barking up the wrong tree re- the bigness thing

Wow they got a number 1 album in 202Xwhenever, theyre as big as THE REYTONS and THE LATHUMS and Inhaler.

They have 600,000 Spotify listeners globally.

I love them (although not as much as 2009), they were deffo better in 2010

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 8.56.29 PM.png

8 hours ago, Chad888 said:

15 years later and your music is in the palm of 1,000,000 peoples hand, and only 5% like it, that is still 50,000.

I'd argue that band is far worse and more unpopular because 95% of people hate them, compared to the 10% previously. They have more exposure though, but that doesn't equal bigger.

Bigger is putting out a bigger album, more acclaimed, more sales, picking up more fans off the latest stuff.

Not living off new kids picking up your music from 17 years ago and enjoying it.

This is some serious Steiner maths. 

4252D6FA-9B28-421A-8E2B-FF768A9719E3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I'm sure Nickelback much preferred reaching 1 million people, 900k of which loved them (90%) when How You Remind Me was released, as opposed to now having 1 billion people who know them and only 1 million fans who like them (0.1%) and 99.9% of people hate them. They were definitely bigger back then.

Things like Spotify listeners can be inflated by one song being big at the moment and in playlists. I'd say the best metric for how 'big' a band is, is how many people they actually get in venues. Shikari just headlined Slam Dunk and are now on an arena tour in Feb. I'd say thats better than just playing academies from 09-15. They have more money to spend on bigger production. Maybe we should judge how big bands are by how much pyro they have during a show.

50 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

I'm sure Nickelback much preferred reaching 1 million people, 900k of which loved them (90%) when How You Remind Me was released, as opposed to now having 1 billion people who know them and only 1 million fans who like them (0.1%) and 99.9% of people hate them. They were definitely bigger back then.

Things like Spotify listeners can be inflated by one song being big at the moment and in playlists. I'd say the best metric for how 'big' a band is, is how many people they actually get in venues. Shikari just headlined Slam Dunk and are now on an arena tour in Feb. I'd say thats better than just playing academies from 09-15. They have more money to spend on bigger production. Maybe we should judge how big bands are by how much pyro they have during a show.

Shikari have up and down for years switching between arena and academy dates. They aren't at arena point for Manchester though and it's £40+ a ticket with a little inflation for London. By these days standards it's arenas at Academy prices probably because it's cheaper to do so. Fully arena bands are charging much more.

8 hours ago, Benj said:

No one has ever given a sh*t about the Wombats

Actually thats harsh, everyone has always liked the Wombats

I'd say theyre the exception that proves the rule in that peaked circa whenever but have then slowly chipped away saying, no we haven't actually peaked, we're gonna slowly charm all those pricks who thought we were a bit too...on the nose...and in the end everyone will like us.

Come 2073, the Wombats will be the biggest band to have ever existed. At that point, given population increase, they will sell out Milton Keynes. As in the whole city. BIGGEST BAND EVER

That are the indie band that have stood the test of time. 

On 10/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, charlierc said:

We saw how the Easy Life thread very quickly turned into the ethics of flying rather than the East Group's insistence that it was their way or the highway. Maybe it's just who we are.

We ain’t as bad as the Glastonbury threads, they talk about everything under the sun apart from the actual festival

Seeing friends stories of Blink-182 last night it looks like the crowds are there for sure for them.

Paramore have a big R/L shaped hole in their supporting Swift tour.

Travis Scott tour ends this December, so next year will be on the festival circuit

Fall Out Boy are touring a new album in UK early next year

Doja Cat's Scartlet Tour will end in December and female representation is the big craze.

I guess I'm feeling Tyler the Creator to round off the chilled hip hop emo vibe on a cheap booking.

Doja Cat > Paramore

Fall Out Boy > Travis Scott

Tyler the Creator > Blink-182

Subs:

Playboi Carti - Yungblood - Bombay Bicycle Club

Rex Orange County - Wombats - Little Simz 

Dance:

Peggy Gou - Sub Focus - Fat Boy Slim

1xtra:

Ghetts - Fredo - Badboy Chiller Crew

12 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Doja Cat > Paramore

I think all three of those would need to be swapped around. I'll be the first to say my finger is nowhere near the pulse, but is TTC bigger than Blink-182 on reunion singalong hype mode right now?

On 10/13/2023 at 5:16 PM, northernangel said:

Cardiff is very small for an arena and way out the way then a North and South venue of 10k.

Just a note on this its worth considering how many people live near Cardiff vs say London or a northern city (usually have a few cities very near to the main one)

Only 3 million people live in Wales (many of whom are in the north so would go to manchester/liverpool instead) plus maybe 1 million close to the border in Bristol and its suburbs.

Many much larger bands still only do a single night there

14 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Seeing friends stories of Blink-182 last night it looks like the crowds are there for sure for them.

Paramore have a big R/L shaped hole in their supporting Swift tour.

Travis Scott tour ends this December, so next year will be on the festival circuit

Fall Out Boy are touring a new album in UK early next year

Doja Cat's Scartlet Tour will end in December and female representation is the big craze.

I guess I'm feeling Tyler the Creator to round off the chilled hip hop emo vibe on a cheap booking.

Doja Cat > Paramore

Subs:

Playboi Carti - Yungblood - Bombay Bicycle Club

Rex Orange County - Wombats - Little Simz 

Dance:

Peggy Gou - Sub Focus - Fat Boy Slim

1xtra:

Ghetts - Fredo - Badboy Chiller Crew

Giving all the indie market share to superstruct in one go then lol. we don't need Paramore, FOB and Blink 182 in one year

Those dance headliners are too big based off recent years i think

BBCC in 1xtra would be mental

This prediction on headliners alone bucks all trends and just doesn't make sense

6 minutes ago, Dukey said:

When we were young B2B Wireless Festival 

haha

1 hour ago, wghennessy said:

Yungblud will be there. I can see post malone aswell. What are BMTH up to?

Yungblud under Paramore or Blink-182 would work quite nicely. 

I can’t see BMTH returning after 2 years, tbh. As much as I’d love it! Looks like they’re doing early summer EU festivals with Rock for People and Hurricane/Southside already announced for them.

Edit: noticed they did Southside/Hurricane in 2022… but this time they’re headlining it, so I think my logic stands re. not doing R&L after 2 years.

Edited by FeverDream

2 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Would love to see Bring Me back, but I suspect their next move will be doing their own festival show, currently about to do some Asia dates branded as “NEX_FEST”, so could see that over here either this summer or next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wghennessy said:

All assumptions based on tidbits i've heard from a source, plus my own assumptions...

BMTH won't when they only did it 2 years ago and haven't brought out anything new since. (my assumption)

It will be Post Malone or Travis Scott as the Saturday/Reading : Sunday/Leeds, both touring new albums, both highly regarded by festival bookers.

Yungblood will be under Blink-182 because it makes sense, his next steps then will be MSW and then MSE.

Paramore will be there, but MSE or MSW I don't know.

We will get one of Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, QOTSA on MSW Saturday against the rap headliner.

I think an AJ Tracy will be another they try to bump up to main stage, because it opens the pool up a bit for future bookings, as the older acts all drop off. I also reckon they will get a dance act like Fred Again to headline. Lewis Capaldi could be booked again if he's feeling better.

Edited by Chad888

1 hour ago, Crews1 said:

Would love to see Bring Me back, but I suspect their next move will be doing their own festival show, currently about to do some Asia dates branded as “NEX_FEST”, so could see that over here either this summer or next year.

Yeah this is what I’m thinking, a date in June. Maybe in Sheffield somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

All assumptions based on tidbits i've heard from a source, plus my own assumptions...

BMTH won't when they only did it 2 years ago and haven't brought out anything new since. (my assumption)

It will be Post Malone or Travis Scott as the Saturday/Reading : Sunday/Leeds, both touring new albums, both highly regarded by festival bookers.

Yungblood will be under Blink-182 because it makes sense, his next steps then will be MSW and then MSE.

Paramore will be there, but MSE or MSW I don't know.

We will get one of Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, QOTSA on MSW Saturday against the rap headliner.

I think an AJ Tracy will be another they try to bump up to main stage, because it opens the pool up a bit for future bookings, as the older acts all drop off. I also reckon they will get a dance act like Fred Again to headline. Lewis Capaldi could be booked again if he's feeling better.

I’ve got similar feelings. 

I’m thinking the headliners will be;

Doja Cat - Post Malone - Blink-182
Royal Blood - Kasabian - Fred Again

Covers all ground and genres, think it’d be very well received and then you could have Yungblud subbing Blink.