Replacement for EE app

Nick Spicer

Hey everyone I have been working on an app to replace the EE app for next year and would love to get your feedback: https://unofficialglasto.co.uk/

The app can:

• Show you the current Glastonbury year map and your current location
  • Show all line ups by day
  • Favourite artists, find clashes and filter based on favourites and artists playing soon
  • Create food stall listings and food reviews
  • Add friends, see what artists they have favourited and filter based on their favourites

The next tasks are:

• Make sure everything is as offline as possible for when the internet connection is terrible
  • Draw lines over the existing map to allow routing between acts and potentially avoid crowd crushes

If there are any features you would place higher than these I would love to know!

The food section is behind a £5 one off paywall but I am planning to give away the first 100 licenses for free so if you would like to play around, sign up with your email then send me a DM and I will make you a member.

Cheers,

Nick

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Spicer said:

He

• Draw lines over the existing map to allow routing between acts and potentially avoid crowd crushes

thats likely to create new crowding issues by routing everyone the same way.

1 minute ago, leath02 said:

Dont know how possible it is - but could have an 'On near-by' section - ie whats on right now on the closest stages to you

Why would food section be behind a paywall?

I'd ideally like someway to make money and start working for myself instead of a company and this has the added benefit that stalls can't game the system by creating loads of fake reviews with different accounts!

1 minute ago, Nick Spicer said:

I'd ideally like someway to make money and start working for myself instead of a company and this has the added benefit that stalls can't game the system by creating loads of fake reviews with different accounts!

have you asked any traders to see if they will pay ? 

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

have you asked permission from the site owner before posting this and promoting a business on here ? this hasnt replaced the EE app has it as thats still available  ... 

Yeah I should clarify this is my project and website and is something I wanted to build since using the EE app last year and finding it lackluster, I can't find a way to edit the topic title but I guess it should have said "alternative" rather than "replacement".

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

have you asked any traders to see if they will pay ? 

Yeah there are a couple of traders I need to talk to that's next on my list to see if the cost can be offloaded onto traders instead from what I hear there is a lot of appetite to have something traders can list and promote their business from at the festival!

Yeah I should clarify this is my project and website and is something I wanted to build since using the EE app last year and finding it lackluster, I can't find a way to edit the topic title but I guess it should have said "alternative" rather than "replacement".

so the point of difference between the EE app and your website is the  food bit which sits behind a paywall ? ....  

Yeah there are a couple of traders I need to talk to that's next on my list to see if the cost can be offloaded onto traders instead from what I hear there is a lot of appetite to have something traders can list and promote their business from at the festival!

traders have massive queues mostly ... not quite sure why anyone would feel the need to pay ? n

5 minutes ago, Nick Spicer said:

good luck with trying to get traders to open their wallets many refuse to pay for their stalls, we tried that with original festival official website, using glasto's traders contact data, and had very few takers.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Does the current EE app require an internet connection? (I've never used it).

Not to just view like your premade clashfinder, but obviously can't get a set alert without internet etc

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not to just view like your premade clashfinder, but obviously can't get a set alert without internet etc

You can't? That's a huge and totally unnecessary design flaw.

My view is still that the best option is that once you've been through Clashfinder or whatever, export it to your regular (Google/Apple) calendar. Clean as it's designed to integrate with the phone, can choose whether and how each category notifies you, and once synced works offline.

I’m not sure if the map is actually the intellectual property of GFL. I know that they are very protective of their brand and will issue cease and desist notices to anyone using their material without permission. 

Not meaning to put a downer on the project and I hope you manage to find something to set up a business with 

22 minutes ago, tarw said:

I’m not sure if the map is actually the intellectual property of GFL. I know that they are very protective of their brand and will issue cease and desist notices to anyone using their material without permission. 

Not meaning to put a downer on the project and I hope you manage to find something to set up a business with 

That's good to know thanks I'll try to get in contact with them and see what the situation is. With the map georefrenced already it's not a long stretch to manually trace the lines and stages after that anyway but I do like the look of their map!

No matter how good the app turns out, you'll still be competing with an 'official app' and the amount of marketing/promotion that offers... The problems I see are, people won't see past the EE app to find your app and it doesn't really do anything new that I'd find interesting.

4 hours ago, incident said:

You can't? That's a huge and totally unnecessary design flaw.

My view is still that the best option is that once you've been through Clashfinder or whatever, export it to your regular (Google/Apple) calendar. Clean as it's designed to integrate with the phone, can choose whether and how each category notifies you, and once synced works offline.

Hang on, I think "set alert" means something like SecretGlasto - news and updates, not reminders.

• Like 1

It's a good idea mate, fair play for making it. Sure there are some issues but it's a decent project that, some solid coding gone into it. What sort of things have you used to make it?

I'm only an occasional reader here, but there are far too many who love to put people down on this place, as it's always been. Keep going with it, it's a decent little project.

Love the idea of a 'what's on nearby' section as someone above mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hang on, I think "set alert" means something like SecretGlasto - news and updates, not reminders.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Still, I can't honestly say I've used the EE app at the Festival in years and don't feel like I've missed out any. The usual routine is that I'll install it when it gets released to see if this years version has improved any - then realise it hasn't (and in some years has actually got worse), and remove it within a couple hours.

10 hours ago, EamerRed said:

It's a good idea mate, fair play for making it. Sure there are some issues but it's a decent project that, some solid coding gone into it. What sort of things have you used to make it?

I'm only an occasional reader here, but there are far too many who love to put people down on this place, as it's always been. Keep going with it, it's a decent little project.

Love the idea of a 'what's on nearby' section as someone above mentioned.

Appreciate it! Yeah I mean fair enough I think people just don't like to feel like they're being sold to but gotta get the word out somehow! 

The tech stack is Postgres/C#/React my day job is working as a full stack web developer so I've had a lot of time to hone what I'd like to use for side projects.

I was hesitant to go down the route of drawing on the map but gets lots of similar requests so think i'll create pins for each stage and hopefully get the distance to each act based on where you are thanks for the feedback. 😄