2023 Wishlist

Nick07

4 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Supersonic Fest is the same weekend as Eotr . It's normally June / July 

Last year Eotr had 3 acts that played Supersonic 

Would that mean more cross-over if they're the same weekend? (so hopefully a good thing, if that's a good festival to be drawing from, don't know)

2 hours ago, robith said:

Anyone else got a bit of fear that the line up may be a little bit underpowered? Feels like every rumour we have is "Green Man" or "not in the country". I trust the bookers to deliver on the under card, and tbh 2021 was one of my favourite years despite seeing a record low number of acts, so not hugely bothered, just a vibe I have

I hope not - I know people for whom it was their first time last year and they loved it and talked us into going with them this year 🙂  Always difficult to keep returning to a festival and for it to remain great - looking forward to my first time - but it does seem amazing how many people seem to love returning to EotR.

3 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Would that mean more cross-over if they're the same weekend? (so hopefully a good thing, if that's a good festival to be drawing from, don't know)

I hope not - I know people for whom it was their first time last year and they loved it and talked us into going with them this year 🙂  Always difficult to keep returning to a festival and for it to remain great - looking forward to my first time - but it does seem amazing how many people seem to love returning to EotR.

Supersonic is more experimental . But over the years they've had a plenty of bands turn up at eotr that have played Supersonic  

1 hour ago, bobbyperu said:

personally hoping that Self Esteem play this year although they may be winding down to record new stuff after the forthcoming tour which is I think the third lap of the U.K. for the last album. Think they’d make a great garden stage headliner 

She/they is/are around but headlining Standon Calling (slightly larger capacity, run by the son of a viscount on the family estate) and subbing Pulp at Neighbourhood, so if they did play they'd most likely be headliners.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, domjon said:

Yeah fair enough, I was thinking B & S had headlined the garden last time tbf, I missed that year.

St Vincent has headlined the woods 3 times mind hasn't she?

And of course Beirut would have been a repeat headliner in 2019 but pulled out. So - Fleet Foxes, St Vincent, Joanna Newsom, Beirut, Yo La Tengo, Conor Oberst in two forms - I don’t think a repeat headliner can necessarily be excluded.

8 hours ago, robith said:

Could be coloured by my experience last year, but the fest feels on a bit of a downward slope scale wise, and certainly can't live with Green Man's financial clout and security

I agree. Each one I've been to hasn't felt as good as the previous edition. That doesn't mean it's been bad but I have the same feeling about a downward trend from a very high peak. Very much hoping this year's line-up makes me rethink that!

Edited by JHad

On 1/25/2023 at 11:10 PM, Punksnotdead said:

This is my dream booking, ahead of any other band in the world!

Saw them at Sheffield Leadmill this week, a magnificent night, but I'm not a fan of reunions (though Delgados seem to be doing it for the fun rather than the pension) and nostalgia acts at EOTR. Prefer Emma Pollock solo.

For the avoidance of doubt as my post has been slightly misinterpreted, I didn't say that the festival was downscaling, more that the scope of the top end of the bill seems a bit diminished - but in the context of a very difficult period for live events. Looking at bookings and who is around feels like the top of the bill could be a bit more low key again. I don't necessarily see it as a problem, cos it's a lovely place with great strength in depth that I love going to. 

Just my two pence.

But yeah, most pressingly get the toilets back to scratch! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robith said:

the scope of the top end of the bill seems a bit diminished - but in the context of a very difficult period for live events. Looking at bookings and who is around feels like the top of the bill could be a bit more low key again. 

I tell you what, if people are hailing the return of the Walkmen, you’re not wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I tell you what, if people are hailing the return of the Walkmen, you’re not wrong. 

Not hailing their return at all, not even a fan. Just wondering where they might play. Would be a pretty underwhelming headliner I think but wouldn't put it past EOTR putting them on the Woods, particularly on the Thursday. Garden more likely though, surely?

27 minutes ago, RustySpanner said:

So, Walkmen nailed on.

Where do we think? Garden headline? Thursday Woods?

Thing is, before this I had them down as another of those acts who'd be around for Green Man rather than EOTR, as they've previously been announced for Paredes de Coura that same weekend, also having played EOTR twice and not GM - and you'd think if they were around then they'd be playing Strokes day APE.

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Thing is, before this I had them down as another of those acts who'd be around for Green Man rather than EOTR, as they've previously been announced for Paredes de Coura that same weekend, also having played EOTR twice and not GM - and you'd think if they were around then they'd be playing Strokes day APE.

The paperwork getting back into Uk might make that tight