All Points East 2023

gfa

Was front central for Strokes, I thought they were great. I had had a few Dark and Stormies though. I don't really see how you can fault the setlist, that's a very odd criticism. 

Also saw The Walkmen - good, Warmduscher - ace, Girl in Red - good but so many pissed up lads talking/shouting through it. 

Tried for Yeah Yeah Yeahs but was difficult to get anywhere near and then get out for a decent position for the Strokes, I don't know anything about sound stage positioning but they seem to just render half the area irrelevant. 

Queued for cocktails but not too bad. Annoying queue for dumplings because card machine went kaput. Food options were generally disappointing, I swear there was some more exciting vegan stands before, but perhaps I thinking of Field Day of old. 

17 hours ago, gregory said:

@Biz33kindly transferred me a Strokes ticket but traffic is sh*t and not sure I can get there and in by 8 (which is when entry has to be by according to the ticket), so happy to transfer on to someone else if anyone’s keen. PM me. If not I will just chance it / watch from the skate park as per my original plan 🙂 

Hope you made it!

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I had been intrigued but not by enough as I felt that the sound for The Strokes (and several stages in general) was rubbish at APE in 2019. I see that's not changed, or at least, bad for one side of the stage during The Strokes' set.

They have very strict noise restrictions

——

honestly not got much time for people complaining about sound. Its annoying sure - but APE has been going for 5 years you know what your getting, just move into the crowd. Everyone near me was having a blast near 2nd barrier on the right - we had a fair bit of room too!

not as good as last time but a good show regardless!

13 hours ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I haven't seen the strokes since the second album tour but my god this is sh*t. Is this what they've been like for the past fifteen years?

Good sets by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Warmduscher, Picture Parlour and Be Your Own Pet saved the day but my god what a pile of steaming sh*t the strokes are these days. 

Hadn't seen them since 2011 co-headlining Leeds with Pulp and Pulp blew them off the stage then.

12 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I thought it was great. Sound was shite to the right of the stage. Don't think we can blame that on the band. Move centrally, it sounded good no matter how far back you moved in my experience. 

Julian talked shite as usual but the setlist was excellent IMO. Last Nite three songs in, the mega fans got Ode to the Mets, they found time for Reptilia, Someday etc too. 

I went in with low expectations (I'm a huge fan but they've got a ropey rep at the best of times) but I thought they were good. 

Amyl & the Sniffers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Walkmen were brilliant. 

I don't know how in the set length they have they can play a bad setlist personally. I do generally like to stand on the outer point now though so I can imagine this having been a damp show.

12 hours ago, BlackFoxx said:

Sound was bad on the right for me too, but got better when I moved back centrally. Yeah Yeah Yeahs highlight of the day for me, but also good sets by Amyl and the Sniffers (complete with downpour), Angel Olsen and the Walkmen. 

I really can't be doinf with standing in anymore downpours for bands so glad I didn't go. I tried to get a cheapie from Twickets but in reality I offered well below what they probably would take.

27 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Was front central for Strokes, I thought they were great. I had had a few Dark and Stormies though. I don't really see how you can fault the setlist, that's a very odd criticism. 

Also saw The Walkmen - good, Warmduscher - ace, Girl in Red - good but so many pissed up lads talking/shouting through it. 

Tried for Yeah Yeah Yeahs but was difficult to get anywhere near and then get out for a decent position for the Strokes, I don't know anything about sound stage positioning but they seem to just render half the area irrelevant. 

Queued for cocktails but not too bad. Annoying queue for dumplings because card machine went kaput. Food options were generally disappointing, I swear there was some more exciting vegan stands before, but perhaps I thinking of Field Day of old. 

Unfortunately Girl in Red isn't what what a load of pissed up lads want to see.

7 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Hadn't seen them since 2011 co-headlining Leeds with Pulp and Pulp blew them off the stage then.

That main stage run of Strokes-Pulp-National-Jimmy Eat World-Madness-Two Door reads like something I'd have enjoyed had I had the money to do a full weekend at Reading 2011. Shame.

Cracking day. Watched Lazy Eyes (big tame impala / pond vibes), Walkmen, Amyl, YYYs and Strokes. Ended up with a poor spot for Strokes as didn’t want to miss end of YYYs but that was always gonna be the case so only myself to blame.

was a bit underwhelmed with Strokes but had seen some setlists in advance and noticed they seem to have completely dropped a couple of my favs from all live shows this year, so was expecting that. My poor positioning didn’t help. They still played a decent number of big hits though and sound seemed ok where I was even of view was a bit pants . Far from a disaster I thought .

YYYS we’re great. Was a bit annoying the screen pics were slightly pixelated though - less of that in future please ha 

Agree with less inspiring or diverse food choices than I remember in years past - couldn't find a sushi role place that had good veggie/vegan options previously. Only thing I had yesterday was a vegan hogless roast burger with hash browns, but that was really good and would recommend to anyone going over this weekend

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

——

honestly not got much time for people complaining about sound. Its annoying sure - but APE has been going for 5 years you know what your getting, just move into the crowd. Everyone near me was having a blast near 2nd barrier on the right - we had a fair bit of room too!

London park venues have quite strict restrictions in general right? I don't particularly like Finsbury Park or Hyde Park as I feel their sound is never quite as full-on as other venues. Maybe my earplugs exacerbate that though.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

London park venues have quite strict restrictions in general right? I don't particularly like Finsbury Park or Hyde Park as I feel their sound is never quite as full-on as other venues. Maybe my earplugs exacerbate that though.

Always regret going to any Hyde Park thing tbh, as the sound is always terrible - I get why.  Always thought sound at APE/Field Day was better than that, but it might be my proximity bias as I just walk along the canal to get to Vicky Park

3 minutes ago, BlackFoxx said:

Agree with less inspiring or diverse food choices than I remember in years past - couldn't find a sushi role place that had good veggie/vegan options previously. Only thing I had yesterday was a vegan hogless roast burger with hash browns, but that was really good and would recommend to anyone going over this weekend

Was it pulled jackfruit?

I enjoyed it. YYY smashed it and once we moved forward the sound for The Strokes was much better. Seemed to be more of a loudness issue this time as opposed to 2019 when the sound quality was terrible. Girl in red and Angel Olsen on the same stage were much louder so really didn't make sense why the sound was so quiet. 

58 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Yeah, I get that, so do something else 🤷‍♀️

I agree. But lads will buy a ticket for ome band and spend the day drinking there because they cantbe arsed to love. I honestly can't see many strokes fans even liking yyys but maybe I'm wrong there.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

That main stage run of Strokes-Pulp-National-Jimmy Eat World-Madness-Two Door reads like something I'd have enjoyed had I had the money to do a full weekend at Reading 2011. Shame.

Strangely on lineup, it was a year we were least looking forward to, the rain certainly didn't help that. I saw pigeon, seasick steve, tdcc, jew, pulp and the strokes. The National nor Madness are my thing. JEW weren't at their best.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Yup

APE has the 11pm curfew at least. APE is particularly bad i think because of just how close it is to houses. Hyde and Finsbury are much ‘deeper’ vs ape literally next to a road (with houses on the opposite side). Bet it would look awesome from one of those flats

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Hope you made it!

——

Absolute nonsense comment on people not having a right to complain about poor sound.

There were no excuses, the sound on the East Stage was great, you could here wherever you stood. By the time I walked across to the West Stage for Strokes you are left with stood on the outer or further back.  I stood in three different places and while it did get better, you could still hear people talking which was louder than the music, that should not be happening at a music festival.