All Points East 2023

gfa

1 hour ago, collectivisedfarming said:

Very odd reading of my post. 

I wrote that the stage is a waste of time (poor sound, barely ever well attended, lights don't really achieve anything in daylight etc). I make no comment on the acts on it. Plenty I'd like to see there actually but the venue puts me off. 

Fair enough - i was a bit baffled

I reckon it will be quite busy on Friday given what they've put on it - the libertines one will be pretty big i think given the lack of lads lads lads music on the strokes day

First time coming for APE this year

Mile End the best tube stop to go to on both the way there and after its done (assuming the tube still runs at that time).

Whats the capacity like? Will it be a pain trying to get served at the bars?

Any decent boozers in and around the park for a couple of beers before we head in?

9 minutes ago, Tamzaghi said:

Mile End the best tube stop to go to on both the way there and after its done (assuming the tube still runs at that time).

Any decent boozers in and around the park for a couple of beers before we head in?

I've always done Bethnal Green but understand Mile End is a good shout as well. 

Capacity/bar queues vary massively depending on the individual show. I've been to some APE days where it's been so undersold that everything has been a breeze. When it's sold out or almost so (like The Strokes last time) then there can be some queues. I think Jungle/Dermot/Haim will be very quiet.

Most of the time, queues for the can bars are almost non-existent. There's one pint bar which gets busy on indie/6music type days but is dead on dance/pop/hip hop days. 

I've not been to any of the pubs in the area but there's one on the corner before the park which always looks popular.

59 minutes ago, Tamzaghi said:

Where's your hotel / which main line train station is your train home from?

Mile End has the central line night tube so theres no rush

43 minutes ago, gfa said:

Where's your hotel / which main line train station is your train home from?

Mile End has the central line night tube so theres no rush

Hotel is Aldgate-ish area so was going to walk to/from Liverpool Street to get the tube out to Mile End.

Good to know there is no rush if there is a night tube. What time are the pubs open afterwards? If Tube is busy to begin with happy to have a pint or two and wait on the queues to die down.

14 minutes ago, Tamzaghi said:

Hotel is Aldgate-ish area so was going to walk to/from Liverpool Street to get the tube out to Mile End.

Good to know there is no rush if there is a night tube. What time are the pubs open afterwards? If Tube is busy to begin with happy to have a pint or two and wait on the queues to die down.

If I was you I'd just walk from the hotel to the park, if you are comfortable walking. It's less than an hr's walk and the areas are fine to walk in, just stick to main roads of feeling nervous 🙂

8 minutes ago, dumbsaints said:

If I was you I'd just walk from the hotel to the park, if you are comfortable walking. It's less than an hr's walk and the areas are fine to walk in, just stick to main roads of feeling nervous 🙂

No issues walking through potentially rougher areas (I walk through some of the less salubrious area's of Glasgow on a semi-regular basis), but my main issue will be getting my wife to agree to the walk!

Seems like there is a few options so all good.

14 minutes ago, Tamzaghi said:

No issues walking through potentially rougher areas (I walk through some of the less salubrious area's of Glasgow on a semi-regular basis), but my main issue will be getting my wife to agree to the walk!

Seems like there is a few options so all good.

Ahh 🙂

Depending where you will be in Aldgate, the walking you'll do to Liverpool Street and then from Mile End might be same as 60-70% of the walking you'd do if you walked all the way. There's also buses worth checking those, they might be more door to door 🙂

16 minutes ago, joe501 said:

Could anyone please have a go at estimating walking times between East & West stages?

Also PSA that the set times on the Clashfinder are wrong (for Strokes day at least) 

5 to 10 min depending on crowds and their movement, and whether you mean front or back of the crowds

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

Most of the time, queues for the can bars are almost non-existent. There's one pint bar which gets busy on indie/6music type days but is dead on dance/pop/hip hop days. 

Not this year... all can bars, except the one to right of main stage.  Queues for all were pretty small all day at Field Day.

1 hour ago, Tamzaghi said:

Its worth checking pubs nearby and figuring out which you want to go to - few will be open after 1am i'd imagine but all should be open till midnight really.

Queue will go within about 30 minutes i'd have thought.

The number 8 bus might be a shout, especially for the way there as it should be very quick and drops you right outside

Hi 

Haven't been to a gig for ages thanks to the joy of becoming a parent. Last time I was on this site was about 18 years ago discussing the looting of a beer truck at the Leeds Festival.  Loved the Strokes and YYY's back in the day. I'm looking at buying a VIP garden ticket but can you see the stage from there?  Or do you need a VIP and pit for that?  And tier 1 and 2  - what's the difference?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, TWkiwi said:

Hi 

Haven't been to a gig for ages thanks to the joy of becoming a parent. Last time I was on this site was about 18 years ago discussing the looting of a beer truck at the Leeds Festival.  Loved the Strokes and YYY's back in the day. I'm looking at buying a VIP garden ticket but can you see the stage from there?  Or do you need a VIP and pit for that?  And tier 1 and 2  - what's the difference?

Thanks

Tier 1 and Tier 2 is just release of tickets, so earlier you get them there might be a slight discount

On VIP, the garden is behind the stage and is just an area with bars and other food - there's no benefit inside the actual festival. You'll need the pit for the East stage to get a better view. 

Also worth saying that YYYs are on the West stage and theres no VIP pit there. 

Dont think it's worth doubling the price personally, but I've only been on quiet days so far so might have a different opinion after going on Friday. 

36 minutes ago, mynameismatt said:

Tier 1 and Tier 2 is just release of tickets, so earlier you get them there might be a slight discount

On VIP, the garden is behind the stage and is just an area with bars and other food - there's no benefit inside the actual festival. You'll need the pit for the East stage to get a better view. 

Also worth saying that YYYs are on the West stage and theres no VIP pit there. 

Dont think it's worth doubling the price personally, but I've only been on quiet days so far so might have a different opinion after going on Friday. 

Thanks for the info. I was confused looking at the map regarding VIP as it is behind the stage.  So if I buy a VIP ticket and want to see the YYY's, does that mean walking through thousands of people to get to that stage and then doing the same to get back?  

57 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Good evening! Can anyone tell me what the searching is like upon entry? I'd hate to think there's people having a really good, responsible time at APE, so I'm just checking if the security are doing their jobs properly...any dogs or huge body searches?

Tia

Interested in this too.. from booze, and namely spirits in my person, perspective 

10 hours ago, TWkiwi said:

So if I buy a VIP ticket and want to see the YYY's, does that mean walking through thousands of people to get to that stage and then doing the same to get back?  

Yes, exactly that. The VIP viewing area is only for The East Stage, and the VIP Garden is behind the East Stage. The East Stage is the main stage that The Strokes will be playing on.

There are no special VIP areas for any of the other stages, including The West Stage that YYYs are playing on.

The walk across will be easy. It won't be like trying to move between stages at Glastonbury. But you would want to get there a fair bit before YYYs come on if you want to guarantee being down the front.

13 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Good evening! Can anyone tell me what the searching is like upon entry? I'd hate to think there's people having a really good, responsible time at APE, so I'm just checking if the security are doing their jobs properly...any dogs or huge body searches?

Tia

There were dogs at the Nick Cave gig last year, which seemed a bit like overkill...

16 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

There were dogs at the Nick Cave gig last year, which seemed a bit like overkill...

Dogs at loads of events this year, more often than not for outdoors, and for Pulp at Sheffield Arena. Wands also, plus very light bag checks, and only a few pat downs. I suspect they think it's quicker than comprehensive bag checks.

13 hours ago, TWkiwi said:

Thanks for the info. I was confused looking at the map regarding VIP as it is behind the stage.  So if I buy a VIP ticket and want to see the YYY's, does that mean walking through thousands of people to get to that stage and then doing the same to get back?  

You'd want to get to YYYs early and watch in general pit till the end - knowing with vip you can walk down the left hand side (facing stage) for the strokes and get in the vip pit with no issues