Taylor swift

brettredmayne

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

She is really leaning into the swearing now 

I won’t spoil the line but one made me legitimately laugh out loud in the office.

On my second listen and yeah, it’s landing big time with me. Already picked up stuff I missed first time round after the first three tracks.

I’m dipping in and out and saving myself for the full release - but I thought I’d chime in on the Lover (from the vault) comments.

I don’t think it’s a false assertion, but we do know that Taylor writes songs for previously albums, shelves them, and may work them into a new release. I think Karma was written for reputation and a few here were probably written for Lover.

There’s nothing wrong with it. I think Radiohead and Prince do/did the same thing. 

I absolutely loved her work on folklore / evermore - but with her return to mega touring etc I think pressure is on for her to deliver some pop bangers

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

9/10 on second listen. A lack of "claret" away from 10s.

I'm struggling with your comment you haven't heard 1989 or Reputation!  You actually have never listened to them?

What a treat you have in store if that is the case - my 2 favourites and both stacked full of bangers

1 hour ago, willd255 said:

Interesting - wish I felt same way! It mostly sounds like covered ground to me. 

Vigilante shit is a fresh sound for her, to be fair, but I'm getting quite bored of other pop stars trying and failing to do the Billie Eilish thing well

Just goes to show that BE is more influential and talented at what she does than people give her credit for. 

It reminds me a bit of when EVERYONE was slating Lana early on in her career… only for most pop stars to start producing albums heavily inspired by her.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m dipping in and out and saving myself for the full release - but I thought I’d chime in on the Lover (from the vault) comments.

I don’t think it’s a false assertion, but we do know that Taylor writes songs for previously albums, shelves them, and may work them into a new release. I think Karma was written for reputation and a few here were probably written for Lover.

There’s nothing wrong with it. I think Radiohead and Prince do/did the same thing. 

I absolutely loved her work on folklore / evermore - but with her return to mega touring etc I think pressure is on for her to deliver some pop bangers

Could be incorrect but didn't Taylor specifically clarify this week that the album is completely new material. Maybe she said this ahead of time anticipating the comparisons to Lover etc coming up in discussion post release. 

Just now, PGTIps said:

Could be incorrect but didn't Taylor specifically clarify this week that the album is completely new material. Maybe she said this ahead of time anticipating the comparisons to Lover etc coming up in discussion post release. 

Yeah but she would say that wouldn’t she..

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I'm struggling with your comment you haven't heard 1989 or Reputation!  You actually have never listened to them?

What a treat you have in store if that is the case - my 2 favourites and both stacked full of bangers

I guess I will have heard the singles, but not the albums no.

Folklore was the first Taylor record I listened to, then I went back to Lover after Evermore. Then I read about all the TVs thing and listened to Red and Fearless when they came out so I thought I'd just wait for the rest, as a treat yes.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I guess I will have heard the singles, but not the albums no.

Folklore was the first Taylor record I listened to, then I went back to Lover after Evermore. Then I read about all the TVs thing and listened to Red and Fearless when they came out so I thought I'd just wait for the rest, as a treat yes.

I don't think I would have your self restraint

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PGTIps said:

The quote was actually quite confusing. it's ideas she's had in the past and has been playing with for a while but new material.

I still think this is an album of vault tracks and the surprise announcement at 3am is that she's regained her masters.  so no new Taylors Versions and no more vaults to look forward but with a documentary about the re-recording process and trying to get back her masters.

Edited by GeezLouise

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

100% nothing wrong with using leftover material. My point was more that the album sounds like a collection of b-sides (in terms of quality). There's some that sound like Lover and some that sound like Reputation. Just none as good as on those actual records imo

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Perhaps some will laugh but I am absolutely loving this.

I always a had a bit of a soft spot for Reputation Taylor… and I liked the direction with Lover (but felt it could be grittier).

So a slightly grittier Lover is right up my street really…

Reputation Taylor > Lover Taylor

1 hour ago, jparx said:

There's some major zingers in here. Need that vinyl and to sit and comb through the lyrics.

People absolutely should adjust their expectations going in, though. It's definitely the most mellow recorded she's done outside of Folklore/Evermore.

This doesnt sound encouraging… Was/am hoping for a Stevie Nickx-alike affair… So no pop bangers again?

Just now, lighthouse said:

This doesnt sound encouraging… Was/am hoping for a Stevie Nickx-alike affair… So no pop bangers again?

There’s a few pop bangers for my money (without getting in that debate again) but the Stevie rumours were clearly BS (unlike that’s how the songs sound played acoustically, which we may see on the tour).

It’s sounds like a mix of 1989/rep/Lover with elements of Lorde/Billie production thrown in. 

Just now, jparx said:

There’s a few pop bangers for my money (without getting in that debate again) but the Stevie rumours were clearly BS (unlike that’s how the songs sound played acoustically, which we may see on the tour).

It’s sounds like a mix of 1989/rep/Lover with elements of Lorde/Billie production thrown in. 

Reputation was awful so hopefully there’s not too much of that.

Just listened to AM’s new one and that’s a stone cold classic.