Green Man 2023

March Hare

Yes looking quite likely as they're also at Szget and Oya prior to GM.

No headliners jumping out yet apart from Jamie XX.  Iggy Pop an outside bet perhaps. 

Electric Picnic (1-3 Sep): Amyl & The Sniffers 

Canela Party (23-26 Aug): Les Savy Fav, Crack Cloud, Nilufer Yanya, Tropical Fuck Storm, Shame, Osees. 

Pstereo (18-19 Aug): Aurora, Protomartyr 

Szget (10-15 Aug) : Jamie XX, Moderat, Amyl and the Sniffers, The Comet is Coming, Los Bitchos, Kelly Lee Owens, Mall Grab

We Out Here (10-14 Aug): Could in theory see anyone on the line up at GM (e.g. Black Midi, Sun Ra Arkestra, Cymande, Makaya McCraven, Wu-Lu, Moin etc.)

Oya (8-12 Aug): Amyl and The Sniffers

Off Festival (4-6 Aug): Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, Off!, Melody's Echo Chambers, The Staples Jr. Singers, Gilla Band, Tropical Fuck Storm, Haru Nemuri and Big Joanie. 

All Together Now (4-6 Aug): Jamie XX, Iggy Pop, Lankum, Kelly Lee Owens, Daniel Avery

6 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Yes looking quite likely as they're also at Szget and Oya prior to GM.

No headliners jumping out yet apart from Jamie XX.  Iggy Pop an outside bet perhaps. 

Electric Picnic (1-3 Sep): Amyl & The Sniffers 

Canela Party (23-26 Aug): Les Savy Fav, Crack Cloud, Nilufer Yanya, Tropical Fuck Storm, Shame, Osees. 

Pstereo (18-19 Aug): Aurora, Protomartyr 

Szget (10-15 Aug) : Jamie XX, Moderat, Amyl and the Sniffers, The Comet is Coming, Los Bitchos, Kelly Lee Owens, Mall Grab

We Out Here (10-14 Aug): Could in theory see anyone on the line up at GM (e.g. Black Midi, Sun Ra Arkestra, Cymande, Makaya McCraven, Wu-Lu, Moin etc.)

Oya (8-12 Aug): Amyl and The Sniffers

Off Festival (4-6 Aug): Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, Off!, Melody's Echo Chambers, The Staples Jr. Singers, Gilla Band, Tropical Fuck Storm, Haru Nemuri and Big Joanie. 

All Together Now (4-6 Aug): Jamie XX, Iggy Pop, Lankum, Kelly Lee Owens, Daniel Avery

No Aurora at Green Man this year

9 hours ago, collectivisedfarming said:

Is John Cale, considering he's touring and got a new album, an unrealistic headliner?

I think he would be a good shout for a prominent slot but I’m not sure he’d headline.  He did EOTR a few years back and I think he was second down on the second stage, so headlining seems like quite a big jump.  He last played GM and long time ago so quite difficult to place him.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Only really excited about the prospect of Sonic Boom/Panda bear. Other names have been on the circuit enough the past couple of years.

I think this is possibly what's making a lot of the announced lineups this year look a bit underwhelming – some of the acts doing the rounds next year are now on their second or even third full year of touring festivals, and there's not a huge amount of fresh names to keep it exciting for whatever reason.

It's not something I've really seen discussed much but there just seems to be a real lack of "churn" compared to pre-pandemic festivals. From a booking perspective festivals seem to be perfectly OK booking stuff now without an artist being on an album cycle now, which is obviously much better for the artists but not great for punters (and potentially not good for sales).

Green Man can get away with it because it's sold out already, but I suspect there's going to be loads of names on there that we'll have had the opportunity to see multiple times elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think this is possibly what's making a lot of the announced lineups this year look a bit underwhelming – some of the acts doing the rounds next year are now on their second or even third full year of touring festivals, and there's not a huge amount of fresh names to keep it exciting for whatever reason.

It's not something I've really seen discussed much but there just seems to be a real lack of "churn" compared to pre-pandemic festivals. From a booking perspective festivals seem to be perfectly OK booking stuff now without an artist being on an album cycle now, which is obviously much better for the artists but not great for punters (and potentially not good for sales).

Green Man can get away with it because it's sold out already, but I suspect there's going to be loads of names on there that we'll have had the opportunity to see multiple times elsewhere.

think you're totally right. I don't mind artists not on album cycles but sometimes it feels like it's the same names year on year and it's looking very stale.

Really hoping for GM debuts from Alvvays and Weyes Blood this year.  Then a handful of acts on the experimental side (e.g. Laurie Anderson, Mabe Fratti and Marina Herlop) and some non-anglophone artists.  Then if they can somehow get Simz, Pavement and Sigur Ros as headliners, they can have all the repeat bookings they’d like! 

10 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Finally saw BCNR post-Issac this evening at Bush Hall.  Thought it was pretty average tbh and a bit disappointing.  Think I saw @JHad in the crowd but didn’t spot you afterwards, hope you enjoyed! 

Yeah, I spotted you too, @lessthanwill1, just as they came on stage. You were a bit in front of me leaving and I didn't catch up to you. @benali was there too, bit we didn't manage to catch up either!

Fair enough, I can understand that opinion. I was underwhelmed the first time I saw the new set in the spring and I've wildly fluctuated since. 

For me, GM was the best (my favourite ever live set, as I'm sure I told you repeatedly in my GM buzz!) and last night and Thursday night were the next best technically, although they lacked a little of the emotion of the GM set. The matinée was really poor IMO, both sound wise and with the mistakes they made, but they stepped it up in the evening and it was obvious they were very pleased to get close to perfect takes of a few tracks, namely Turbines/Pigs.

I'm intrigued as to what is next as they've played these same 8 tracks at all of the shows this year, sometimes with the addition of Geese. I assume they'll be writing more material over the next couple of months now there is a break from touring, and then this love album will be out in the first half of 2023.