Sziget 2023

#1SzigetFan

29 minutes ago, activean said:

On Friday, or are Placebo huge in France? 

Yeah maybe you are right. I was looking at the fact that Placebo seem to be the same size billing as the rest of the headliners but so is Chemical Brothers and they are subbing… so yeah.

But which big rock headliner hasn’t announce yet and expected to tour?

5 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Yeah maybe you are right. I was looking at the fact that Placebo seem to be the same size billing as the rest of the headliners but so is Chemical Brothers and they are subbing… so yeah.

But which big rock headliner hasn’t announce yet and expected to tour?

I wonder if Blink 182 could do it. Start an EU tour on Sep 1st… no Hungary date either. 

1 hour ago, activean said:

On Friday, or are Placebo huge in France? 

They can also announce an extra day for the Thursday, August 24.

It's weird that they have Billie Eilish on Wednesday 23, then Thursday is free and afterwards the festival resumes on Friday for 3 days.

Last year they announced a lineup for 5 days. But they still had an empty day though (and RATM cancelled due to band member illness):

RockEnSeine-lineup-news.jpg

Edited by #1SzigetFan

I think they headlined in 2014, which I think already a stretch, but at this point they haven’t put out a single relevant song in 20 years.

The way Sziget chooses headliners now… I just don’t see it. I could be wrong and they could maybe sub, but I don’t see how they would headline such a big festival.

Edited by Akujin

6 minutes ago, Akujin said:

I think they headlined in 2014, which I think already a stretch, but at this point they haven’t put out a single relevant song in 20 years.

The way Sziget chooses headliners now… I just don’t see it. I could be wrong and they could maybe sub, but I don’t see how they would headline such a big festival.

They are headlining Lollapalooza(s) Brasil, Argentina, Chile and Estereo Picnic tho, and I don't think those are small festivals 😶

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ReljaGajić said:

They are headlining Lollapalooza(s) Brasil, Argentina, Chile and Estereo Picnic tho, and I don't think those are small festivals 😶

Honestly. That is mindblowing to me. Maybe it’s just in my head but they have always been about the size of The Offspring to me, and they are not even close headlining in the festivals I saw this year. 

Btw I say this as someone who actually enjoys their music (from 20 years ago), but I cannot fathom how they are supposed to be this relevant in 2023.

42 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Honestly. That is mindblowing to me. Maybe it’s just in my head but they have always been about the size of The Offspring to me, and they are not even close headlining in the festivals I saw this year. 

Btw I say this as someone who actually enjoys their music (from 20 years ago), but I cannot fathom how they are supposed to be this relevant in 2023.

Right now, relevancy comes from their reunion + the fact that poppunk is slowly making it's way back to the mainstream, and they're kind of godfathers of that scene.

It's a little bit like Green Day, they're my all time favourite band, but they haven't released any successful, or - by their standards - decent record in almost 15, yes, FIFTEEN years. They arent supposed to be relevant in 2023. And yet, they're still considered to be a huge headliner, and they always will be one until they exist, no matter what they've been up to recently. The amount of hits they've created between 1994 and 2009, and the fact that they're probably the best live band on this planet cements them in the headline spot of any festival ever. And you'll see some artists who also don't need to be super active to remain an attractive name that sells tickets. 

Edit: just so I don't have double post I'll add this here.
Do you people see any chance for Placebo turning up at Sziget? They're playing at a French festival on the 12th, they'll also play in Rock en Seine in France on the 25th of August. Is there a chance that they'll leave France for that 12-ish days and do festivals that far away?
Edit 8754432455: Foals are doing Istanbul during the same two festivals, sooo....

Edited by kristofm
  • Upvote 1

It's also possible that Sziget and Rock en Seine won't share a huge headliner from the next announcement. I guess that a big act would have requested to have both announcements also at the same hour and not only on the same day.

Sziget will announce the names first and Rock en Seine 2 hours later.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

48 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Another rock band that is touring is Paramore. They're in the UK & Ireland in spring, then they go back to the US to perform there until August 2 and they don't have anything scheduled afterwards.

I've hoped for them from the very start, so would be very happy if it were them. Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moran said:

I mean.. after research paramore do have a song called turn it off, maybe it's the 👎💡 clue

It's a long stretch but I would love to see them

It's Girl in red. Thats it. Not Paramore, not The Weeknd ( + I don't see the link between "BLINDING lights" and " 👎💡" ). Even Nelly Furtado with "turn off the light" would make more sense.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, ReljaGajić said:

They're not headlining Estereo Picnic, 21 pilots took their place but it's only because the drumer has a problem with his left hand so they will be postponed to the nexr edition. 

Edited by pompirus