Volunteering 2023

neil93

10 minutes ago, chestwig said:

Sorry to be really stupid. But what page checker can I use?

This one is great, got me a Glastonbury ticket in old secret sales and Oxfam place a different year, it checks every 5 seconds. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 15.53.59.png

Am I missing something with these page monitors? I can understand how if say a secret sale on Glasto happened you'd get a notification, but not sure how on this Oxfam page you would as the only thing that changes is in the drop down box but the page always looks the same as you have to manually select that drop down box?

2 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

Am I missing something with these page monitors? I can understand how if say a secret sale on Glasto happened you'd get a notification, but not sure how on this Oxfam page you would as the only thing that changes is in the drop down box but the page always looks the same as you have to manually select that drop down box?

In simple terms, the page monitors read the source code of the page, and can see what will be in the drop down box, when you drop it down. 

14 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

The code of the page has the content of the drop down box in it so set you page monitor to read the relevant part of that code.

The issue i'm having is that I log in via the page monitor with username and password, set what I want to monitor but then I seem to get logged out of my Oxfam account via the app and then the lookup doesn't work - so I get an alert saying all the text has been removed and then the page checker doesn't notice any changes. It seems as though my account doesn't continue to stay open via the session I opened via the app and the CAPTCHA is thwarting the app getting through to open my account on the webpage. Any idea how to get round that?

Edited by Johnnyseven

I was lucky enough to secure an Oxfam spot yesterday, feeling very grateful.

Can anyone give me more details on what the shifts are like in terms of graft? I’ve worked at a couple festivals before but it was paid work on rammed bars which was absolutely exhausting. I’m assuming Oxfam is going to be a bit more chill with the challenge being boredom?

45 minutes ago, gordong said:

I was lucky enough to secure an Oxfam spot yesterday, feeling very grateful.

Can anyone give me more details on what the shifts are like in terms of graft? I’ve worked at a couple festivals before but it was paid work on rammed bars which was absolutely exhausting. I’m assuming Oxfam is going to be a bit more chill with the challenge being boredom?

3 x 8 hours. Used to be 1 early, 1 day, 1 night. I.e. 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am

They changed last year though as there was way more stewards. 

Most of the work in on the pedestrian gates checking tickets and directing people or vehicle gates. 

Easy work but on your feet standing around for 8 hours is a killer. Can drag when it's quiet. 

Best to volunteers for one of the busier jobs imho 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Havors said:

3 x 8 hours. Used to be 1 early, 1 day, 1 night. I.e. 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am

They changed last year though as there was way more stewards. 

Most of the work in on the pedestrian gates checking tickets and directing people or vehicle gates. 

Easy work but on your feet standing around for 8 hours is a killer. Can drag when it's quiet. 

Best to volunteers for one of the busier jobs imho 

Last year I was on a vehicle/pedestrian crossing on Wednesday afternoon which was really hard work in the heat and dust, but flew by & was kind of enjoyable watching everyone battle in with their stuff and giving them encouragement.
My morning and overnigh was at a vehicle gate on the far side of the site - over an hour to get there or back even with the minibus & unbelievably dull when we got there. I thought the night shift would never end!

Its hard but the perks of being on site early, having good camping faVilifies & crew bars are the upside.

That and actually being able to go! 

• Thanks 1

My first oxfam was 2019, I was on a vehicle/staff gate in the SE corner that was reasonably steady in terms of busyness, and went by pretty quickly. Last year I got the pre fest shifts and was at a different vehicle gate, which was locked - so for 24hrs I was telling people that a gate was locked and we couldn’t do anything about it 😆 it was mega quiet, but I’m pretty good at waiting things out so just cracked on. Don’t mind quiet or busy, give me a whatever and I’ll get on with it 

• Thanks 1

VG5/6 are always good fun at the top of the site. Where all vehicles / artists tour buses park etc. Back in 2017 met a fair few artists, Emily and her husband and others, was a cracking place to do my one and only volunteering Glasto (so far...)

5 hours ago, leej7 said:

Have built one myself with autofill. 

any chance  you could share how to set this up please?! 🙏

I can only get it to autofill two of the three tick boxes as glastonbury isnt selectable to bring up the third and also how to make it auto refresh if thats what you were doing?

Edited by golden egg

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

My first oxfam was 2019, I was on a vehicle/staff gate in the SE corner that was reasonably steady in terms of busyness, and went by pretty quickly. Last year I got the pre fest shifts and was at a different vehicle gate, which was locked - so for 24hrs I was telling people that a gate was locked and we couldn’t do anything about it 😆 it was mega quiet, but I’m pretty good at waiting things out so just cracked on. Don’t mind quiet or busy, give me a whatever and I’ll get on with it 

I had a similar gig at Bestival years back. I was basically a human sign for 8 hours. For me, that’s Oxfam at its worst and what I pray I don’t get!

I know people that have had that kind of position x 3 shifts on their first festival and never come back again! 

11 minutes ago, gordong said:

Cheers, appreciate the inputs! Assuming the worst and I am posted at some isolated gate…how strict are they about entertainment? Could I have one earplug in with an audiobook? Could I bring an actual book?

It depends on your supervisor but they do like us to be looking lively Tbf. 
I love Glastonbury, and I love that Oxfam is now a regular way in for me, but I think it might actually be the worst festival to work for Oxfam. There aren’t many, if any, others where the shifts are quite so dull! Lots of regular Oxfam stewards will do anything but Glastonbury! you get priority in future years by doing one other - I recommend it.

I was a supervisor on Stickleball gate last year. Basically in a different timezone and very very quite. Just security and traders working in sticklinch could come through. Worked with a mostly decent bunch of stewards (I know at least one's on here) but shifts did really drag. Tried to instill the idea that yes it's dull, yes it seems pointless, but it got you in to a festival that people are desperate to get into so just think of that. didn't always work, one couple cried off from their last shift. They told Oxfam they were ill and needed to go home. Maybe they were, who knows? Seemed mad to me though, to put up with two shifts and bail on the third but they spent the whole second shift (the overnight) moaning so maybe they just had hit their limit. I tend to have a bit of moan too at points but constantly moaning like that helps no one.

39 minutes ago, gordong said:

Cheers, appreciate the inputs! Assuming the worst and I am posted at some isolated gate…how strict are they about entertainment? Could I have one earplug in with an audiobook? Could I bring an actual book?

Done other Oxfam but not Glasto and have heard it's stricter than other fests. So will be interesting to see.

In general the rule for other fests is don't take the piss. Eg. Your 30 minute break can stretch to 40 if you're definitely in an overstaffed position but don't do that if you're ticket scanning the first day. 

41 minutes ago, gordong said:

Bit of a weird question, but does it still feel like you are at Glastonbury…as in does the work feel like just a part of the experience? Or does it feel like you are there working? If that makes sense. 

I’d say if you’re on a pedestrian gate you’ll very definitely feel part of it - especially on weds morning, everyone’s thrilled to be there and you’ll be a hero helping them get in. It’s more worky if you’re on a vehicle gate, but I find being a tiny wee cog in a bloody massive machine to be quite satisfying - finish your shift, take off your tabard and go have a sit down with a pint at the back of a set, and you can look round and think yeah, I helped this happen, if only a little bit 👍

Congratulations to whoever secured the Oxfam place that appeared at 6pm today! It's the first time my repeated refreshing paid off but still too slow.. and devastated to have buggered up by accidently leaving the page with "proceed" ready and waiting to go.

2020 and now 2023 are the first festivals I wanted to go to but have been unlucky securing tickets for (secretly wishing for more 2005/2007 washouts to stop it being so goddam popular!!).

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of volunteering again.. Last time I did it (through a friend) was in 2009 cleaning the backstage toilets which was one of the best times and the work was dead easy largely just restocking the toilet roll in between naps while the poo suckers did the really messy work. I remember one time drinking lots of spirits with a bunch of medics in their field with the boss was headlining in the background and I think I actually got paid for the privilege too. Fun times!! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gordong said:

Bit of a weird question, but does it still feel like you are at Glastonbury…as in does the work feel like just a part of the experience? Or does it feel like you are there working? If that makes sense. 

9 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I’d say if you’re on a pedestrian gate you’ll very definitely feel part of it - especially on weds morning, everyone’s thrilled to be there and you’ll be a hero helping them get in. It’s more worky if you’re on a vehicle gate, but I find being a tiny wee cog in a bloody massive machine to be quite satisfying - finish your shift, take off your tabard and go have a sit down with a pint at the back of a set, and you can look round and think yeah, I helped this happen, if only a little bit 👍

With me on the recycling crew I do feel part of the festival- not least when I was on early morning litter picking and you saw how clean the field was after you'd cleared it and you felt you were helping getting the site ready for the day.  I used to take before and after photos!

It can also feel like work in that I've obviously got to pick up litter or sort out bags in the recycling centre and I've had to set an alarm to get up for shifts and means I can't have too late a night.  But I'm happy with that in the main as I normally work with a good bunch of folk and time generally flies by.

• Upvote 2