Volunteering 2023

neil93

3 minutes ago, lazymagnet said:

yaaasssss sorted!! absolutely buzzing.

Congratulations!

Just checked and the sold out message is back on so well done anyone who got your way in.

I stupidly tried paying for the deposit for Shelter while at work in the office, and someone came over to speak to me, so I failed completing the page in time.  Fingers crossed for WaterAid!  Well done to everyone who managed to get a place. 

26 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

Might be a bit late for me to ask this now, since we just bagged a couple of shelter places in a bit of a blind panic - but does this work like Oxfam where you get your money back by completing your shifts?

Also...is there a way to buddy-up your shifts with a partner with Shelter?  

Yes you get your money back a few weeks after Glastonbury. You need to show up at all your shifts and you get signed off each time. There is a form to complete closer to the time when you can identify others you want to work with on the same shift. Might be a maximum of 6.

Edited by 4519dennis
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

Yes you get your money back a few weeks after Glastonbury. You need to show up at all your shifts and you get signed off each time. There is a form to complete closer to the time when I can identify others do you want to work with on the same shift. Might be a maximum of 6.

Where is the campsite for Shelter and can I camp with other (ticket holder) friends instead if I want? 

1 minute ago, 4519dennis said:

Yes you get your money back a few weeks after Glastonbury. You need to show up at all your shifts and you get signed off each time. There is a form to complete closer to the time when I can identify others do you want to work with on the same shift. Might be a maximum of 6.

Nice one! Thanks chap. It's only the wife and I, so would be a real bonus to be able to mirror shifts.

Now got to just let it sink in that after months of fretting, missing out on tickets, missing out on Oxfam - we ARE actually going! 

Just now, MichaelsBeard said:

Where is the campsite for Shelter and can I camp with other (ticket holder) friends instead if I want? 

(Officially) No you can't camp on the main site and the campsite is over Block 9 way. 

47 minutes ago, med said:

I stupidly tried paying for the deposit for Shelter while at work in the office, and someone came over to speak to me, so I failed completing the page in time.  Fingers crossed for WaterAid!  Well done to everyone who managed to get a place. 

I wasn't trying on this, but on at least one occasion in the past I've booked out a meeting room for spurious reasons, in order to concentrate on important Glastonbury related tasks. Other people are too much of a liability.

• Like 1

What a clown I am - I hadn't really understood the process and didn't know it was a scramble similar to the main ticket application, so I filled in my details and when I got to the bit where it said "Tick to confirm you've read the T&C's", I ACTUALLY DID!!!

After I'd skimmed them, I tried to get back to the payment page and was horrified to find the spinning symbol of death in it's place. Disaster

1 hour ago, med said:

Oh that sucks 😞 ! Remember: book yourself in a "meeting", work from home, or at worse pretend you have a stomach bug and head for the loo whenever there's a Glastonbury ticket/purchase/volunteer spot opportunity.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevie P-alike said:

What a clown I am - I hadn't really understood the process and didn't know it was a scramble similar to the main ticket application, so I filled in my details and when I got to the bit where it said "Tick to confirm you've read the T&C's", I ACTUALLY DID!!!

After I'd skimmed them, I tried to get back to the payment page and was horrified to find the spinning symbol of death in it's place. Disaster

Urgh...hard luck. I can't imagine you're the only one to fall in that trap. 
It does raise a good point though. If Shelter/Oxfam/Glasto etc know spaces will vanish in a matter of seconds/minutes, they can't seriously expect everyone to read the T&Cs at the point of payment. Maybe the small print could be sent out a day or so prior to the sale, so anyone who genuinely wants to read it through can do so without throwing their chances of getting a ticket in the bin.   

9 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

Urgh...hard luck. I can't imagine you're the only one to fall in that trap. 
It does raise a good point though. If Shelter/Oxfam/Glasto etc know spaces will vanish in a matter of seconds/minutes, they can't seriously expect everyone to read the T&Cs at the point of payment. Maybe the small print could be sent out a day or so prior to the sale, so anyone who genuinely wants to read it through can do so without throwing their chances of getting a ticket in the bin.   

When Oxfam went live, someone on the facebook group asked a question about what he'd signed up for and then several people questioned if he'd not read what he signed up for.  I helpfully pointed out that if he'd read every word on the page, he wouldn't have actually managed to sign up for anything! 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

When Oxfam went live, someone on the facebook group asked a question about what he'd signed up for and then several people questioned if he'd not read what he signed up for.  I helpfully pointed out that if he'd read every word on the page, he wouldn't have actually managed to sign up for anything!

To be fair - Oxfam do have a fairly decent site covering this, that he could and definitely should have explored beforehand. The Terms and Conditions are all on there as well - though admittedly I'm not sure that I've read them through myself.

Even without reading the T&Cs to the letter, it's more than possible to get a good handle on what's expected well ahead of opening time.

34 minutes ago, moogster said:

Oh that sucks 😞 ! Remember: book yourself in a "meeting", work from home, or at worse pretend you have a stomach bug and head for the loo whenever there's a Glastonbury ticket/purchase/volunteer spot opportunity.

I bloody will from now on haha!  Thanks for the advice & sympathy 🙂

19 minutes ago, incident said:

To be fair - Oxfam do have a fairly decent site covering this, that he could and definitely should have explored beforehand. The Terms and Conditions are all on there as well - though admittedly I'm not sure that I've read them through myself.

Even without reading the T&Cs to the letter, it's more than possible to get a good handle on what's expected well ahead of opening time.

Yes, that's a fair point.  I can't remember the question now but it was something not too important - the facebook group members just like to tell people to read the FAQs rather than help with a simple answer a lot of the time. 

I'm guessing a fair few on here have previous with Shelter. I know all the info will be forthcoming soon, but can anyone shed any light on the whole Bristol shuttle part of things?

Is this all happening on the Tuesday? Are you given a fixed bus time or is it a free-for all? There must be a few hundred volunteers to organise transporting on-site so I've no idea how it's been handled historically.

On top of that, wifey and I are moving from the East Midlands to the South West in the next week or two, so will soon be trying to figure out best method and time to get ourselves to Bristol from Helston way.  

26 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

I'm guessing a fair few on here have previous with Shelter. I know all the info will be forthcoming soon, but can anyone shed any light on the whole Bristol shuttle part of things?

Is this all happening on the Tuesday? Are you given a fixed bus time or is it a free-for all? There must be a few hundred volunteers to organise transporting on-site so I've no idea how it's been handled historically.

On top of that, wifey and I are moving from the East Midlands to the South West in the next week or two, so will soon be trying to figure out best method and time to get ourselves to Bristol from Helston way.  

My recollection of volunteering for Shelter last year (for the 1st time) was that the pick up point was Millennium Square in Bristol and that you could choose in advance - or give 1st choice/2nd choice - when you wanted to depart on the Tuesday. Your name is checked off as you get on the coach so it is all properly organised by Shelter volunteers. It seemed to work pretty smoothly and we left on time. You get dropped off about 5 minutes walk from the Avalon Compound so not too long to walk with your kit. If you are moving to the SW you are at least in the right region as there were others coming from much further staying in hotels overnight. The return trip is to the same location but when you are packed up you get a paper slip to confirm you have taken all your kit and you then join the 1st coach available so it is up to you how early to pack up and leave. We left about midday last year and what was painful was being stuck for 3 to 4 hours on the festival site in a traffic jam so getting back took about 6 hours!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

My recollection of volunteering for Shelter last year (for the 1st time) was that the pick up point was Millennium Square in Bristol and that you could choose in advance - or give 1st choice/2nd choice - when you wanted to depart on the Tuesday. Your name is checked off as you get on the coach so it is all properly organised by Shelter volunteers. It seemed to work pretty smoothly and we left on time. You get dropped off about 5 minutes walk from the Avalon Compound so not too long to walk with your kit. If you are moving to the SW you are at least in the right region as there were others coming from much further staying in hotels overnight. The return trip is to the same location but when you are packed up you get a paper slip to confirm you have taken all your kit and you then join the 1st coach available so it is up to you how early to pack up and leave. We left about midday last year and what was painful was being stuck for 3 to 4 hours on the festival site in a traffic jam so getting back took about 6 hours!

Just had an email saying the Shelter tickets are cancelled due to a technical error, so I'll hold fire on booking the hotel.

Bugger.