Volunteering 2023

neil93

34 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yeah we moved from Oxfam to recycling many moons ago after one interminable gate shift too many where you didnt do anything at all. Horses for courses isnt it.

Hi there, 

I’m volunteering with Oxfam is anybody able to advise what the different types of roles are. I assume from Kate’s post it can be just standing by a gate in the middle of nowhere but assume it may also include more interesting jobs?

also I am most likely still going to be trying in the resale for a GA ticket, does the resale normally fall before the cut off to give back your volunteering place without forfeiting all of your deposit?

thank you! 

17 minutes ago, Snoop Cat said:

Hi there, 

I’m volunteering with Oxfam is anybody able to advise what the different types of roles are. I assume from Kate’s post it can be just standing by a gate in the middle of nowhere but assume it may also include more interesting jobs?

also I am most likely still going to be trying in the resale for a GA ticket, does the resale normally fall before the cut off to give back your volunteering place without forfeiting all of your deposit?

thank you! 

We discussed it a few pages back, resale should be before the Oxfam deadline but it isn't guaranteed. 

Oxfam roles afaik are predominantly on the gates checking tickets, dealing with pass outs etc. You might also get a vehicle point as well which is checking the vehicle has the right pass. There's also checking passes for entry to the Oxfam field itself. 

I think that's 95% of the roles at Glastonbury for Oxfam. Usual caveat that this was last year, they could always be asked to do something different this year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Snoop Cat said:

Hi there, 

thank you! 

Last year there were 2,700 Oxfam volunteers on site - this includes stewards (the vast majority), campaigners and shop workers. Yes, that's enough people to feel like a decent sized festival. Oxfam's main roles are administering the pedestrian gate entrances into the main site but we also have lots of stewards on the vehicle gates too. Sadly, unlike festivals like Download, Womad and Boomtown, we do not work around the stages. The Ped gates are extremely important to GFL for security and Licensing reasons so they stick to the best in the market - Oxfam. Each Ped gate shift will have a HUGE team of stewards and several Supervisors. They check all the wristbands, tickets (and photos), issue passouts and effectively let you in and out through the Superfence. The gates run 24 hours a day. No, we don't normally issue wristbands ( though my tiny team on Sticklynch Gate did this last year). We are HIGHLY TRUSTED. If you are a first time steward there is every chance you will be on a Pedestrian gate.

• Thanks 1

A friend used to volunteer for Festaff a few years  ago and worked the wristbanding.  I see they are advertising again, what sort of roles do they do these days?  Tbh i prefer the sound of supporting a charity but sometimes needs must... 

27 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

Last year there were 2,700 Oxfam volunteers on site - this includes stewards (the vast majority), campaigners and shop workers. Yes, that's enough people to feel like a decent sized festival. Oxfam's main roles are administering the pedestrian gate entrances into the main site but we also have lots of stewards on the vehicle gates too. Sadly, unlike festivals like Download, Womad and Boomtown, we do not work around the stages. The Ped gates are extremely important to GFL for security and Licensing reasons so they stick to the best in the market - Oxfam. Each Ped gate shift will have a HUGE team of stewards and several Supervisors. They check all the wristbands, tickets (and photos), issue passouts and effectively let you in and out through the Superfence. The gates run 24 hours a day. No, we don't normally issue wristbands ( though my tiny team on Sticklynch Gate did this last year). We are HIGHLY TRUSTED. If you are a first time steward there is every chance you will be on a Pedestrian gate.

On that note shop and campaigner applications open tomorrow! 

I've updated to mark general steward as restricted application now, because you have to be fast. Also showing shop steward as restricted because it's really quite a lot of hoops to jump through to get there with Oxfam.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mp4ZMpJcffuwNSJBKKnEmfsdttyl0-kmpOHcPWVRD5E/

No more info on green Peace as yet.

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Martin Ashford said:

Thanks for this - much appreciated!

apologies if my original post came across as flippant - I fully appreciate the steward roles are important and need committed people. I have had a fabulous time at all festivals I have attended and that is in no small part down to the excellent organisation and lovely volunteers you meet who ensure you have a great, safe time. Rest assured I am fully committed to ensuring i do the role justice! 

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

We discussed it a few pages back, resale should be before the Oxfam deadline but it isn't guaranteed. 

Thanks for this. 

sorry I probably should’ve checked for this info earlier in the thread! 

Edited by Snoop Cat

27 minutes ago, Snoop Cat said:

Thanks for this - much appreciated!

apologies if my original post came across as flippant - I fully appreciate the steward roles are important and need committed people. I have had a fabulous time at all festivals I have attended and that is in no small part down to the excellent organisation and lovely volunteers you meet who ensure you have a great, safe time. Rest assured I am fully committed to ensuring i do the role justice! 

Didn't come across flippant at all. For what it's worth it was my first time last year, I ended up on a vehicle gate. Two shifts on a busy gate on the west side, and once on the gate up to camp Kerala. 

Pedestrian gate would be much more preferable in my opinion. At least the people you are letting in are punters who are happy to be there, I mainly had trade and security coming through, 90% of who saw me as an inconvenient pain in the arse.

16 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It's odd because a lot of people on here really love shelter, I'm sure many of their volunteers would find the idea of Oxfam pretty dull!

For me it came down to personal preference. Working behind the bars is hard work and after a shift I was knackered. However, I took the view that I'd rather be engaging with punters behind a bar and the time would also pass quicker relative to sitting next to a gate somewhere in a field on the periphery of the festival. So I'm happy to do the same again this year having failed in General Sale.

Festival campaigning and shop applications open at 10:30am today!

Campaigning 

Festival campaigning offers a fun and creative way to engage festivalgoers with Oxfam’s campaign messaging. Meet people from all walks of life, share your passion for issues that matter to you and help make real change. Plus, you’ll have evenings off to enjoy the festival and catch some live acts!

How to apply?

When applications open this morning, select the festival/s you’d like to campaign at and pay your refundable deposit. To complete your application, we also ask for a 300-word summary and a short video to demonstrate why you would make a great campaigner!

Shop volunteering

If you have volunteered at an Oxfam shop for 3 months or more, you could join us as we take our shops on the road. Engage with customers, keep the shops running and switch out stock to match the weather. There’s never a dull moment at an Oxfam festival shop!

How to apply?

Once applications open, you will be able to select the festival/s you’d like to volunteer at and add your Oxfam shop manager as a reference in your profile.

For more information on the roles and how to apply, visit our website 👉 https://bit.ly/3IVur7w

54 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

For me it came down to personal preference. Working behind the bars is hard work and after a shift I was knackered. However, I took the view that I'd rather be engaging with punters behind a bar and the time would also pass quicker relative to sitting next to a gate somewhere in a field on the periphery of the festival. So I'm happy to do the same again this year having failed in General Sale.

Yeh this is a tricky one, have to say I struggled with the tediousness of Oxfam shifts last year, but Shelter does sound like it would interfere more with seeing acts... 

1 hour ago, 4519dennis said:

I really don't mind working behind a bar, for me it really is the camping spot and coaches that are my main issue.  I've hit 50, I don't think I could survive a whole week without sleep! 

1 minute ago, leath02 said:

you got a page tracker set up?

I've taken it upon myself to monitor on behalf of one of my best mates, determined to get her to the farm

I do to good success yesterday (Shambala for a pal). Now however it seems ruined by this new set up.

Anyone tempted by/used the distill.io paid version as it can check via macro?

1 minute ago, leath02 said:

you got a page tracker set up?

I've taken it upon myself to monitor on behalf of one of my best mates, determined to get her to the farm

Yeh using Distill Chrome Extension, works well and very easy to set up. Do recommend it but it only works when you're on your laptop, so if last year is anything to go by, I think it's going to be tricky for awhile to get one with it, as presume there's lots of people on their laptops in the day, getting the notifications and racing for one spot at a time... last year I got mine by just randomly checking it late at night! 

Just now, abiwish said:

Yeh using Distill Chrome Extension, works well and very easy to set up. Do recommend it but it only works when you're on your laptop, so if last year is anything to go by, I think it's going to be tricky for awhile to get one with it, as presume there's lots of people on their laptops in the day, getting the notifications and racing for one spot at a time... last year I got mine by just randomly checking it late at night! 

Yeah I remember keeping track of your efforts last year

Think I'll maybe set up Distill for my pal after resale if we dont get her in then

Good luck!

• Thanks 1