How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

On 7/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, Kizzie said:

For me personally I think you're probably correct. Not so much the music on offer, but definitely the people. Far too many of them, way too busy for me to enjoy it. 

So many huge groups schlepping around together and shouting, why all the shouting? Like others have said not really interested in what's going on around them. At times it felt like an enormous hen/stag do.  

I can't really comment on the substances being taken, I've taken my own body weight in substances over the years. (But...I'm sure the drugs were nicer then 😏)

The thing is the festival is a completely different thing to the event you started going to in the 80s, I guess its up to you to decide whether or not this version is something you get enjoyment out of and still wish to go to, with the bigger site, crowds, shouting and hen/stag dos 🙂 

Leave later on the Monday. Just chill... get some rest, power naps. The day is a write off anyway so dont make the drive home dangerous by driving tired. 

Everything else I would do all over again! Tomorrow! Fuck this waiting a year lark haha 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

The thing is the festival is a completely different thing to the event you started going to in the 80s, I guess its up to you to decide whether or not this version is something you get enjoyment out of and still wish to go to, with the bigger site, crowds, shouting and hen/stag dos 🙂 

Ha, yes I know. I'm on board with it being a different beast, and am thankful for it. I'm really not one of the 'it's not as good as it used to be' people,  honest. 

I was playing devil's advocate a little bit 😉

Although I should caveat all that and say that we were camped on the opposite side of the site to where we usually camp because we decided to give Spring Ground a go for accessibility reasons. Not my favourite side of the site and I wouldn't want to camp there again. Too busy for me.

So basically I was being stroppy because I missed me mates and felt miles away from our usual haunts. 🙄

Was still too overcrowded though 😝

Edited to add, nothing wrong with Spring Ground at all, is a lovely field. I was more meaning that side of the site. 

Edited by Kizzie

16 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

miles away from our usual haunts. 🙄

cos we were in spring ground on the west side, we missed the east side, normally in east campervan fields, will see if we can sort that for next time.

18 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Ha, yes I know. I'm on board with it being a different beast, and am thankful for it. I'm really not one of the 'it's not as good as it used to be' people,  honest. 

Although I should caveat all that and say that we were camped on the opposite side of the site to where we usually camp because we decided to give Spring Ground a go for accessibility reasons. Not my favourite side of the site and I wouldn't want to camp there again. Too busy for me.

So basically I was being stroppy because I missed me mates and felt miles away from our usual haunts. 🙄

Just now, Neil said:

cos we were in spring ground on the west side, we missed the east side, normally in east campervan fields, will see if we can sort that for next time.

They did seem to have an accessibility part right at the top of the hill of death. Looked a great spot to be fair if you could get in there it would make a big difference I reckon.  

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

They did seem to have an accessibility part right at the top of the hill of death. Looked a great spot to be fair if you could get in there it would make a big difference I reckon.  

Yeah,we thought about it this year but couldn't get it all together in time. 

Definitely looking at that for next year though 😊

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Neil said:

mew, i'd ditch having a safety sidekick and would shoot all round the site on my mobility scooter, until the batteries ran out. I'd get to all of the corners of he site that i never get to because they're the most difficult parts to get to.

people didnt want to be the safety sidekick, having to walk when i had wheels, so tended to stay near campsite, as driving thru the crowds was hard work.

'Safety Sidekick' 🙄

He means 'the wife' 🤣  

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Did you manage to get any lights on the buggy …. It really does help with crowds … people will step out the way when they see you coming through 

Erm....no. 

I kept forgetting when we went out 😒

Bad 'Safety Sidekick' me 😬 

48 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Edited to add, nothing wrong with Spring Ground at all, is a lovely field. I was more meaning that side of the site. 

I find that now I'm just into my 40s a fair few things I like to do have have changed significantly....festivals being the big one, but I also do a lot of football and some of that has changed beyond all recognition, all seater stadiums, different types of people going, teenagers now filming the entire thing on their phones, YouTubers also filming everything on cameras,  massive increase in people shoving coke up their nose in the pub and then inside the ground....times move on and some of my friends didn't like it the changes so stopped going. 

I agree, it was overcrowded this year, I'll give 2023 a go and see how I feel about it afterwards and if 2022 was a one off then fair enough but if its like that every year going forward then I may re-consider a few things either how I do the festival or whether I go at all!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I agree, it was overcrowded this year, I'll give 2023 a go and see how I feel about it afterwards and if 2022 was a one off then fair enough but if its like that every year going forward then I may re-consider a few things either how I do the festival or whether I go at all!

I could have written that 😊

2 hours ago, Havors said:

Leave later on the Monday. Just chill... get some rest, power naps. The day is a write off anyway so dont make the drive home dangerous by driving tired. 

Everything else I would do all over again! Tomorrow! Fuck this waiting a year lark haha 

We are going to pack up earlyish, then explore the the site 1 last time, leave the car park at about 4 then stop on the way back at a hotel. Then finish the journey the next day.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:06 AM, blutarsky said:

Do you know my Mother-in-law by any chance? If I had a quid for every time I heard her say, “oh I love X - me and Pat are going to go see them next year,” - leaving me thinking, “you know tickets for X’s tour would have gone on sale at least a month ago?”

She’ll spend the next 9 months talking about how she’s going to see them, then change the narrative to, “we were going to go and see them, but I expect the tickets are sold out now” and fairly quickly pivot back to “seeing them next year,” all without so much as Googling to see if they even went on tour. 

Since Mrs B and I got Glastonbury tickets for the first time in 2016 she’s told us she’s “going to come next year, although I’m not sure how I’ll cope with the toilets,” on an annual basis. She does have a registration… because I set it up for her. Come the time we need to get organised for a sale she always defaults to “next year.”

In fairness to her, she did go to a small local festival a few weeks ago and camp overnight to see how she got on, so I guess leopards can change their spots. Also in fairness to her, I reckon Glastonbury would be too much for her physically. She’d need to camp out at a stage for a few hours at a time with a camping chair. 

You do know she is just stoned all the time so just doesn't get round to it

After a few weeks of reflection, I have come to conclusion that I will need to change things up if I get tickets again.

at 57 I found crowds too much this year. Not those at stages but as others have mentioned the site seemed far more busy this year. 

so I think I will need to select areas that are going to be quieter, meaning on occasion I will potentially see 3rd or fourth choice music at certain times and choose to relax in the green fields, circus areas. 

Also I may bite bullet and go preerected in Worthy or Stink.

it will be different but I am sure still fantastic.

Do you know my Mother-in-law by any chance? If I had a quid for every time I heard her say, “oh I love X - me and Pat are going to go see them next year,” - leaving me thinking, “you know tickets for X’s tour would have gone on sale at least a month ago?”

She’ll spend the next 9 months talking about how she’s going to see them, then change the narrative to, “we were going to go and see them, but I expect the tickets are sold out now” and fairly quickly pivot back to “seeing them next year,” all without so much as Googling to see if they even went on tour. 

Since Mrs B and I got Glastonbury tickets for the first time in 2016 she’s told us she’s “going to come next year, although I’m not sure how I’ll cope with the toilets,” on an annual basis. She does have a registration… because I set it up for her. Come the time we need to get organised for a sale she always defaults to “next year.”

In fairness to her, she did go to a small local festival a few weeks ago and camp overnight to see how she got on, so I guess leopards can change their spots. Also in fairness to her, I reckon Glastonbury would be too much for her physically. She’d need to camp out at a stage for a few hours at a time with a camping chair. 

He he, it's a funny phenomenon isn't it?

Of course the sad thing is that since most of us have experienced the tension of not getting tickets in one or more of the sales, that (if you're a selfish git like me) that also lowers ones inclination to offer great assistance to get those folks in.  I'm certainly more than happy to share tips, information and encouragement - but in the past there were plenty of times that I'd spend time doing the purchasing on behalf of people.  The combination of firstly risking my own attendance and secondly realising that folks were quite happy to sit back and let you do it without any effort on their own behalf put me off to a fair degree 😉 

He he, it's a funny phenomenon isn't it?

Of course the sad thing is that since most of us have experienced the tension of not getting tickets in one or more of the sales, that (if you're a selfish git like me) that also lowers ones inclination to offer great assistance to get those folks in.  I'm certainly more than happy to share tips, information and encouragement - but in the past there were plenty of times that I'd spend time doing the purchasing on behalf of people.  The combination of firstly risking my own attendance and secondly realising that folks were quite happy to sit back and let you do it without any effort on their own behalf put me off to a fair degree 😉 

9 hours ago, Kizzie said:

Very much the same.   

If it hadn't changed it wouldn't exist - so the millions donated to charity wouldn't have happened, aside from all those hundreds of thousands/millions who've attended and had a brilliant time in the intervening years.

• Like 1