Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

41 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Oh mate, proper shit isn't it. We know where we're headed, but for some reason we never quite think we'll get there... It won't happen to me syndrome. 

Glad things are going well for you, definitely keep us updated in here. I've accepted that I just need to be as good as I can over Christmas, as I'll be too busy to post all of the time on the forums, I'll probably just update once a week, but once Christmas is over, I'll hit it hard again, with daily updates. 

I've not heard of the 800kcal diet, and tbf, it does go against everything I thought I'd learned about nutrition. Few years ago I read a lot of studies that claim keto, or low carb diets in general, can push it into remission. Have a read of this... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/put-diabetes-into-remission-with-low-carb.html

But since then I've also read read studies such as this one in the BMJ that acknowledge low carb diets work, but that they may only work for up to 12 months, and could be negative in the long run. https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.m4743

So just be careful. Honestly, in your shoes, I think I'd just try and eat a balanced med style diet, with a healthy sized / small calorie deficit. A balanced diet that you could live the rest of your life by happily and healthily is probably best in the long run. But then, I'm certainly no doctor. 🙂 

Whatever you decide though, best of luck. As I said to somebody else in the thread, if you need a challenge buddy in the new year, happy to join you in some friendly step challenges / competitions. 🙂 

Thanks, may take you up on that. 

Diet wise, I am doing what you say, med style, calorie deficit, and the weight is coming off. One of my problems, like so many people, will be when that starts to slow. 

I know what you mean about nutrition advice and the 800kcal diet, but I guess advice changes. I don't know if it still does but up until recently NHS advice for type 2 diabetics was to go low fat and still build your meals around carbs! 

Like I said, the NHS is trialling it. Started in a few regions a couple of years ago then expanded this year including mine. I reckon I could handle two months. You apparently adjust quite quickly and don't feel too hungry. And I'd prefer to do it with my doctor. After the two months you start to reintroduce more normal food and ultimately I'd imagine midst end up on a type of Mediterranean diet afterwards. 

If I go for it I'll keep you updated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

For the first time in I genuinely have no idea how long, I am officially "merely" overweight. Just. BMI of 29.9. Hey, it counts.

Welcome to the club!

I just recalculated mine and realised I "only" need to shed about a stone to be back in the far end of the green. Sort of motivated me actually! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

For the first time in I genuinely have no idea how long, I am officially "merely" overweight. Just. BMI of 29.9. Hey, it counts.

I know BMI is far from perfect but it's still a handy guide when you've got a whole load of fat to shift. My mass is definitely not made up of muscle rather than fat

That's really good news, well done!!! 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

That's really good news, well done!!! 

Thanks. 

Not gonna lie, I am feeling quite proud of myself. Managed to resist the many temptations over Christmas. Had a few 'just one won't hurt' moments but stopped and had a word with myself cos I know one isn't the problem it's all of them, which one usually becomes for me. 

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Thanks. 

Not gonna lie, I am feeling quite proud of myself. Managed to resist the many temptations over Christmas. Had a few 'just one won't hurt' moments but stopped and had a word with myself cos I know one isn't the problem it's all of them, which one usually becomes for me. 

Hi Phil wrt diabetes and diet i coincidentally have just been invited onto a clinical trial that is investigating “ the effects of time of eating/drinking and blood sugar control as well as other key health markers.”

”Our research requires people (both male and female) who are aged 18 - 65 years. Volunteers must also have poor blood sugar control, informed by a healthcare provider or blood sample (HbA1c 42-47 mmol/mol).” (I haven’t had a blood test at my GP since 2018 so not sure if i am in same shape - have lost weight since then 😉)

It appears this is the protocol they are investigating……

“1) Intervention group – limit hours of eating/drinking to ~8 hours (no more than 10 hours) for 12 weeks. Participants in this group must not eat or drink before 8am and after 7pm. Water is allowed at any time.”

there is a control group that eats as they would normally.

Thought it might be interesting for those facing this potential issue that this approach (time controlled eating) is considered a possible positive intervention.

Edited by chuckles07

42 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Hi Phil wrt diabetes and diet i coincidentally have just been invited onto a clinical trial that is investigating “ the effects of time of eating/drinking and blood sugar control as well as other key health markers.”

”Our research requires people (both male and female) who are aged 18 - 65 years. Volunteers must also have poor blood sugar control, informed by a healthcare provider or blood sample (HbA1c 42-47 mmol/mol).” (I haven’t had a blood test at my GP since 2018 so not sure if i am in same shape - have lost weight since then 😉)

“1) Intervention group – limit hours of eating/drinking to ~8 hours (no more than 10 hours) for 12 weeks. Participants in this group must not eat or drink before 8am and after 7pm. Water is allowed at any time.”

Thought it might be interesting for those facing this potential issue that this approach (time controlled eating) is considered a possible positive intervention.

Interesting.

I've seen similar discussed in some of the stuff I've been reading about the 800 kcal diet but inconclusive as to its effectiveness. Guess that's what the trial is for. I might be misremembering slightly but I think it was more for the maintenance phase rather than the initial weight loss.

HbA1c of 42-47 is pre diabetic rather than full blown I think.

Good to see more non medication ways being tested though.

20 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Interesting.

I've seen similar discussed in some of the stuff I've been reading about the 800 kcal diet but inconclusive as to its effectiveness. Guess that's what the trial is for. I might be misremembering slightly but I think it was more for the maintenance phase rather than the initial weight loss.

HbA1c of 42-47 is pre diabetic rather than full blown I think.

Good to see more non medication ways being tested though.

I’m type 1 and have managed to keep my  hba1c within that range although I’m told it’s unusual . Wish there was some way back for me … although it seems the artificial pancreas … isn’t too far away . I might get a sensor and a pump that links on the nhs this year … game changer for me 

13 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

So they aren't interested in restricting calories at all, is what I'm getting from that - just whether intermittent fasting has a positive effect.  Seems to be a lot of indication that intermittent fasting is a really good way of restricting your eating - I often manage ~14 hours without eating if I stop at 6/7 in the evening and then delay breakfast until 10/11 the next morning.  Not as tough as I thought it would be, but that's the food bit, food and drink would actually doing it properly!  

Don't know if it'd be as effective as actual calorie restriction, but calorie restriction is incredibly tough - so I'd be very interested in how well this works.  Intermittent fasting would work by effectively restricting your calories as unless you're hell-bent to cram all your meals (and booze) into the available 8-10 hours then you are likely to end up eating less than normal anyway.  Also the 14-16 hour period apparently gives your body a bit of a breather from having to constantly be processing everything we ingest by eating throughout the day.  So possibly some good stuff happening during that period with regards to the sciency-insulin stuff too.

Best of luck if you're taking part - get the 12 weeks done before glastonbury!

Got my workout done today but got a long way to go! Let myself go at Glasto 22 and fell completely off the wagon! 🤣 Put on a stone since then...not that I really care about the number on the scales but feel so rubbish, terrible skin and lethargic! 

It's taken me so many years to figure out what I 'should' be eating. There really is no one-size fits all diet is there. Best formula I've found, work out what irritates your gut (for me it's gluten and nightshade food), first thing to go. Then the most important thing after that I've found is Macro balance!!! Then finally, calorie deficit according to your activity levels. Only takes a couple of months of thinking about it, then it just becomes second nature. I just need to keep telling myself that and get back into it! 2nd January, I'm on it! 🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:36 AM, philipsteak said:

My luck ran out 3 weeks ago. Well, longer than that obviously but go the confirmation 3 weeks ago. 

I'm 46 and one of those people who's always been overweight to varying degrees, even as a kid. Probably at my heaviest just before lock down 1. And I actually lost weight and got fitter during the lock downs. My job is pretty sedentary so with a lot of free time and an empty Lake District to play in I was moving around a lot more than usual. Still very overweight/obese though. And I've kept up the hiking since. Nothing huge, but some pretty challenging stuff for an overweight unfit person, especially after catching covid which knocked my for 6, and in hindsight was possibly made worse by then having diabetes.

Anyway, after putting off going to the doctors for months despite the obvious symptoms (if the results don't confirm it then I don't have it, eh?) I finally went and got tested. And my numbers were very high apparently. But the good news is, it's given me the kick up the arse I've long needed. Annoyed with myself that this is what it took though. I know there can be  factors out of your control, but a lot is in your control so it's such a stupid disease to have. Or at least that's how I feel about it. 

So far it's going well. I've really cut out the crap from my diet, especially the snacking which was always my problem. Fuck I miss toast. But not as much as I'd miss one of my feet, or my eyesight so, you know...Lost a fair bit of weight, but more importantly my blood sugar levels are much better. Apart from the odd blip they are well within safe levels. Although I am on Metformin so I don't know how much is down to my diet and how much is the drug. Tempted to come off it and see what happens. Got my first full review at the end of Jan so that will be the real indicator regarding blood sugar levels, rather than the finger prick tests I'm doing at home.

I'm interested in trying the 800 cal a day diet that is supposed to be able to put type 2 into remission. And South Cumbria is one of the regions trialing it on the NHS. My GP didn't seem to keen when I talked to her about it. There does seem to be some push back from some GPs but the evidence really is there that it works. Tough, but with an end date and a goal in sight, doable. I may end up just doing it myself (still telling my GP i'm doing it of course)

So anyway, Glastonbury. Hopefully by next June I'll be a lot lighter, a lot fitter and with all my limbs still present. Although that is one way to lose weight...

First time I've actually talked about this with anyone other than my GP. 

Type 2 here also.

sounds like you are on the right track.  It’s a tough old slog that’s for sure.  I’m interested and concerned about what food will be available.  

Eating out on a low carb diet is very restrictive as you are aware I’m sure.

Thankfully we have the caravan so will be able to bring more suitable food with us.

4 hours ago, Derby_Dave said:

Type 2 here also.

sounds like you are on the right track.  It’s a tough old slog that’s for sure.  I’m interested and concerned about what food will be available.  

Eating out on a low carb diet is very restrictive as you are aware I’m sure.

Thankfully we have the caravan so will be able to bring more suitable food with us.

Hi Dave

I think I am. I'm certainly taking my health and fitness much more seriously that I have for years/ever. Which is what got me in to this mess in the first place. 

I've only actually eaten out twice since the diagnosis. Once was the work xmas dinner, which I'd already ordered. I decided to just go for it, partly as an experiment to see what it did to my blood sugar and partly to see if I could then easily go back to being 'good'. (Always been a problem in the past, common I know). On the second one I did easily which was satisfying. And on the first I recorded my lowest levels ever, right at the bottom of the healthy range. Much to the bafflement of my GP when I told her what I'd had (the full trad, prawn cocktail, turkey and trimmings, xmas pud. She made a weird sort of yelping/squeaking noise when I got to xmas pud)

The other time I ate out there was literally one thing on the menu, and even that came with bread. Definitely will have an effect on Glastonbury. I'm in a small van so can also bring more stuff with me. I also volunteer so will have to completely rethink snacks on shift. No more Haribo to get through the night shift!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, p.pete said:

So they aren't interested in restricting calories at all, is what I'm getting from that - just whether intermittent fasting has a positive effect.  Seems to be a lot of indication that intermittent fasting is a really good way of restricting your eating - I often manage ~14 hours without eating if I stop at 6/7 in the evening and then delay breakfast until 10/11 the next morning.  Not as tough as I thought it would be, but that's the food bit, food and drink would actually doing it properly!  

Don't know if it'd be as effective as actual calorie restriction, but calorie restriction is incredibly tough - so I'd be very interested in how well this works.  Intermittent fasting would work by effectively restricting your calories as unless you're hell-bent to cram all your meals (and booze) into the available 8-10 hours then you are likely to end up eating less than normal anyway.  Also the 14-16 hour period apparently gives your body a bit of a breather from having to constantly be processing everything we ingest by eating throughout the day.  So possibly some good stuff happening during that period with regards to the sciency-insulin stuff too.

Best of luck if you're taking part - get the 12 weeks done before glastonbury!

Sorry for belated response, been away for NY. I have decided to give it a miss as I suspect it wont start till Feb time and 14 weeks gets you into May. We normally go on hols in the time and also have a few boozy weekend reunions with old mates in Mar/Apr so i decided that it would be unfair to start if i was selected for the intervention group. It’s the not drinking thing after 7pm that buggers up the thing for me.

But as per your other points re restricted eating times, sort of fasting, i think you are bang on and it it is quite powerful in managing metabolism and ultimately weight. Any way HNY to you and all the “fit team”.

Put a few lbs on over the festive period even though I carried on exercising through, nothing too strenuous just kept ticking along.  Back in the gym yesterday and felt good on the treadmill so went to do a few sprints and second one in pop goes my hamstring, not a great start to getting back into shape.  Will have to change cardio sessions for the next few weeks at least.

And damn that cheese that's still in the fridge!

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

And damn that cheese that's still in the fridge!

I got quite a lot of chocolates and related from my family and am bringing them little by little to work. Not good for my colleague's waist line but much better for mine!

I now went to run 4 times and thought it was an ok enough activity to get my heart really pumping vs half lazy attempts at the gym. So gym membership not renewed, good shoes purchased, and a nudge in my phone for little stretching/abs/upperbody workouts on no run days. Hopefully I can make that last!

26 minutes ago, moogster said:

I got quite a lot of chocolates and related from my family and am bringing them little by little to work. Not good for my colleague's waist line but much better for mine!

I now went to run 4 times and thought it was an ok enough activity to get my heart really pumping vs half lazy attempts at the gym. So gym membership not renewed, good shoes purchased, and a nudge in my phone for little stretching/abs/upperbody workouts on no run days. Hopefully I can make that last!

Once the first 2 weeks are out of the way, that's the toughest part for me, then it becomes enjoyable again.

I definitely need to do more stretching, no excuse in the evenings really when I'm sat watching the TV.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

Can anyone recommend high arch foot supports for trainers? Preferably Converse. It's niche i know but worth asking the question.

I've used Superfeet Blue in the past - https://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/blue - might end up a bit of a tight squeeze for your feet in them though, I have narrow feet so worked ok for me. Superfeet Green also work well for me in DMs.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I've used Superfeet Blue in the past - https://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/blue - might end up a bit of a tight squeeze for your feet in them though, I have narrow feet so worked ok for me. Superfeet Green also work well for me in DMs.

Love how they've got an insole "finder" process so you can find what suits your foot/footwear best.

Actually @Johnnyseven i'm in the process of purchasing some classic DM's and was considering breaking and wearing them in just in time for the festival. Have you worn them for the festival before? How have you found DM's to walk around in?

Edited by Justcalledtosay

I'm slowly building up my fitness after having long covid and then having a kidney removed in June last year. I'm up to 5000 steps a day now. Steep inclines are still tricky, which is a bit of an issue when you live on a hill but I'n getting there.
Next goal is to manage a full days work plus the walking commute without it ruining me. 

2 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Love how they've got an insole "finder" process so you can find what suits your foot/footwear best.

Actually @Johnnyseven i'm in the process of purchasing some classic DM's and was considering breaking and wearing them in just in time for the festival. Have you worn them for the festival before? How have you found DM's to walk around in?

Never worn DMs at a Glasto. Not the best footwear for a festival to be honest. They've not waterproof at all, the soles are crap in muddy or wet weather and they're very hot for your feet if the weather is good. If you buy modern ones the soles wear out really quickly and the leather tends to split where your foot bends. They're just about ok for wearing around town etc but modern DMs are nothing like ones I had in the 90s that lasted me years. I hear Solovair make better quality DM type shoes but I haven't tried them so can't really comment.

• Thanks 1